navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » Gilles de Rais
Dark Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Gilles de Rais Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
lotharingia
since 2000-06-04
Posts 897
saarbruecken, Germany

0 posted 2000-06-06 07:10 AM

Smiling he listens
to the hum
of caged souls
breathing
the secrets
of hell
into life

© Copyright 2000 uta waller - All Rights Reserved
kynder
since 2000-04-11
Posts 537
Tallahassee, Florida
1 posted 2000-06-06 02:09 PM

you motivate me to be a more efficient poet
less words more meaning

kynder

Portia
since 2000-05-18
Posts 157

2 posted 2000-06-06 03:35 PM

This reminds me that in college, two of my professors (Bible and Modern Poetry) stated in class that the word "inspire" literally means "breath of God." Yet here, you give a perfectly valid new definition to the word: "breath of hell." "Breathing / the secrets / of hell / into life" is a great line, it implies a lot (I don't want to take liberties with your meaning, though). Does it mean the secrets of hell are being used to create new life, or is it that the secrets are merely becoming known to the living? There is a great deal here. Excellent.
lotharingia
since 2000-06-04
Posts 897
saarbruecken, Germany
3 posted 2000-06-07 04:18 AM

Thanks Kynder!

Portia,
you got my meaning exactly!
This poem is about Gilles de Rais (or Bluebeard)(1404-40), perhaps you know of him. He was a great friend of Joan of Arc (!), and a heinous satanist, who was finally put to death, accused of the torture and murder of more than 140 children.
The atmosphere I wanted to conjure up in this poem is one of an immensely evil man who has summoned up the spirits of those condemened to burn in hell so that they can reveal to him the secrets of the netherworld. This could imply both of your meanings, as the secrets of hell may include the summoning of familiars, or the creation of similar diabolic creatures.
Not that we need hell for that though!
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Uta Lotharingia
"Wir wollen nicht Wert und Sinn ... wir wollen Unwert und Unsinn"
Raoul Hausmann

Joel the wolf
since 2000-04-06
Posts 1333
Angels Camp
4 posted 2000-06-12 03:03 AM

God I enjoyed this.
Great.

Joel.

I howl a mournful song, that echos within my chambered heart, for all to read? nay for all to feel.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » Gilles de Rais

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary