navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #33 » I am stealing from your car
Open Poetry #33
Post A Reply Post New Topic I am stealing from your car Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
DavePage
Member Elite
since 2003-12-21
Posts 2917

0 posted 2004-09-09 05:56 PM

I know this may offend someone but after someone broke into my car, could not get the radio out and wrecked things, I asked myself why

dave

I am stealing from your car
Why
I want the excitement
I want to live
How can you live from this
Give me something else
Give me life
Give my brain life
Give me money
Give me parents
Who cares

I think quite honestly the words showed I dont know how the thought was.

They were kids aged 10, in Leeds in England, on drugs and all the police did, who saw the car with the smashed window etc., was leave me a subsequently washed out piece of paper with a number on it.

Dave

© Copyright 2004 Dave Page - All Rights Reserved
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
1 posted 2004-09-09 06:26 PM

Any recourse? any compensation from these little vandals?
It's an awful feeling, a violation of your privacy and space when someone does this to you. I still remember how awful I felt when my home was torn apart in a burglary, and that happened 20 years ago.

DavePage
Member Elite
since 2003-12-21
Posts 2917

2 posted 2004-09-09 06:45 PM

They dont understand how they destroy someone by this - they dont understand what you are doing or know the absence of parenthood that should take the responsibility for their children.

I freely admit that by 6, I have become so well known to Bus Inspectors for travelling away from home that they would stop my mother and ask her if she sent me out on initiative tests.

Kids have to understand that you dont do it, but there must be alternatives.

That there is a life and by this behavior they are destroying other people and their own lives but they can achieve and go on to remember while they achieve.

dave

Susan
Member Ascendant
since 2004-03-27
Posts 5104
walking the surreal
3 posted 2004-09-09 07:10 PM

Ah, it is to teach the children that there is life outside themselves - not easy, but it can be done.  However, they first need someone around to teach them.  Sorry about this, it stinks.

Susan

Happiness isn't something that happens to you, it's created from within you.  Joy is a state of mind.

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2004-09-09 07:21 PM

My car was broken into (many months ago, and the second time) and I assumed it was probably a drug addict who grabbed whatever they could in a matter of seconds and would later sell any valuable for penny's on the dollar to support a stinkin' drug habit.
Who said drugs are cool..James

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
5 posted 2004-09-09 07:21 PM

Dave, that is very young for these delinquents, but unfortunately, it is not uncommon, in your space, or in ours.

You know which side of the walk you traveled for awhile; apparently you learned something in life, which is not only good for you, but good for us, and for your neighborhood.  I do not know what you do for a living, but if you can reach out and if there is some kind of program where you can help these kids get on the right path, that is about all I can suggest.  Not everyone is cut out to help those who won't [at first] help themselves, but sometimes that step [in that direction] is all one can do.  Apparently your civil law enforcement is not taking care of things.  Sometimes, we must step up to the plate...

and somehow, I think you are one who could turn a life or two around.

DavePage
Member Elite
since 2003-12-21
Posts 2917

6 posted 2004-09-09 07:51 PM

Yes but a lot of years ago.
I accredited with the Home Office to work with people living rough, and other positions I held.
I spent 9 years working with professional people adding the skills I had, but most of those working with people to get mechanisms in place to keep people off the streets, hostels out trouble etc.
I wont say more beyond that beyond a guy called Frankie Vaughan who started Boys Clubs to do what every should do, but when you are building and taking the money, who cares for what is caused.

Dave

Bonnie j
since 2003-06-27
Posts 1588
Ohio
7 posted 2004-09-09 08:14 PM

When someone broke into my car. I know it must have been kids. For all they stole was a signed baseball I had in the front seat.
I put a large note on my car window and said...." Shame, shame. It is not nice to steal. If you wanted the baseball you could have come to the door and asked."
I noticed a lot of people at various times stopped and read the note.
I think people do these things just to see if they can get by with it.
Sorry about your car windows.
Hugs
BonBon

miscellanea
Member Elite
since 2004-06-24
Posts 4060
OH
8 posted 2004-09-09 08:25 PM

Dave,
   I live such a sheltered live in the sticks that this hasn't been a problem, yet  I see the demographics changing rapidly and realize I must open my eyes.  
   I guess Sunshine's idea is all I can come up with, too.  Wish the police would have done a little more...
   Thanks for heightening my awareness.  It's a shame it's like this!
             miscellanea

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
9 posted 2004-09-09 08:40 PM

"taking the money"....

Oh...I'm so sorry.

I do what I can on a volunteer basis...yes, I could be paid....

and I am often chastised by some/one to be paid....

but at what price?  I do understand, my friend, and apologize here for opening up a sore wound.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #33 » I am stealing from your car

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary