navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #37 » Ontarian to Adore
Open Poetry #37
Post A Reply Post New Topic Ontarian to Adore Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
poettothecars
since 2006-02-10
Posts 1093
New Zealand

0 posted 2006-05-20 12:01 PM

Ontarian to Adore

19 May 2006

Was it another word to rhyme
or another left over instead
This feeling, an understanding
all upon a mind being read

Mystery eyes and a mischief smile
that love underneath
The pain of a while

Your beauty, tranquillity
your heart, soft to sweet
Everything you own
those shoes upon your feet

No other word, nothing without amour
This love, this beauty
of hazel eyes, Ontarian to adore

The Ontarian River is the term used for the pre-glacial river that began the creation of
the valley now occupied by Lake Ontario. The original flow was thought to have been
westward beginning from the present area of the Saint Lawrence River at its lowest point
in Canada to eventually join the Mississippi River drainage system in the USA. In the Ontarian
River creating part of what is known as the Canadian province of Ontario and the western
region of New York State in the United States of America.

Lake Ontario covers an area of 19,529 sq kilometres (7,540 sq miles), and is 311 kilometres
(193 miles) long and 85 kilometres (53 miles) at its greatest width, between South East
Ontario, Canada, and North West of New York state, USA. In being the smallest and lowest
of the Great Lakes. It has a surface elevation of 75 metres (246 feet) above sea level and
a maximum depth of 237 metres (778 feet).

Lake Ontario is fed by the waters of Lake Erie by way of the Niagara River; other tributaries
are the Genesee, Oswego, and Black rivers in New York and the Trent River in Ontario. The
lake is drained to the northeast by the Saint Lawrence River on a path to the Atlantic Ocean.

The chief Canadian, Ontarian lakeshore cities of Lake Ontario are Saint Catherine’s,
Hamilton, Toronto, Oshawa, and Kingston; on the south shore are Rochester and Oswego,
in the State of New York (USA).

© 2006 Christopher W Herbert (a New Zealand Poet)

a poet who cares

© Copyright 2006 Christopher W Herbert - All Rights Reserved
Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
1 posted 2006-05-20 12:07 PM

Gorgeous tribute, especially since I hail from St. Catharines, Ontario and am a PROUD Canadian!
Obviously this is a keeper

Melissa~

Intellectually I know that Canada is no better than any other country. Emotionally I KNOW that Canada is the best country in the world!

poettothecars
since 2006-02-10
Posts 1093
New Zealand
2 posted 2006-05-20 12:13 PM

the above poem is connected with Hamilton, Ontario

Only if you come from Saint Catherine's this might interest you /pip/Forum94/HTML/002929.html or this one on the Niagara Falls /pip/Forum94/HTML/001048.html

Only I have never been to Canada in my life, but in my imagination  

a poet who cares

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
3 posted 2006-05-20 12:15 PM

"Mystery eyes and a mischief smile
that love underneath
The pain of a while"

so many gems from your pen

poettothecars
since 2006-02-10
Posts 1093
New Zealand
4 posted 2006-05-20 12:20 PM

However this was composed on the back of my works of "Colours of Rainbows" and some words end up featuring in both poems, composed moments apart
/pip/Forum94/HTML/004028.html

I will admit to such a similarity

a poet who cares

poettothecars
since 2006-02-10
Posts 1093
New Zealand
5 posted 2006-05-20 07:16 AM

I just had to come back and add this note.

For I once had a friendship with a woman named Susan, whose oldest daughter was named Melissa.
As if irony can strike us at any time.

a poet who cares

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #37 » Ontarian to Adore

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary