navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Just making you aware of a concerning site
Q & A
Post A Reply Post New Topic Just making you aware of a concerning site Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA

0 posted 2007-08-27 09:12 PM

/pip/Forum3/HTML/004346-2.html

Ron:

It seems obvious you already know about this, but given how busy you must be, I wanted to be sure.

Apparently whole pages of PIP are being copied and posted under other poets names.

Check out Announcements.

Your guidance would be appreciated with this thing.

Thanks,
TD

© Copyright 2007 Kathleen Harris - All Rights Reserved
Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
1 posted 2007-08-28 10:47 AM

I am aware of it, yes, but I fear I have little additional guidance to offer, TD. Only the owner of a copyright can take the necessary steps to protect it, so its always up to each individual author to do what must be done. Each writer also has to decide how much time they want to invest because, trust me, based on past experience, it's a never-ending challenge.

Here are some past threads that those interested should definitely read. Pay particular attention to Kit's posts . . .
/pip/Forum29/HTML/000175.html
/pip/Forum29/HTML/000875.html
/pip/Forum1/HTML/000685.html

ThisDiamond
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-02-22
Posts 9353
Michigan, USA
2 posted 2007-08-28 12:48 PM

Thanks Ron.

Good information.  I will share it with the others, and see what we can do.

A risk that you take, in sharing your art!
On the sunnier side...hope you enjoy this beautiful Michigan day today.

Kathy

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
3 posted 2007-08-28 03:06 PM

How come a code like this found at this site wouldn't serve the purpose of stopping anyone from RIGHT CLICKING to copy the poems ?

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright.htm

People stealing are copy and pasting ... they are not taking the time to write out the poems at length ... would this prevent them from doing that ?

~*Marge*~

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
4 posted 2007-08-28 03:46 PM

Marge,

The page relies on a java script embedded in the page, to get around it you simply disable java scripts in your browser,

I copied and pasted the whole page with java diabled.

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
5 posted 2007-08-28 04:19 PM

Thanks ... but I am sure there are other codes out there to prevent it~
And just because you figured out how to disable it/ or work around it, doesn't mean that the average JoeThief would know how to do it~
It's worth a shot, in my humble opinion~
*Huglets*
~*Marge*~

~*The sound of a kiss is not as strong as that of a cannon, but it's echo endures much longer*~
Email -     noles1@totcon.com   

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
6 posted 2007-08-28 07:33 PM

Ctrl-C works just as well as right-click and is a whole lot faster.

Disabling someone's browser (anyone's browser, in my opinion) is simply rude. Right click on the page and take a look at ALL of the user options that are no longer available through the context menu when right-click is disabled. It "might" make copying a little more difficult, but it also makes a lot else a little more difficult. I honestly don't think it solves anything. Putting in speed bumps on the Interstate will probably deter speeding, but the cost is unacceptably high I think.

(And File/Save As or Ctrl-S get *everything* on the page anyway.)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Q & A » Just making you aware of a concerning site

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary