navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » IBM and the Holocaust
Open Poetry #36
Post A Reply Post New Topic IBM and the Holocaust Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA

0 posted 2005-12-09 11:17 PM

IBM and The Holocaust (1933)

"I was haunted by a question whose answer has long eluded historians.  The Germans always had the lists of Jewish names.  Suddenly, a squadron of grim-faced SS would burst into a city square and post a notice demanding those listed assemble the next day at the train station for deportation to the East.  But how did the Nazis get the lists?  For decades, no one has known.  Few have asked."...IBM and the Holocaust...page 10.

IBM, shame on you,
for building your business
upon the death and destruction
of 600,000 Jews.

"The answer:IBM Germany's census operations and similar advanced people counting and registration technologies.  IBM was founded in 1896 by German inventor Herman Hollerith as a census tabulating company.  Census was its business.  But when IBM Germany formed its philosophical and technologic alliance with Nazi Germany, census and registration took on a new mission. IBM Germany invented the racial census-listing not just religious afiliation, but bloodline going back generations.  This was the Nazi data lust.  Not just to count the Jews-but to identify them."...page 10

"People and asset registration was only one of the many uses Nazi Germany found for high-speed data sorters.  Food allocation was organized around databases, allowing Germany to starve the Jews.  Slave labor was identified, tracked, and managed largely through punch cards.  Punch cards even made the trains run on time and cataloged their human cargo.  German Railway, the Reichsbahn, Dehomag's biggest customer, dealt directly with senior management in Berlin.  Dehomag maintained punch card installations at train depots across Germany, and eventually across all Europe."...page 10

JamesLee
December07
References from the book
"IBM and The Holocaust"
by Edwin Black
2001, 2002

© Copyright 2005 JamesMichael - All Rights Reserved
MGROVES
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-02-01
Posts 3802
california
1 posted 2005-12-18 04:28 AM

wow, learn something new everyday. i always believed the beast is the computor

My spirit will rise
above the sea~
There will be no drowning
of my soul or me~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » IBM and the Holocaust

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary