navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Found your spot?
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Found your spot? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ

0 posted 2003-04-15 09:09 PM

When I first joined PipTalk, I was a wanderer, posting evenly around the forums. But a few weeks later and I realized I belong at the Dark section. I'm morbid, depressed (I think I need medication for it, but poetry is the best and the cheapest treatment I could find), and just plain DARK.

Does anyone else tend to post at one particular forum, or are you pretty even all throughout?

© Copyright 2003 George Salazar - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2003-04-15 09:54 PM

There are a good many threads floating around that discuss the relationship between poetry and depression, at least as we see it. You should find some of them for more depth than I can offer tonight, but the bottom line is that poetry is never a substitute for medical help. It's a bit like taking aspirin for a brain tumor. Sometimes, it's even worse, especially if the temporary surcease of pain keeps someone from getting the help they really need. True depression is a medical condition, little different from a broken arm or a brain tumor. We continually, almost relentlessly, encourage people suffering from clinical depression to get the help they need. But we don't offer aspirins or condone their misuse as a treatment.
IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ
2 posted 2003-04-15 11:03 PM

I meant it as a joke cuzz to relate me to the Dark forums, but thinking it over, I dont know now. I'm not exactly happy, haven't been in a long time, but I'm content, and I dunt think depressed ppl are content with their lives or they wudnt be depressed ryt? But enuff bout me, and dis ia a whole diff topic, so bak 2 da question, does anyone else have a favorite forum, are you all evenly mixed all around your posts?
JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
3 posted 2003-04-16 10:30 AM

Okay, one point for Ron.

Before I answer the frivolity of this post I will comment on the seriousness of it.

Ron is absolutely correct, if there is a chance, see your doc... I spent many years inside of a bottle of burbon (or vodka, beer, wine, gin...) and thought my morose feelings were a result of that abuse... not until I sobered up and stayed that way for a year did I realize the feelings were still the same.  A visit to the doc, trials with some varying medications and now I am much better, sober for 3+ years and no longer depressed.

Being a man, I would have never have thought I could be "Depression". However, clinical depression among men is more common than we are led to believe.  As men, we are conditioned to pass it off, to "cowboy up" and go on with our lives.  But chemical imbalance can destroy us, or make our lives miserable, if left unattended.  Okay, enough sermonizing...

I like the Dark, but there is so little commenting going on in there my rather large and extremely fragile ego can't handle it. The Open forum moves so fast and again, I go unnoticed...  So now I float through all forums, but I think I will be settling down in the Corner Pub and the forums in the "Sanctuary".

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
Nil Desperandum, Fata viem invenient

[This message has been edited by JP (04-16-2003 10:33 AM).]

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

4 posted 2003-04-16 05:53 PM

What I love about Passions is that it IS so diverse, I seem to be able to find a forum for every mood. (And I got a lot of moods!) And notice how I'm not going NEAR Ron's point about depression and poetry.)-- What? Denial? Who, me?
Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

5 posted 2003-04-16 05:58 PM

Yah... I don't know. I wander... And I'm with Serenity. *grin*

Kielo

I know only one thing, and that thing is that I know nothing.

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
6 posted 2003-04-16 06:02 PM

I don't wander when it comes to posting my own work.  I post in Sanctuary, because I like the low-speed, high-quality nature of the work that appears in there...

As for replying, I follow a few authors around the forums, and always reply to whatever I see in Sanctuary.  Whenever I'm in piptalk I use Today's Topics, so I usually get the big picture.

IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ
7 posted 2003-04-16 07:28 PM

Sanctuary? No wonder I haven't been able able to enjoy your poems yet Parasite and JP. I dunt think I've eva gon der, and since it's fo senior moderators only, I tend to stay behind the barricade. I dont know if I can even reply to the poems there...eh, just wait. A few more years and ah be reppin ova it, lolz.
jaysh
since 2003-04-16
Posts 133
IL, USA
8 posted 2003-04-17 11:29 PM

I just recently started posting my poems here, it just matters what kind of mood I am in, and that determines what I write, and then I will put it in a suitable forum, most of the time I put my poems in the teen forum considering im only 14, but if I write a good one every know and then you will find it elsewhere.
Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
9 posted 2003-04-17 11:42 PM

quote:
since it's fo senior moderators only, I tend to stay behind the barricade.

Senior members only.  400 more posts or so and you can post there all you like.

IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ
10 posted 2003-04-17 11:56 PM

ooh, typo. I meant members. Ahh still it dunt matta since i wunt be able to be in der for a long long time.

Jaysh~I'm 14 too but I stopped going to the teen forums, dunt know why, but it didn't click with me as well as Dark. It's my personality I guess. Instead of fantising about some hot chick Im dreaming about how beautiful the rain is when it's dreary. But I did notice it's mostly the same people everytime who replies there, not a lot of diversity. Still it's my "spot" and the majority of my works will most likely be there.

[This message has been edited by IcyFlamez89 (04-18-2003 12:02 AM).]

Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

11 posted 2003-04-20 06:37 PM

I used to haunt the Dark Forum, but then when it started to turn to crap I left. Besides, a bunch of adolescents whining endlessly about their "depression" isn't my cup of tea. It used to be, but I grew out of it.

I did post in the Teen forum for quite a while, but... I'm not really feeling that anymore. So every now and then I post in Open or in the Prose forums. However since I haven't been writing lately anyway, I haven't been posting at all.

[There is a difference between having depression and being depressed. One is a disease, and one is something that you are emotionally going through. If you have depression then you should probably seek treatment. If you are depressed, then I suggest doing what you are doing now. Expressing your emotions.]

Jaime

the faeries creep into my hair at night leaving it in terrible knots

IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ
12 posted 2003-04-20 07:24 PM

Now that's a little harsh dont u think. Well I did ask for opinions, and you gave an honest one. But to call the forum "crap" is a bit too strong, ne? [no i didnt mispell that last word, lol. Just like sayin it]. Im also a lil offended that you said our poems sound whiny. Dont like the theme? Fine wid me, but dissin us flat out, that kinda gets to me. Plus not all of Dark is about depression. And the work posted is not crap either. Not as diverse as the other forums, maybe, but the pieces are of quality nonetheless.

OK, anyone else wanna tell us there "spot"?

[This message has been edited by IcyFlamez89 (04-20-2003 07:25 PM).]

Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

13 posted 2003-04-21 02:57 PM

Well that's my honest opinion that you've got right there. I can't give you anything else.

I think there are a lot of good poets lurking around here. Don't get me wrong. I just lost my taste for "all I see is darkness, the light has disappeared from my eyes and I am lost in shadow" blah blah blah. And since I somehow always manage to stumble upon the those poems when I go out hunting... well..

Everybody has to do their own thing. Whatever you're into - go for it.

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
14 posted 2003-04-21 06:08 PM

I'm wonder whether or not you've searched the archives?  The orginal Dark had some deliciously dark stuff in it.

Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

15 posted 2003-04-22 02:41 PM

Yes, it does. I'm not actually this new of a member. I've just changed my name a bunch of times.

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
16 posted 2003-04-22 11:16 PM

The problem with "Dark" poetry is that the word "Dark" is a great big bait for people who want to show off how cool they are.  Unfortunately, the truly "Dark" poets get drowned out by the people who think dark is about "depression."  That's just whiney poetry, not dark poetry.

There are some excellent dark poets at piptalk.  Do a smart search on anonymousfemale or bsquirrel... if you'd like to see what real dark poetry is.  Believe it or not, it's possible to be a "dark" poet without using Icon #41.

IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ
17 posted 2003-04-23 01:25 AM

icon 41? I dunt think I've seen dat around. Anywayz, you're right. When i first Came into Dark, there was a whole lot od diversity. Broken joy, Regrettable events, Shattered dreams, etc. and the proportions were much more equal. But now dey have become a bit one sided, ne? But my poems dunt sound whiny...do they? ='(  
I'd like to see some more new faces there, but I guess I'll have to take comfort in the archives until then. How my spine used to tingle and shiver when I read those poems. Those were truly dark. Still, there are still some very fine poets/poems scattered about in Dark...it's just a lil bit harder 2 find now.

[This message has been edited by IcyFlamez89 (04-23-2003 01:27 AM).]

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
18 posted 2003-04-26 02:55 AM

Here's a challenge Ice and LP go into the archives, find two poems each that you think epitomizes 'dark' and post the titles and locations (or links if you are more capable than me), send the rest of us on a journey to visit what you like.

Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
19 posted 2003-04-26 12:16 PM

i tend to post poems generally in open poetry

(¨`·.·´¨) (¨`·.·´¨)
  ·.¸(¨`·.·´¨)¸.·´
     *`·.¸.·´*

Love Always,
Marrie

I TAWT I TAW a puddy CAT!

Local Parasite
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
20 posted 2003-04-26 01:22 PM

Ok, JP... I'll be lazy and just use two from the poets I mentioned.

Acoustic Guitar

Butterfly Master

[This message has been edited by Local Parasite (04-26-2003 01:23 PM).]

IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ
21 posted 2003-04-26 02:52 PM

/pip/Forum9/HTML/000208.html
/pip/Forum35/HTML/000333.html

Ok, there's my two.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Found your spot?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary