navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #4 » An Irreversible Decision - I'm reposting this....
Dark Poetry #4
Post A Reply Post New Topic An Irreversible Decision - I'm reposting this.... Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
prize
since 2008-11-21
Posts 116

0 posted 2008-12-16 08:03 PM

...I wrote this poem on the anniversary of my sister's death...from suicide - thanks in advance for reading and commenting. P

An Irreversible Decision

Once upon a time ago,
This heart lay heavy on my soul.
My only sibling, my friend, my own,
Was dismal, cheerless - all alone.

A decision was made and put into place,
To end her life - what a ghastly waste!
The paralyzing fumes embraced her reason,
One rainy day of the blooming season.

But on that day, the buds remained closed,
The awful truth was then exposed,
Found slumped over, consumed, dead of life,
At last, was halted - her conflict-her strife.

Seventeen years ended, now lifeless in a box,
Barely a life lived as time on earth for her stopped.
Her body was laid into the cool, wet earth,
With prayers lifted up for her spiritual rebirth.

My heart is still heavy, full of pain,
Her feelings are gone, but mine will remain,
Numb and somber am I, on this pretty spring day
The hapless moment as she was taken away.

How ironic, the flowers of beauty still bloom,
To show me the signs that she's not in her tomb!
But in fact, in the arms of our Savior who forgives,
Deep in my being I know she still lives.

© Copyright 2008 prize - All Rights Reserved
axi
since 2008-11-16
Posts 43
NewYork
1 posted 2008-12-18 12:24 PM

holy crap...wow, i am paralyzed by the reality of this poem...i am so sorry for your loss...

my older brother tried suicide at the same age by slicing his wrists...i found him crying in the middle of the night and he was drenched in blood...he survived but went on to live a life full of drug abuse and survived many OD's....a musician and very gifted....i will never forget that night and the horror of it...

i will never forget him telling me in one of his letters from jail how he felt that night and the relief he felt that all of his mental issues and what you called STRIFE in your poem would be over and for the first time in many years that he felt happy the days leading up to the suicide attempt that he didn't have to worry anymore and he was gonna be dead & free...

he is 40 now and clean...back then i was the clean one and its interesting to see how the tables have turned all these years later...so sad...

prize
since 2008-11-21
Posts 116

2 posted 2008-12-19 12:41 PM

Thanks axi, for your touching response.  It is nice to know that there a people who experience the same paths and put the words on paper - their honest words.  I know you and I both write that way.

She was my younger, only sister.  I was okay until it happened (Carbon Monoxide - in her car in the closed garage), away at school...20 years old.  Since then, I have never been the same.  Just like you, I used as well.  Anything to numb the feelings.  But now, 2 years and a week clean, I have to live with and sit in my feelings.  Tough.  But I don't want to go back to using.  Writing helps a lot.

Thanks again for your reply and I'm so happy to hear your brother made it.

P

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Dark Poetry #4 » An Irreversible Decision - I'm reposting this....

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary