navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » Stranger
Dark Poetry #1
Post A Reply Post New Topic Stranger Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas

0 posted 2000-03-09 01:51 AM

Stranger

He doesn't know me anymore
His mind has slowly faded away
He doesn't know where he is
Doesn't know night from day

No more grandpa's little girl
I am now a stranger

He lays there confused
So helpless and lost
Living in days that have
Long since past

I am now a stranger

I try to reach him
To spark some memory
But it's a useless attempt
He doesn't remember me

I am now a stranger

My heart dies a thousand deaths
Each time he doesn't recognize me
I am your "bear"
How can I make you see?

I am now a stranger

My mind strolls down
Memory lane
While I try to laugh off
An unimaginable pain

I am now a stranger

As I stare down at this
Shell of the man I knew
I realize...
My grandfather is already dead
And this man is a
Stranger to me too

~*Love begins with a smile, grows with a kiss, and ends with a tear*~

© Copyright 2000 Shan Crider - All Rights Reserved
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
1 posted 2000-03-09 05:43 AM

If this is hard for you to deal with it must be an incredibly hard time for him.   My mom is 73 and I am thankful that she still has a pretty good grasp on everything...although she has had some health problems..broke her shoulder and so forth...her mind seems clear.   James
Michael
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-13
Posts 7666
California
2 posted 2000-03-09 07:20 AM

This is a horrid place to be.  I have never experienced this within my family but have spent many hours with a friend at a rest home where his grandmother was the same way.  You have my sympathy on this one... I know how much it hurts.

michael

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

3 posted 2000-03-09 10:32 AM

Im so sorry you know this pain...we lost our grandmother to this same illness, so I understand...this is a sadly beautiful, and well expressed piece.
take care, janet marie

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
4 posted 2000-03-09 11:32 AM

James, Michael, Janet  thank you all for your replies this was one of the hardest poems I've ever MADE myself write  

Jannel
since 2000-01-18
Posts 492
Muncie, IN, USA
5 posted 2000-03-09 11:44 AM

Wonderful writing of a difficult topic. I've lost a grandmother and a great-grandmother to this void.  It's so sad. Tahnk you for having the strength to write about it.

"I'm just saying
that we've mistaken one
for thousands of words,
and for that mistake
I've caused you such pain
that I damn that word."
-10000 Maniacs "Jezebel"

devinmaria
since 2000-02-14
Posts 130
Middletown, Ohio
6 posted 2000-03-09 11:48 PM

wow!! this piece brought back so many emotions.  i too have felt that pain and i am sorry you have.  its not easy but we take with us all th ememories we have of them when we werent strangers staring at each other.  wonderfully sad piece.

Trust I seek and I find in you. Everyday for us something new. Open mind for a different view, and nothing else matters. --Metallica

StarrGazer
since 2000-03-05
Posts 679
Texas
7 posted 2000-03-11 02:52 AM

jmlee- well in all actuallity I think he has already went through the hardest times, when he would switch from past to present then back to past ... now he lives completely in the past the doctors say it's the final stage
but yeah, each memorie I have has turned even more precious thanks for your comments  

Michael- thanks for your kind words, guess that is one of the reasons I'm so passionate about writing maybe if I write everything down every emotion etc if I ever forget I can always read my poems... unless I forget about them too  

Janet-thanks, I'm sorry that you had to go through this with your grandmother, it's not easy but we make it through some how  

Jannel- you too have my sympathies, I didn't intend to write from this perspective when I started I was making a list of things I remembered about him and didn't want to forget... and this developed thanks for your comments  

devinmaria- thanks for your thought, sorry you have had to go through this ordeal too, seems you don't realize how often this occurs until it strikes home ...  

JOY 14
since 1999-09-22
Posts 1419
Wisconsin USA
8 posted 2000-03-11 04:58 PM

Sounds like you were very close to him.  While I don't know exactly how you feel, I know what it is like to watch your grandparents get old and weak.  My grandfather is in his 90's and just a couple of years ago could do things for himself, and now he is almost fully dependent on my father and the rest of his family to take care of him.  It is very sad to watch.  
Keep good memories.

Joy

Danny Holloway
Member Elite
since 2000-01-15
Posts 2034
Tulsa, OK
9 posted 2000-03-13 06:33 PM

Very touching piece that show's the heartbreak of growing old.  One of life's sadder realities.
Nice work.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #1 » Stranger

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary