navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #39 » Winds of Time (A Love Story in Senryu String Form)
Open Poetry #39
Post A Reply Post New Topic Winds of Time (A Love Story in Senryu String Form) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JLHunter
since 2006-10-08
Posts 557
CA United States

0 posted 2006-11-07 05:45 AM

Winds of Time
(A Love Story in Senryu String Form)

Strong winds push me home.
Resisting not, I follow.
As home is calling.

Who awaits me there?
Is it the love that I lost,
Returned to forgive?

Time alone will tell,
As time is all that I have;
A compass through life.

Ah! The hearth is lit!
Can my love truly be home,
A smile on her lips?

Standing on the porch,
Afraid to open the door,
My love not to find.

A gust of wind comes!
The door not so tightly latched,
Opens as in haste!

A final gust more
Urges me past the threshold.
Time and breaths are still.

Behold! My heart’s fire
Reflected in her bright eyes;
A beacon of hope!

Shyly, we embrace.
Distance and time has changed us.
But love rekindles.

Home at last, I cry.
Head upon her soft shoulder,
Never more to roam.

I prefer to be a dreamer among the humblest, with visions to be realized, than lord among those without dreams and desires. -Khalil Gibran

© Copyright 2006 John L. Hunter - All Rights Reserved
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
1 posted 2006-11-07 07:35 AM

These are lovely senryus, John.  
Thank you for weaving some lovely gems...

Interloper
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-11-06
Posts 8369
Deep in the heart
2 posted 2006-11-07 09:34 AM

A gr8 Senryu string

Fool, said my Muse to me, look in thy heart and write.

Pilgrimage
Member Elite
since 2001-12-04
Posts 3945
Texas, USA
3 posted 2006-11-07 03:16 PM

I enjoyed this one, both the construction and the content.

Nan (Pilgrim variety)

secondhanddreampoet
Member Ascendant
since 2006-11-07
Posts 6394
a 'Universalist' !
4 posted 2006-11-07 04:59 PM

I refer to myself as a "mystic" 'second-hand-dream' poet-knight and "Deep-Time" visionary...ergo, I may be somewhat 'biased' as an "incurable romanticist"; etc....but, I have always felt that the grandest 'poetic imagery'
involves Time and wind and loves lost and found!....so, I was, of course, immediately drawn to your title... and the poem assuredly did not disappoint!...to use one line from your poem itself..said poem was truly a 'beacon of hope' for me [in the desperate sea of so very much that I suffer through reading these days...much of it 'published'...god only knows why!...my guess is that in this age of post-modernist angst (alleged) 'professional' critics and such are probably rather quickly dismissive of anything even hintin' at 'romanticism'...]...I hope to read much more of your work!....

JLHunter
since 2006-10-08
Posts 557
CA United States
5 posted 2006-11-07 05:50 PM

Hi, Sunshine!

I stand corrected!  I am always getting on other people (I am a moderator on another site), about the difference between Haikus and Senryus, so I am ashamed to admit that I never changed the title after finding it in a folder with some of my older works.

I will be more careful in the future!  I promise!

Oh, and thanks for your lovely words...

John

I prefer to be a dreamer among the humblest, with visions to be realized, than lord among those without dreams and desires. -Khalil Gibran

JLHunter
since 2006-10-08
Posts 557
CA United States
6 posted 2006-11-07 05:51 PM

Thanks, Interloper!

I always try to infuse something new into whatever I attempt.  This was a first for me, but I guess it came out all right.

Thanks again!

John

JLHunter
since 2006-10-08
Posts 557
CA United States
7 posted 2006-11-07 05:52 PM

Hi, Pilgrimage.

Thank you for saying so.  I am always happy when someone enjoys my work.

Thanks for writing!

John

JLHunter
since 2006-10-08
Posts 557
CA United States
8 posted 2006-11-07 06:05 PM

Hi, SHDP!

Even though it's not my job, welcome to Passions in Poetry!

You may refer to yourself correctly, as I am very similar, and I like your name.  You see, I too am an incurable romantic.  Also, I have always felt, too, that "the grandest 'poetic imagery' involves Time and wind and loves lost and found!"  

I'm glad that you stopped by to read.  I have quite a few poems posted here, and many of them (if not most!) are about love, loss, time and wind.  I also love to use the stars and the heavens as a backdrop.

quote:
...to use one line from your poem itself..said poem was truly a 'beacon of hope' for me [in the desperate sea of so very much that I suffer through reading these days...much of it 'published'...god only knows why!...my guess is that in this age of post-modernist angst (alleged) 'professional' critics and such are probably rather quickly dismissive of anything even hintin' at 'romanticism'...]...I hope to read much more of your work!....

Ooh, then you MUST read my tongue-in-cheek poem, "The Death of Sentimentality," which is posted on this website.

It's all about the romantic spirit that is being so roundly dismissed these days--at least in many forums.  I'm happy to report that it seems alive and well, here.

Thanks for your welcome support and kind words.  They are both greatly appreciated!

John (a boring old unromantic name, but what can I do?!)

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #39 » Winds of Time (A Love Story in Senryu String Form)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary