navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #38 » Sun Circles
Open Poetry #38
Post A Reply Post New Topic Sun Circles Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa

0 posted 2006-06-30 02:59 PM

SUN CIRCLES
29 June 2006

Winter-gold warmth
comforts my shoulders
like a memory scarf
and I reach out
stroking discussions
with you
of seasons
and day and night
and succulent grass
and the cloud messages
Gilbert sent us
and my breathing
hurts my smile.

- Owl

© Copyright 2006 Diana van den Berg - All Rights Reserved
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
1 posted 2006-06-30 03:28 PM

quote:
and my breathing
hurts my smile.

Yes, sometimes melancholy co-exists with pleasant feelings and you expressed this very vividly, dear Diana.

Very beautiful.

Love,
Margherita

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
2 posted 2006-06-30 03:38 PM

So gently penned, and so very much enjoyed.
Hugs~Nancy

Don't bring me down now,
let me stay here for awhile
You know life's too short,
let me bathe here in your smile.

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
3 posted 2006-06-30 04:59 PM

I echo both ladies above
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
4 posted 2006-06-30 05:58 PM

Thank you Margherita, Nancy and Dixie for your kind, gentle comments.  

It is Winter in South Africa and I was enjoying the winter sun and as it wrapped itself around my shoulders it took me back (as so many things do) to when I used to walk Flicka (my horse, as I am sure you will remember). I retired him about 10 years before his death and so I walked him every day to exercise him and we use to talk about all sorts of things.  Just a few of these were the revolution of the earth around the sun (to explain the seasons to him) and the rotation of the earth on its axis (to explain to him how day and night were caused) and the meaning of "succulent" with regard to grazing and also the grass I cut for him.  Gilbert, the head groom, died on 13 January of the same year that Flicka died on 28 April (2002).  He had been a groom at the stables for over 30 years and was much loved by everybody, including the horses, especially Flicka.  We were all devastated by his death (he was knocked over by a car).  I wrote him a poem (in the form of a Zulu praise poem, but in English, except for a few phrases with which I had a bit of help from a Zulu person) called "Gilbert Khuzwayo, We Will Look At The Sun And Remember You" posted in one of the archives at Pip.  After Gilbert's death, Flicka and I used to read Gilbert's messages to us in the clouds, and particularly the sunsets.  Remembering both Flicka and Gilbert in the same breath is very painful, and it affects my bravado smile and my real, but bittersweet-memory smile.

- Owl

The Lady
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-12-26
Posts 7634
The Southwest
5 posted 2006-06-30 11:23 PM

"Winter-gold warmth
comforts my shoulders
like a memory scarf
and I reach out
stroking discussions
with you"

Your lines speak volumes Diana. Sorrowful, yet beautiful.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2006-06-30 11:30 PM

Thank God you read minds.

I followed throughout the poem and felt it had to have something to do with your fine horse.  Then Gilbert snuck in, and I wondered...

and then, the answer was there.

You are a remarkable woman to work your life around horses, and your memories, too.

In the last few days, I watched again, A Man from Snowy River, and Return to Snowy River.  

I have a feeling that if you don't know these movies, you will love them.

Let me know...

and if I have to, I shall send them to you.  Because a woman like you needs to know them, fully.

rosepetals25
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-05-31
Posts 3076
PA
7 posted 2006-07-01 12:18 PM

I really like this, especially the last 2 lines.  Great job.
OwlSA
Member Rara Avis
since 2005-11-07
Posts 9347
Durban, South Africa
8 posted 2006-07-02 11:57 AM

Thanks, Kate for feeling the depths of my poem.

Thanks, Karilea. You know my darling, Flicka well.  I don't know the movies, A Man from Snowy River, and Return to Snowy River, at all.  If you think I will love them, then I know I will.  I really appreciate your very kind gesture very much indeed.  However, I don't think my computer will handle receiving such large emails, even if you send them in separate emails.  But thanks, anyway, for the very kind thought.  I am particularly honoured by your last sentence: "Because a woman like you needs to know them, fully."  In spite of not knowing the movies, I know you well enough to know that means a great deal.  Thank you.

Thank you rosepetals.  I am glad you enjoyed it.  

- Owl

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #38 » Sun Circles

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary