navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #33 » Florida, The Plywood State
Open Poetry #33
Post A Reply Post New Topic Florida, The Plywood State Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2004-09-23 05:37 PM

Note: There's a graphic floating around cyberspace depicting the state of Florida with lots of plywood tacked up on it...and the words "Florida, The Sunshine State" crossed out and the words "Florida, The Plywood State" written in...this is a poem dedicated to Florida at this time of the THIRD hurricane to visit us this year.

The state tree of Florida
is Plywood, treated and pressed
you see it on all the homes
from the worst to the best

It's a rare form of wood
demand is always high
but from June to November
it's always in short supply

The locals use it for
decorating all their windows
they frantically nail it up
when the eastern wind blows

You can't find it in any forest
no one knows where it grows
rumor says that they harvest it
in the basements of Home Depots

So if you're planning to move
to the land of Florida sunshine
please bring your own plywood!
'cause you ain't getting MINE!

© Copyright 2004 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
SmartChick
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-09-23
Posts 7081
On A Journey To The Unknown
1 posted 2004-09-23 05:42 PM

I think I will stay right where I am, Sharon. I hope you are doing okay.
nakdthoughts
Member Laureate
since 2000-10-29
Posts 19200
Between the Lines
2 posted 2004-09-23 05:42 PM

Very Nice, Sharon

but some friends and I have always pondered this question...

what does everyone down there or in other hurrcane regions do with their plywood after they take it off windows etc that they board up prior to the storms..don't they ever save it  for the next one?

I would hate to have to keep making new holes around my windows every year or two or more often...
Whenever they have these storms the first thing the tv does is show the "run" on plywood at the building supply stores...same thing with generators..don't they just  store them for another time?

pardon my "stupidity" on the subject
Glad to hear you made it through...
hugs
M

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
3 posted 2004-09-23 05:50 PM

Sharon

I'm glad to see that hurricanes don't tear apart the humor that abides in some people, like you!  M had a good question...maybe a second hand plywood store?  Enjoyed your poem...please take care!  

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
4 posted 2004-09-23 06:26 PM

Some people toss their plywood (it's a lot of money!) others store it from year to year..they number the pieces of wood for each window so they know which one goes where - makes it easy and there's no messy cutting at a critical moment.

We have hurricane shutters (metal coverings for the windows) and plywood for just the 'Florida Room'..so once we get hunkered down and the lights go out, we'll be in a cave-like existence.

We are staying here..not leaving this time. Sigh...pray for everyone.

The mood here is resigned...and there are some people that will not be able to handle this again. Emotions are going to run high and it's going to be tough for a lot of people. I worry most about the older people who are alone - I talked to some of them after the last hurricane and they are tough but there's a limit to even THEIR fortitude.

Ron? Have you cleaned out that spare room for me yet?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

5 posted 2004-09-23 07:21 PM

a sighing smile and I must say, you're taking this very well.

Hugging you...you've had quite an intro to Florida, haven't you?

Rookie no more, m'friend.

I just try to look for the silver lining--it's the color of fish scales 'round here. With Ivan Jr. swirling at our door, the word is out that the Reds are running up the river. So everybody's gone fishing here.

I'm glad to know you're safe and taking this with your usual grace and humor.

(and M?) Here, most folks keep the plywood. In fact, the guy across the street has them numbered and cut precisely to each window, and he just stores them in the garage, and pulls them out, year after year after year.

But I guess it this were Florida, this year he'd have been dragging them out would week after weeek after week.

Shaking my head here.

Stay safe my friend.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2004-09-23 07:29 PM

You are taking to your new "digs" in fine form, PdV.  I've got friends from Houston to Fort Lauderdale [or around that area] in addition to all of our Pipsters...and you all continue to be in my prayers to see this hurricane through!

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
7 posted 2004-09-23 07:36 PM

Hello, all.
Sharon, you are so right with this poem. This year, especially, I think we have had more plywood displayed in Florida than the oranges that parts of out state are so well known for.

I know that you've lived where snow storms are, probably, and now you've been initiated by three hurricanes this season. So, which is more scary? It looks similar to a war zone down here in the Florida Panhandle where I live near P'cola.

By the way, I'm so glad to see that you are safe. Take care.
Hugs,
Ethel

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
8 posted 2004-09-23 07:48 PM

I think I'm moving up north somewhere

cool write

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
9 posted 2004-09-23 08:16 PM

Nice realistic writing...my mom told me that my older sister was thinking about relocating from California to Florida when she retires...I would like to know her thoughts now...three in a row is a rare occurance, right... or is this the normal for Florida...James
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
10 posted 2004-09-23 08:52 PM

Well...you still have your sense of humor, is that good, or just plain insanity?

I have figured out something wonderful.  I live in the land of "PLYWOOD" did you realize that?  The thought of that caused a smile, but then I wondered how the heck do I wrap it up, and send it to you in the mail?

Stay safe, and I guess I can't blame you for staying put this time really, I would be so fed up by now and do the same - charge that phone please?  

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (09-23-2004 10:12 PM).]

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
11 posted 2004-09-23 10:06 PM

Three is unusual...and we have until November before the season is over...sigh. At least I have tomorrow off!

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
12 posted 2004-09-24 08:29 AM

PDV...this is funny, but at the same time, not. You take care down there still more storms brewing
LeeJ
Member Patricius
since 2003-06-19
Posts 13296

13 posted 2004-09-24 08:35 AM

I suppose the faith one must adopt at this time is "Small Shakes" One day at a time...I'm still hoping earnestly that Jean does not hit Florida but...instead tracks off north into the Atlantic Ocean
God bless you all and as you say, especially the elderly folks...hugs to all

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
14 posted 2004-09-24 03:50 PM

I think I will just stay in VA where we have plywood trees.  Nice to see your sense of humor didn't blow away with those strong winds.  Enjoyed the read and humor much.
Pilgrimage
Member Elite
since 2001-12-04
Posts 3945
Texas, USA
15 posted 2004-09-24 05:54 PM

Glad to see you keeping your spirits up! This is adorable.

Nan (Pilgrim variety)

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
16 posted 2004-09-24 06:14 PM

This is, as always, cute. Leave it to you to take a harrowing experience and turn it into an amusing ditty.

As a side note: Among my other duties, I purchase all the lumber for my company... of which plywood is often the one I have the hardest time finding decent prices on. I've noted a distinct rise in prices recently and have been told that it's due to the incredibly high demand from Florida right now.

Since I can't keep that cost down, I pass it on to my cutomer, who happens to be the home builder. They, of course, pass it on to their customer: the home buyer.

The moral of this side-story is that if you're fed up with the hurricanes and are planning on moving, don't board up your house, as that will make the new one you're going to buy that much more expensive.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #33 » Florida, The Plywood State

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary