navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » Transferring poems from Word to Passions?
Geek Stuff
Post A Reply Post New Topic Transferring poems from Word to Passions? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2009-03-03 07:53 PM

Howdy,

Why is it when poems are cut/pasted from Word to here, and if there are any ' or " in them they end up showing gibberish when transferred?  Here is one for instance, first and second stanza.  Someone already fixed her title for her.
/pip/Forum100/HTML/001311.html

Me, and my storytelling use lots of those ' and " so any suggestions, besides don't use them?     Sure takes more time to fix that that write the darn thing.  

© Copyright 2009 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2009-03-03 08:37 PM

Good question, Sharon. I wish more people would think to ask it.

One alternative is simply to paste everything from Word to Notepad, which will strip most of the special control characters out of the document. Then you can copy and paste from Notepad to your browser. But . . . there's a better way.

From the menu in Word, go to Tools / Autocorrect. Click on the tab for "Autoformat as you type" and take the check mark off everything.

Now, when you type something you'll get a regular quotation mark instead of Microsoft's "smart quote." Similarly, all the other "special" control characters will be avoided.

If you ever want to actually USE all those fancy control characters that no one else except a printer can understand, go to Format / Autoformat. When you click on OK, Word will go through your whole document and do what you told it not to automatically do while you type. You get the best of both worlds.  

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
2 posted 2009-03-03 09:37 PM

Thanks Ron, off to try that!  

This is a test, only a test, please remain seated.

He said, "Go to Word, then "un-check" all the auto formatting." Okay, let's see if it works.

Wow!  It works, thanks again.

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
3 posted 2009-04-05 10:48 PM

Oh man ... if I had only asked this about 2 yearsa ago, rofl. Thank you Sharon and Ron! This is actually going to correct a problem at my office too, lol.  :>

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2009-07-22 09:31 PM

Well get this - on my screen I see really weird stuff on people's post like: /pip/Forum110/HTML/001081.html
On Sea's poem where the ... is now there was a really weird character there this morning?  Is this because I use Firefox?    

I saw weird things on Balladeer's thread as well.  Like a little box with letters beside it. /pip/Forum6/HTML/001839.html
Obama's shows to me as Obama’s and this:

“The spending required for health care, the tax on business with a [climate change] cap-and-trade system, and the wasteful spending inside the stimulus will finish the job that the Chinese mercantilism began,” he said. “We’re headed for a disaster here.”

I sent you an email from Michael as we discussed it, but maybe I am the only one seeing this?   I am kinda weird anyway I guess.   Could be one of those things that make you go, "Hmmmmm."

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
5 posted 2009-07-22 10:09 PM

Beats me. I don't see anything. Maybe that's because I use Firefox or maybe because I never see anything wrong with anything I write!!
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
6 posted 2009-07-22 10:44 PM

The browser doesn't matter so much as the individual computer does.

Non-standard ASCII characters (generally anything over 128) are going to look different on different computers, depending on what character sets and fonts have been loaded on the computer.

Generally, any character that's not on a standard typewriter (and Word uses a lot of those) is almost guaranteed to look funny on someone's computer. Might not be yours, might not be mine, but someone somewhere is going to be scratching their head.

jwesley
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-04-30
Posts 7563
Spring, Texas
7 posted 2012-01-27 09:15 PM

Sometimes it's the font itself (doesn't support those characters) but, I've found mostly it's still WORD ... by turning off Smart Tags and AutoCorrect items. Of course this turns off Words auto-functionality, if that bothers you.

Mine all cleared up when made sure, under AutoCorrect, AutoFormat Tab, Replace, all boxes were un-checked except Internet and network paths with hyperlinks.  And . . .

I don't use Smart Tags, I unchecked Everything under AutoCorrect tab except Replace text as you type, and Under the AutoFormat As You Type Tag --- everything is unchecked!

And finally, the garbage went away in PiP postings.

Hope the above makes sense...if not, it's Word's fault, not mine!! (lol)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » Transferring poems from Word to Passions?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary