navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » My Brother Larry (A Song For Love Equality)
Open Poetry #36
Post A Reply Post New Topic My Brother Larry (A Song For Love Equality) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon

0 posted 2005-11-23 03:28 PM

(Over the holiday weekend, I'll be on the Oregon Coast with my family and older brother Larry and his boyfriend Colin, who flew in town last night, yay!

I've always loved my older brother very much and in the past never talked about him as much as I've liked because I feared prejudice and misunderstanding and such. You see, my brother is homosexual, and has been enjoying a wonderful relationship with Colin for over four years now, and seeing how many not only misunderstand homosexuals but they get subjected to stigmatizing and discrimination as well, I was worried he would take some undeserved heat in response. (hugs)

It saddens me that so many misunderstand those like my brother and wish him harm, for I can't see why we all can't love one another regardless of sexual preference. I'm absolutely convinced that being gay isn't a choice and is natural, and because I grew up with my brother often and we understood each other very much and wished each other great happiness, I want his rights to be recognized equally as heterosexuals. (hugs) Obviously I am heterosexual and my passionate heart has cried for a girl for years, LOL, but I value ever so much my brother and want him to be happy and believe you don't have to be of the same sexuality to recognize that everyone has their God-Given rights!

Because I optimistically believe more and more are recognizing that their rights are a civil rights issue, I'm hopeful in that more and more are accepting their rights to live as equals, and so here's my new poem expressing these concerns. )

My Brother Larry
By: Noah Eaton
11/23/05
My brother Larry,
my brother Larry has blood just as thick as me,
my brother Larry,
my brother Larry is equally as much as family to me.

“If God had wanted you otherwise,
He would have created you otherwise.”,
Never apologize,
for showing feeling,
cuz every time you do so,
you’re apologizing for the truth…
My brother Larry,
my brother Larry has a life of his own,
my brother Larry,
my brother Larry’s heart beats in pure tone.

Must we stand like refugees,
in our bedroom closets,
always fearing the sky will really fall,
when we take that next step,
for truth…
…ohhhhhh,
the most important thing about love,
is the emotion itself…
…ohhhhhh,
you’ve got to live,
what you live,
and live who you love…
My brother Larry,
my brother Larry’s flesh and blood are real,
my brother Larry,
my brother Larry deals and feels…

“To understand is to perceive patterns”,
open your hearts as siblings,
and if you want understanding,
try giving some of your own…
…ohhhhhh,
the most important thing about love,
is the emotion itself…
…ohhhhhh,
you’ve got to live,
what you live,
and live who you love…

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

[This message has been edited by Mistletoe Angel (11-23-2005 04:30 PM).]

© Copyright 2005 Nadia Lockheart - All Rights Reserved
scorpio
Member Ascendant
since 2002-10-02
Posts 5178
right...there
1 posted 2005-11-23 03:34 PM

Larry is blessed to have you for his brother Noah.  I wish you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving.

believe in what your heart feels...

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
2 posted 2005-11-23 03:38 PM

Noah, you are a very sweet, loving man.

Happy Thanksgiving!

"too bad ignorance isn't painful"
~Unknown~

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
3 posted 2005-11-23 03:40 PM

"…ohhhhhh,
you’ve got to live,
what you live,
and live who you love…"

Noah, I am very proud of you for posting
this outstanding piece!

Who are we to judge what is right or wrong?
I have several homosexual friends
and they are all wonderful, creative, outstanding citizens.

I am also proud to live in a country which has recently legalized same sex marriages.

I thank you for making your stand here Noah.
And wish you, your brother and his partner-in-life
a very very blessed Thanksgiving.
Hugs~Nancy

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
4 posted 2005-11-23 04:05 PM

Sounds like you and your family are going to have a wonderful Thanksgiving at Oregan's Pacific coast! An added blessing is that you get to spend some time with your brother and his life partner. God bless you all!

Pilgrim

Hugs with love,
Linda

Nightshade
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-08-31
Posts 13962
just out of reach
5 posted 2005-11-23 04:11 PM

I have said it before Noah and I shall say it again, You are one of the most loving and compassionate people I have ever known. Bless your heart.
May you and your brother Larry(bless his brave heart too) and your whole family have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday together.
Hugs, Chris  

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
6 posted 2005-11-23 04:28 PM

(angel holiday hugs) Thanks soooooooo much for your wonderful, loving replies, dearest friends, and thank you sooooooo much for understanding, though of course being the wonderful, ambiguous friends you always have been that's never surprising, LOL!

I had no desire to generate any controversy with posting this poem, I merely felt I just had to express my support and love for my brother as I would feel guilty as though I was allowing further discrimination and misunderstanding to happen if I remained silent. Understanding is one of the most important values we have, and that's what I hoped my song would bring.

The Matthew Shepherd tragedy has long hurt my heart (the poor, innocent Wyoming young man who was beaten up to death for being who he was), and every memorial of his death I always attend the candlelight vigils and offer a sympathy card. It hurts to imagine someone like my brother being subjected to this same sort of violent misunderstanding and abuse, and this too motivated me to write this song, with the only reason why it took this long to write it being the fear prejudice and backlash would come to him, even when I know everyone here is sooooooo warm and tolerant.

Yay, I wish a wonderful holiday weekend to y'all, yay!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

latearrival
Member Ascendant
since 2003-03-21
Posts 5499
Florida
7 posted 2005-11-23 05:17 PM

Noah, Your loving post about your brother does not call for animosity. It speaks only of love. Who among us does not need a genuine love with whom they can share a life?  Who among us does not wish each of us would find some one who could share and validate our feelings? Never feel you have to defend Larry's way of life. It is his life and his to live. You are a kind and loving brother. bless you . martyjo
vandana
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Patricius
since 1999-10-22
Posts 10463
USA
8 posted 2005-11-25 05:44 PM

good read
MGROVES
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2004-02-01
Posts 3802
california
9 posted 2005-12-12 12:20 PM

your special, and your brother is lucky. every one deserves love. every one deserves to be who they are.  and not fear what others think. ignorance  or fear. shame they cant just think,  happiness for ones who have found love.

My spirit will rise
above the sea~
There will be no drowning
of my soul or me~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #36 » My Brother Larry (A Song For Love Equality)

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary