navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » Death, Be Swift
Dark Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Death, Be Swift Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
hsystems
since 2000-03-28
Posts 319
Murray, UT, USA

0 posted 2000-04-28 11:04 AM

Well, let's see...I post a lot in Open Poetry, but this is my first post in Dark.  But I have written a few poems that are just too, er, dark for that forum, so here I am!

Author's Note:  I wrote this poem about a year ago.  I wasn't contemplating suicide, but I definitely had a death wish at the time.  I am feeling slightly better than this, now.  

Death, Be Swift

Death, be swift - release me quickly from life's anguish.
Still my aching heart, and end its constant pain.
Stop my thoughts - let them trouble me no longer;
Seize my soul; wrench it free from sorrow's chains.

Death, be swift - waste no time on indecision.
Let not pity stay thy hand, nor turn thy blow.
For, to leave me, now, alive would show no kindness.
I crave the gift which you, alone, bestow.

Death, be swift - the night draws nigh, and I am weary.
The daylight fades; and, with it, so must I.
For, like the sun, my inner light has vanished;
So, grant my heart's desire, and let me die.

-Troy J. Hoecherl-

© Troy J Hoecherl
All Rights Reserved

Beautiful, Thought-Provoking Poetry
http://www.h-systems.net/p1.htm

© Copyright 2000 Troy Hoecherl - All Rights Reserved
Honeybee
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-26
Posts 5372
Ontario, CANADA
1 posted 2000-04-28 01:14 PM

I too have felt like this, but could never find the words to describe my feelings the way that you have. You certainly have a way with words. You have made such an ugly subject seem whimsical with your words, which is a great technique, making it an excellent piece!   You have a unique style! And I am glad that you don't feel this way as much anymore.  With time most wounds will heal.

Take care,
Melissa Honeybee  

hsystems
since 2000-03-28
Posts 319
Murray, UT, USA
2 posted 2000-04-28 06:32 PM

Melissa - thank you so much for your kind words!  I have found that writing poetry is "good therapy" for me.  When I am down, if I can get my feelings out in a poem, I can't help but feel at least a little bit better.

Troy

Beautiful, Thought-Provoking Poetry
http://www.h-systems.net/p1.htm

dhuron
since 2000-03-19
Posts 476

3 posted 2000-04-28 06:59 PM

I really really liked this poem.  Oh how many times have I pleaded my case to Death, only to be turned down and live this merciless life of anguish and pain.  Or so I thought.  We all fall out of the sky, and it is a struggle to get back up, but we get up because what else do we have??

Great Poem...a keeper

The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, not the kindly smile, not the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone believes in him and is willing to trust him with his friendship."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Isis
Member Ascendant
since 1999-09-06
Posts 6296
Sunny Queensland
4 posted 2000-04-28 09:22 PM

Troy really enjoyed this work.  Sorrow's chains enjoyed that description immensly.  I find writing this way is theraputic too sometimes, so now you have found us here in dark, expect to see more of you in the future!!  

A heart and soul are not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others...
~Isis~
(Goddess - Sovereign of the Spirit)

Lone Wolf
Member Ascendant
since 2000-03-16
Posts 5842
Lansing, MI USA
5 posted 2000-04-29 12:13 PM

Troy,
First of all, glad you are feeling better!!  Wow...this is heavy.  I think we have all been there at one time or another.  Great writing, my friend.  Surprised to see you here in the dark!!  Thanks for sharing!!  
LW

Friends are friend forever if the Lord's the Lord of them and a friend will not say never cause the welcome will not end.
--Michael W. Smith

Joel the wolf
since 2000-04-06
Posts 1333
Angels Camp
6 posted 2000-04-29 01:02 PM

A great poem, the expressions here are wonderful, and yes this is a better place to post this.
Joel.

I howl a mornful song, that echos within my chambered heart, for all to read? nay for all to feel.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » Death, Be Swift

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary