navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Imagery/Figurative Language - 1/03
Poetry Workshop
Post A Reply Post New Topic Imagery/Figurative Language - 1/03 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA

0 posted 2003-01-06 12:17 PM

This is from an old workshop - but it still works ... Choose your own style for this poem. If you want to write in formatted (sonnet, pantoum, villanelle, etc.) or free verse, it's your choice.. But you've gotta use some imagery..

So - What's imagery? Imagery is simply the use of figurative language in your writing... The following is an excerpt from a previous workshop where we described the most commonly used basic forms:....
quote:

Simile - A comparison using as or like. Check out Ron's Tormented Love - Triumphant Hate and see if you can find one. - Yep - "like lemmings led to our own fall" (ROFTL - I had to look it up too!! - I love it when that happens).

Metaphor - A comparison that doesn't use "as" or "like", but rather uses one idea to represent another. Munda's Walk With Me is a good example of a metaphor. Life is not a path, but this poem makes it one - without using "as" or "like".

Extended Metaphor - This involves the entire poem in a metaphorical comparison. Read Balladeer's The Dummy and you'll see how he uses the dummy, and the whole poem, to represent his point - and he does it so well.

Personification - Is giving the attributes of life to an inanimate entity. Snow in Summer, a member from long past, does a very nice job in her untitled poem. She's got "pumpkins perching on the porch" and "plumply slumbering" (and more). This is also Alliteration, btw - that's repeated syllable sounds for a great effect.

Those are the basics... Let's see what we can put together here... Our Theme is Optional...

We're going to incorporate some Imagery...

Our format is optional...

Should be easy, eh?... Well - effective use of imagery can be quite a challenge...

Just remember....

Writing a simile is as easy as pie..
but
Writing a metaphor is a piece of cake..!!

Waft every crest upon your destined sea
Embrace the Wave of Serendipity
Lest its elusive arcane ecstasy
Refurl with sail for all eternity
Nancy Ness

© Copyright 2003 Nancy Ness - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2003-01-06 02:57 PM

Ok, I'll sign up for the home ec lesson...as long as not too many cooks get in my stewpot...

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
2 posted 2003-01-26 08:36 AM

...That'd be a metaphor...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Main Forums » Poetry Workshop » Imagery/Figurative Language - 1/03

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary