navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #34 » POP!
Open Poetry #34
Post A Reply Post New Topic POP! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California

0 posted 2004-12-31 12:53 PM

PoP

A                                                                                       A hot                                                                                 nude
music                                                                        portrait
less heavy                                                            less refined
soft romantic                                                reality poignant
seductive rhythm                                   explosively modern
harmonizing tongues                       in your face fornication

I’ll pop the pill, I’ll pop the bill,  
I’ll pop whoever says they will,
I’ll kill,

N
                              O              
                                  L              Point of Purchase.
                                     I
                                        N                 Forcibly,
                                            E              what buttons do.
                 Slap to face           D
                 when realized.           R
                                                           I
             Point of Presence.               V
                                                                   E

Just popped in to say, “Hello!”
No!! POP, No!!

POP!!!
POP!!!
POP!!!

...and then it’s seen on the six o’clock news.

© Copyright 2004 Robert E. Michaud Jr. - All Rights Reserved
Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
1 posted 2004-12-31 01:34 PM

Well first off it is a treat to see your name here.  Always is and it has been a long time sir.  

Now this is one very creative poem with a very serious message in it.  Unfortuneately you are so right about the all the violence, abuse, and needless loss of lives that is going to inevitably happen tonite but history every year proves it to be so.  I for one am staying home tonight especially since so many out there will be "POP"ing so many corks to celebrate and then trying to drive home.  Excellent poem sir as always and a very creative way of displaying it.  God Bless and be safe sir.

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
2 posted 2004-12-31 03:07 PM

yes, what Mark said...me too...staying home and staying safe...think we are having an early dinner out and then home watching tv or playing games with the kids...I hope everyone stays safe tonight...
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2004-12-31 04:09 PM

God bless you, Robert...
for a touching, reaching message,
and for a reminder that we cannot
help but see all things any longer,
so inundated are we
with media.

God watch over you in the New Year.

Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal
4 posted 2004-12-31 06:10 PM

The only POP for me is the sound of the Coke top popping as I relax with a movie at home -
Partying is fun if done responsibly - unfortunately there are very strange people out there that think nothing of driving drunk- heart an amazing story by a man the other day who seemed to think the drive home on treacherous snow and ice covered roads was a bit easier on his nerves after a level of consumtion took the edge off - eeeeeek!

Enjoyed the creativity of this well done poem-

I too wish for a safe New Year for all-

Susan

Every action generates a force that returns to us in like kind . . . let us choose compassion and love

J.Samm
since 2004-01-12
Posts 415
Iloilo City, Philippines
5 posted 2005-01-01 04:42 PM

a good read here...very thought- provoking
Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
6 posted 2005-01-02 11:20 AM

Mark,

Thank you for your warm welcome back and it is very very good to "see" you again too. (Smiles) The reason I was gone for so long was that I was recovering from Diabetic Retenopothy (Blindness) and so rather than go under the knife I chose to exercise faith in God to do the healing. It has been a long long process, but I am doing much better now. I do thank you very very much for your kind words of concern.

Everyone,

Sometimes, when I'm inspired to write, I only receive a word, a thought, a concept, etc. etc.  and in this poem, that was the case. I was only given the word "pop" and so immediately I thought of pop culture and so I wanted to write a poem in a style that would somehow convey our pop culture today using my own various definitions of the word pop. Pop Music. Pop Art. Pop fly. Etc. Etc. and some short sentences also containing the word pop. Pop a pill. Etc.  I did arrange these variations in a kind of way that might tell a story and that is why I think that I got such a wonderful variety of feedback here. I really wasn't thinking of New Years, but as was brought out here, it certainly does apply. I loved all of your kind responses here and it was real nice to hear what some of you were doing and I do hope that all of you had a most wonderful and most safe New Years. I did. Love ya. -Bob

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #34 » POP!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary