navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #33 » When Duty Calls
Open Poetry #33
Post A Reply Post New Topic When Duty Calls Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Paula Finn
Member Ascendant
since 2000-06-17
Posts 5546
missouri

0 posted 2004-09-27 01:24 PM

Fields to ready for winters rest
theres cows to be butchered
late fall canning to be done
fences to mend before snowfall

But then duty calls
and instead of soft falling leaves
there is the barrage of antiaircraft guns
machine guns and automatic weaons
sand in his dinner and merciless heat

Humming softly as she bakes
cookies and bread to send overseas
she pauses now and again to
caress a belly swollen with his
first child

But then duty calls
and instead of his son he cradles
a strange child, frightened and crying
torn from his family lost alone
dying

Letters travel slowly
across the seas of water and sand
trivial things because she cant tell
him how hard its been without him
and he cant tell of the blood and nightmares

But then duty calls
and he picks up his gun to fight
once more for a flag, a dream, a child
yet to be born

And she goes on each day
storing memories for him
because thats what you do

When duty calls.

© Copyright 2004 Paula Finn - All Rights Reserved
Copperbell
since 2003-11-08
Posts 956

1 posted 2004-09-27 02:25 PM

wow...I love this
Pilgrimage
Member Elite
since 2001-12-04
Posts 3945
Texas, USA
2 posted 2004-09-27 03:05 PM

This is simple, and simply true.  It made me weepy, but in a good way.

Nan (Pilgrim variety)

DavePage
Member Elite
since 2003-12-21
Posts 2917

3 posted 2004-09-27 03:30 PM

The country can and will be what it want's to be.

concentration camps were not invented by the Germans but by the the British and used again in Malaya by the British and I am British

killing innocent people who were not involved in anything was devised by the CIA in South America to frighten and denie assistance.

The British used disease, the Americans were apparently more humane - the killed.

All of this is on record.

War is not a game - you win or lose, or play games when you dont wan't anyone to win or lose, but to enjoy those Swiss bank accounts.

dave

Kevo
since 2004-06-02
Posts 466
Navarro County, Texas, USA
4 posted 2004-09-28 05:19 AM

Paula,

Your poem was a touching tribute, this coming from a former Marine Corps Sgt.  I applaud your appreciation for the committment and sacrifice that goes along with duty both at home with the family and abroad with the warrior.  It is not something anyone necessarily wishes for and I wanted to say thank you for my brothers still in arms for this touching write that lifts them and their families up where they belong.  

Dave - I would have to say that your factoid about killing innocent people beginning with the the US (CIA) in South America seemed a bit skewed.  Since the dawn of time there has been blood shed by innocent men, woman, and children.  The bible tells of it, if you believe in the Good Word, if not cave walls tell of it, books tell of it, resources are available regarding it.  Of course, most of that in history revolves around differences in religious beliefs, doctrines, etc.  If you're looking for something more recent look at WWII.  Hitler and his Nazis killed 6,000,000 innocent people.  Sadam Hussein tethered innocent men, woman, and children to rooftops as human shields.  There is a lot going on that makes me as sick as you feel about the loss of life.  This country isn't perfect by any means but you don't see refugees heading the other way.  By in large, we are a very ethical populace.  We are also one of the few, I can attest, that live and breathe the Acts of the Geneva Convention, having served in the Marines for 8 years.  It was force-fed to me and seared into memory for 8 years on dealing with war criminals, prisoners, engaging enemy forces, and my own conduct in regards to all of the above if engaged in one of the scenarios.  Of course, I respect your opinion entirely, I really just wanted to say hey, killing innocent people began before this country was a twinkle in everyone's eye.  I hope you take no offense.  It was not written out of malice, to the contrary I am only offering my perspective and in know way is biased by any opinion I have on current affairs.

Paula, Sorry to use this post as any kind of a platform for a respectful, and peaceful rebuttal.  Your post touched me.

Warm regards to Paula and Dave always,

Kevin  

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
5 posted 2004-09-28 05:43 AM

...I love this, especially the ending
Snowflake From Hell
since 2003-07-10
Posts 777
My own little Icey Oblivion
6 posted 2004-09-28 09:09 AM

you must still watch the news :P good write mother

One cannot see what lies within if one does not see the obvious

Paula Finn
Member Ascendant
since 2000-06-17
Posts 5546
missouri
7 posted 2004-09-28 12:07 PM

Thanks to you all for reading what was actually said.

Kevo please feel free to say what you will. I seem to bring this out in Mr. Page as he wrote a similar response in the other poem I have posted at this time "We Hold These Truths". I actually want to thank you for your response to him as I can't seem to get past the anger his replies have generated in me.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #33 » When Duty Calls

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary