navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #7 » Avoiding The Light
Teen Poetry #7
Post A Reply Post New Topic Avoiding The Light Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
John O'Driscoll
since 2006-03-13
Posts 43
Sandy, Utah

0 posted 2006-07-07 01:44 PM

This heart has been broken too many times
Of sad words, Ive written too many lines
Against my soul, committed too many crimes
How am I supposed to live?

Ive given my heart to too many girls
On my shoulders, born weight of too many worlds
Given to swine, far too many pearls
What do I have left to give?

My hope in love has been destroyed
My soul, of joy, is now devoid
No longer is anything enjoyed
Whom, but me, must I forgive?

Turned myself against them all
around my heart I've built a wall
From love, terrified, away I crawl.
My soul is leaking like a Sieve.

I know shes out there, I dont know where
This lack of knowing, at my heart, does tear
I feel like I'm living, without any air.
But heartbreak is something I dont wish to relive.

True happiness is found after you think you have irretrievably lost it

© Copyright 2006 JohnnyO - All Rights Reserved
kin3tix
since 2006-07-05
Posts 17
Somewhere wondering...
1 posted 2006-07-07 04:02 PM

Good theme, overall good wording and rhyme scheme. You want to work on writing what you really feel better, anyways, good work
tapper798
since 2003-07-20
Posts 353
My own world
2 posted 2006-07-07 04:46 PM

This heart has been broken too many times
Of sad words, Ive written too many lines
Against my soul, committed too many crimes
How am I supposed to live?

These were my favorite lines. All in all it was a great write and I loved the whole concept, espcially since I'm kind of there in a girls point of view. You really did capture the emotion in it and I loved that about this one. The only critique I would give was on these lines:

I know shes out there, I dont know where
This lack of knowing, at my heart, does tear

The wording just seemed really off on the second line, mainly cause I think you wanted to make it rhyme. It seemed too forced. Otherwise I thought you did an excellent job with the wording! Keep it up, this was a good one!

<3Erin

myspace username-beautiful_tragidy
I just want to find my way back to you...where love is strong and feels brand new.

John O'Driscoll
since 2006-03-13
Posts 43
Sandy, Utah
3 posted 2006-07-07 06:33 PM

Thank you guys. A couple of questions though, what should i replace the lines with. They didnt seem to flow quite right to me either, but i dont know what else to say.

kin3tix, what makes you think this isnt how i feel?

Thanks guys

John

WaterFairy103
since 2006-05-31
Posts 196

4 posted 2006-07-08 08:09 PM

WOW!!! I really love this, and you're one of my favorites!  You have an amazing talent for putting feelings on words!  Good job!

P.S. - I love that you used the word Sieve...I love that word...lol

When I stopped trying to find the right guy, and concentrated on being the right girl, the right guy found me.

John O'Driscoll
since 2006-03-13
Posts 43
Sandy, Utah
5 posted 2006-07-08 09:33 PM

Hey thanks. It took me forever to find another word that rhymed with live, but theres this website that shows ryhming words. I'd completely forgot about sieve so i decided to use it. Thanks!!!

Love Always

John O.

the_girl_next_door
since 2006-02-26
Posts 591
USA
6 posted 2006-07-09 12:04 PM

GREAT!!! Wow.. great job.. I loved this.. I love how you set up the poem.. live, give, forgive, ect.. that was great..

~Heather~

Desire nothing except desirelessness. Hope for nothing except to rise above all hopes.
Want nothing & you will have everything.

stargal
since 2006-03-06
Posts 1352
OR USA
7 posted 2006-07-10 02:55 AM

Hey John,

Another great poem by you I see!
It was simply amazing and whether you were writing this from the heart or not, though I think you were, it certainly made me feel like these emotions are true… It was an excellent job of expressing yourself.

The ending line of the poem I thought left something to be desired, no offence. It’s like you said “I don’t wish to relive” and it drops off into nothing. I think there should be something else, but I don’t really know what I’m talking about…

"Turned myself against them all
around my heart I've built a wall
From love, terrified, away I crawl.
My soul is leaking like a Sieve."

My favorite part out of the whole poem would have to be that... It's something I do, building a wall around my heart, I can relate well to that.

Anyway, I can't wait to see more of your poems in the near future, I hope. It's always enjoyable to read your work

@-->---

John O'Driscoll
since 2006-03-13
Posts 43
Sandy, Utah
8 posted 2006-07-10 11:19 AM

i didnt like the ending much either but i had said everything i wanted to. I dunno what to put after it. If you have any ideas please let me know!!

Love always

John

hunnie_girl
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-06-18
Posts 2567
Canada
9 posted 2006-07-12 11:05 PM

wow that was great i think you have an amazing concept in your poems i love them......i agree with stargal though i didn't like the ending although that happens a lot to me too you say everything and you  don't know what to finish off with. i really hope to read more of your poems too....oh i read the encourages critiques and read "Im and artistic person but i cant really capture what im feeling through poem" i sooo disagree you did a wonderful job of capturing your feelings.....
hunnie*

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your
heart.

mgoodman1989
since 2006-03-05
Posts 93
Iowa, USA
10 posted 2006-07-16 05:03 PM

John,

This poem is amazing. It truely speaks to me, (being as I have had my fair share of hearbreaks and mistrusts).

I love the way you ended each stanza, it seemed to flow nicely to me, try as I might, can't think of anything to say/write/type? that could improve this magnificant work of yours.

You truely are a talented writer, hopefully you do find that one person that will make you happier then you've ever been.

No more heartbreaks,
Sincerely yours,
Michelle

Tempest
since 2006-04-28
Posts 247
dont eat paint chips!!!!
11 posted 2006-07-16 08:50 PM

it was good i liked it
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #7 » Avoiding The Light

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary