navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Poets.
pipTalk Lounge
Post A Reply Post New Topic Poets. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking

0 posted 2003-04-08 05:06 PM

I was just saying the other day how reading a particular poet's book has really had an effect on me and my poetry, I even managed to capture some of the poet's technique, or I think so at least. So I am wondering two things, the first is have you read any particular poems/poet's work that you thought "that was cool" I have got to try that and secondly have you read any poetry books and thought, "I like that style/form/phrase, I just have to try it"?

even kittens can kill

© Copyright 2003 Andrew Sewell - All Rights Reserved
bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

1 posted 2003-04-08 05:42 PM

It's a large, long list, with names like Robert Frost, Billy Collins, James Merrill, Alfred Lord Tennyson, Emily Dickinson, E.E. Cummings, T.S. Eliot, Mark Strand, Walt Whitman, plus lots of collections, anthologies and literary supplements.

To answer your second question, I was reading Billy Collins on the plane ride home from Las Vegas back in January, and immediately wrote "The Worst Cup of Coffee."

You can't help but be influenced by the voices you read. They sorta just get absorbed into you, until you don't realize the separate strains and inspirations anymore, and they all work to form one, unique voice -- yours.

Mike

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
2 posted 2003-04-08 06:33 PM

I happen to be a fan of poetry from the romantic era...

William Wordsworth, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, John Keats, Percy Bysshe Shelley, to name a few... as for the influences, I'd say Keats had the most influence over me... and I recall "borrowing" the format of a Robert Browning poem.

Of course, Keats is my overall favourite... I fell in love with him while reading "I stood tip-toe upon a little hill..." that poem just blew my mind, I haven't thought of poetry the same way since.

God becomes as
we are that we
may be as he
is
~William Blake

WinterWren
since 2002-12-01
Posts 1044
...Coming to
3 posted 2003-04-08 07:24 PM

The littlest word or phrase from a poem can put so many ideas in my head, and I'll write a completely different poem from just that one word!
It's such a beautiful thing, the art of writing.

WinterWren
"Even a fool knows that we cannot touch the stars, but that doesn't keep the wise from trying."

JP
since 1999-05-25
Posts 1343
Loomis, CA
4 posted 2003-04-09 03:07 AM

Don't tell anyone this, but...

Reading poetry isn't tops on my list of favorite things to do...  

However, when I did an article on the BEAT era for the Passion's newsletter I kinda became enamoured with the Beat style... lot of my stuff reflects that style (just a tad here and there).

As for reading other poetry... my first book of poetry that I read cover to cover was "Visions on the Web", other than that I've read a smattering of Whitman, Dylan, and Boy George....

Yesterday is ash, tomorrow is smoke; only today does the fire burn.
Nil Desperandum, Fata viem invenient

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

5 posted 2003-04-09 09:29 AM

Sure....it happeneds everyday when reading in here...I think when ever a writer reads anothers words and they are drawn to that persons style or technique our writing will be in some way, inspired by or influenced...
also music has that same effect on my poetry.
Then there is the classics that we usually were first exposed to in school...

The first poetry I remember reading that made me want to read more of that person was Frost, and then later Kipling..
and some guys named Shakespeare & Poe  

[This message has been edited by Janet Marie (04-09-2003 09:30 AM).]

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

6 posted 2003-04-09 04:21 PM

I read the book "speak" and it made me write a poem by that name. I think it was just the strength of that word.

Never be normal!

chasing rain
since 2001-05-15
Posts 737
Canada
7 posted 2003-04-09 09:28 PM

In the Lord of the Rings, as well as The Hobbit, Tolkien writes some great poetry in his songs. The format and meter is simply inspiring.  

Leah

[This message has been edited by chasing rain (04-09-2003 09:29 PM).]

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
8 posted 2003-04-09 09:37 PM

I've read one of Frost, a bit of Chaucer, a bit of Shakespeare, and that's about it... I'll get to it hehe.
As a result, my style is my own. It's interesting lol

Life may be hard, but it's your attitude that determines your happieness

Android 17
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-07-21
Posts 664
Winnipeg
9 posted 2003-04-10 05:23 PM

I haven't read much, since now---but so far...EVERYTHING I've read, has inspired me in one way or another. But mostly, I've grown off of Reymond Benson's works. I know---it's not as earth-shattering as the other ones out there...but hey! He's an author!

The world is good, and nothing bad ever happens!

LoveBug
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-01-08
Posts 4697

10 posted 2003-04-10 09:45 PM

Robert Frost has had a big impact on me and how I look at poetry and at things in general. It's great how he uses nature to tell his parables...

Oh, make me Thine forever
And should I fainting be
Lord, let me never ever
Outlive my love for Thee

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
11 posted 2003-04-11 10:48 AM

(sigh) I am heavily influenced by the works of many of the poets also mentioned, but moreover, I like to look at literature from all across the world, from Gabriel Garcia Marquez of Colombia, who is a marvelous writer, to a lot of Arabic tales and myths! I feel you only live once, so it is important and essential to get to know the world all around you, and not just in this particular nation.

Music too is a prime motivator to me! It helps me get the rhythm across, only I don't listen to popular artists when writing, I listen to instrumentals. I find if you have a pop song on, you tend to wamnt to write a poem with the same beat. If you go instrumental, it works much better!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

[This message has been edited by Mistletoe Angel (04-11-2003 10:51 AM).]

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
12 posted 2003-04-11 10:59 AM

Yes.
To both.

chasing rain
since 2001-05-15
Posts 737
Canada
13 posted 2003-04-11 07:19 PM

Well, forget the fact that he's a spanish poet, but Lorca...

And Nick Bantock's books are quite artistic and poetic, thus an inspiration for themes that may not come to mind...

Leah
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
14 posted 2003-04-22 02:46 PM

It would have to be Thomas Kinsella's Mirror in February, the first poem I could really relate to.

"Aboard a shipwreck train, give my umbrella to the rain dogs For I am a rain dog, too" Tom Waits

IcyFlamez89
since 2003-02-14
Posts 292
Jersey City NJ
15 posted 2003-04-22 03:43 PM

I've tried makin poems like Emily Dickinson...but like her no one will these poems till I'm dead, lol.

As a style, I'm very flexible. I sway around from style to style, but my genre is fairly constant. No matter what form of writing it is, it's mostly about love and pain. maybe nature.

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=IcyFlamez89

hush
since 2001-05-27
Posts 1653
Ohio, USA
16 posted 2003-04-27 03:39 AM

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who likes Mark Strand...

It all depends on the mood. If I'm in a lovey-dovey mood, I'm reading Pablo Neruda or Richard Brautigan. Allen Ginsberg's good for any mood of mine, and there are a couple Diane Di Prima (Rant) and Amiri Baraka (Preface to a Twenty-volume Suicid Note) poems I go over again and again. A good musician/poet also in the beatnik vein is Patti Smith ("Go Rimbaud! Go Rimbaud!")

Emily Dickinson's always good, Gwendolyn Brooks (We Real Cool) and Lucille Clifton (Homage to my Hips) are also really good. Some other more obscure writers I love: Nicole Blackman, Daphne Gottlieb, Sarah Jones (Your Revolution is an amazing song/poem that has been banned by the FCC for no good reason other than that it has some very strong social criticisms of modern rap culture, it's really worth looking her up and downloading it), L.A. Ruocco (she's more of a performance artist, but her multi-media book "Document Zippo" influenced my writing very heavily for a very long time.)

Right, and I can't leave this thread without plugging Ani DiFranco. She's immensely talented. It's really worth it to listen to her.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » pipTalk Lounge » Poets.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary