navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #35 » Goodnight, Mr. Burns
Open Poetry #35
Post A Reply Post New Topic Goodnight, Mr. Burns Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA

0 posted 2005-05-28 02:12 AM

I’m not an angry person,
My patience is quite long.
So why do I feel overwrought,
Why do you make me groan?

I’ve thought about this several hours,
I’ve come to a conclusion.
The time that I’ve invested in this
Friendship, is illusion.

You’ve taken what I’ve given you,
My genuine love repleat.  
It doesn’t seem to matter much
That it’s a two-way street.  

I forgive abrasiveness,
Credit it to hardening veins
That come to each when we grow old.    
I just wish you’d been my friend.

So I guess I’m angry with myself,
Not really, no, not you.
For I know that you were only doing
What you always do.

(Note:  Just blowing off steam tonight.....Who is Mr. Burns?  Do you watch The Simpsons?  We have cared for an elderly gentleman (who has no family) for the past 9 years and he is getting very senile.  In a way, I feel like our friendship ended a few years ago when the dimentia began setting in...but sometimes I forget.  I guess any emotion can inspire us, huh?  Forgive the rant, please.)  

© Copyright 2005 J.A.A.Powell - All Rights Reserved
Margherita
Member Seraphic
since 2003-02-08
Posts 22236
Eternity
1 posted 2005-05-28 10:44 AM

Dear Jo, sometimes we need to blow off steam! I am sure many of us can relate to such a situation.

When there is dementia it's hard to cope, only unconditional love without any expectances will vanquish anger and frustration. What we need to learn I think, is to SEE THE BEAUTIFUL HARMONIOUS SOUL BEHIND what appears as a clouded mind.

It's not easy, but possible.

Thank you dear Jo for sharing and for allowing me to ponder.

Love and hugs.
Masrgherita

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
2 posted 2005-05-28 12:40 PM

it's good that you blow it off...the steam....it's sad that he is ill and can't be the friend he used to be, I am sure he wouldn't want it this way...
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
3 posted 2005-05-28 02:26 PM

Margherita, thank you so much for your caring response.  It is a sad thing losing a friend to dimentia....you are right, I must remember the goodness.   ....jo
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
4 posted 2005-05-28 02:27 PM

SEA, you are right.  Nobody would want it that way, come to think of it!  Thanks for your thoughtful post.  I have so missed being around these past few months.  I am sure that I have lots of catching up to do.   .......jo
Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
5 posted 2005-05-28 08:48 PM

lily jo, I know that you are mostly angel, but the human side of you must left off steam once in awhile! Writing poetry is such a great way of doing it! ~ and it doesn't hurt anyone's feelings! ~ Unless the poem is given to them! lol

You obviously have a loving and charitable heart my friend! Vent away! ~ and keep on caring! That's the angel way, Dear One!

Love ya lots you know!
Linda
KBHBLY

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
6 posted 2005-05-28 08:51 PM

Dear Jo

What Linda said, I would say.  

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
7 posted 2005-05-28 09:52 PM

jo, I know how hard this must be for you

my thoughts are with you

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
8 posted 2005-05-28 10:51 PM

A toughie...you know that it's not really his fault and yet it gets heavy at times....I understand completely. People who care for people like that and perform a basically thankless service are the closest things to angels that exist on earth. Salutes to you...
Honeybunch
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-29
Posts 7115
South Africa
9 posted 2005-05-29 01:20 AM

Yes, Jo, it is a sad situation and I read that sadness in your poem.  To lose someone though they still be living is so very hard but we don't lose the love.  To give and not receive must surely be the way of "angels".
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #35 » Goodnight, Mr. Burns

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary