navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #27 » A Question Of Tolerance
Open Poetry #27
Post A Reply Post New Topic A Question Of Tolerance Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space

0 posted 2003-06-14 01:53 PM

Tolerance
is a funny thing
it allows for the
freedom to praise
one's god
in a shelter
of tolerance and
the freedom of
religious expression

But what of the man
who praises none?
He is offensive
by his very nature
in the questioning
of your gods
and their existence
but where is the
tolerance and sensitivity
for those who don't want
to read, to think, to hear
the word?

Who worries
about the atheist
or his feelings?

*Personally I'm not atheist, I have no idea what I am, I'm theologically impared. But where I wonder amidst the poetry and praise, the christas specials and easter cartoons. Where's the sensitivity for atheists or their rights to question or refute?

[This message has been edited by Aenimal (06-14-2003 01:54 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 raphael giuffrida - All Rights Reserved
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
1 posted 2003-06-14 01:58 PM

alright pal! what'd you do with the pic?
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
2 posted 2003-06-14 02:38 PM

i completely agree:

your points are valid here and well written Raph

our society does not allow for any one to denounce their right to NOT believe -
society pretty much says you HAVE to believe in something or else . . .

All that matters is you believe in what is important to you

brilliant write btw
got me thinking like you always do
xxoo

umm . . . yes where have you gone up there?
I have to look at a blank window now?

gyiel marlok
since 2003-06-08
Posts 145
OHIO
3 posted 2003-06-14 02:39 PM

COOL
cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
4 posted 2003-06-14 03:16 PM

Who says you don't have a right to express your views; to question another's God or gods?
I think you just did.
If the atheist is willing to tolerate the religious person who is secure in his theology; In his beliefs of an afterlife (or that atheists go on to their own reward); allowing him to pray to his God as he sees fit--basically showing the same sort of tolerance that any good atheist expects, where then is the problem?
If the atheist believes there's no God anyway, why should he mind?

Sid

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
5 posted 2003-06-14 04:05 PM

In my opinion, I think the write lies in
not the right to question but being executed and ridiculed for doing so . . .

I may be wrong but thats what we are here for - to learn from each other . . .
xxoo  

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
6 posted 2003-06-14 04:15 PM

Always a pleasure to read your work.  Thank you for sharing it.

In the USA, contrary to popular belief, the Constitution recognizes the citizen's right to freedom FROM religion;  it does not state a freedom OF religion.

The former covers all choices; the latter covers only the choice of any recognized religion.  Unfortunately, many people are only comfortable with the latter.

inkedgoddess
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-19
Posts 7392
Ohio
7 posted 2003-06-14 04:33 PM

que fue a tu pintura?
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
8 posted 2003-06-14 05:41 PM

Dix I got rid of it didn't want to harm people who might be eating as they read

Thanks Sue thanks for the compliemtn as always as for the pic..nevermind

Thanks gyiel

cynicsRus it's a matter of respect, if an atheist should have to refrain from making comments about religion or god in a forum for example this one, then why shouldn't a religious person refrain from making comments of praise?

Thanks again sue exactly the point

Thank you icebox always appreciate when you stop in and yes it's a matter of comfort atheists are viewed as

Inked no idea what yer trying to say but thanks grin

BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
9 posted 2003-06-14 07:04 PM

You make a good point Raph~
Unfortunately it seems that if you don't practice a religion, it's safe to assume you have no faith.  Where's the gray area in that?

It is a personal choice, and I am committed to that.   Plain and simple.  Nice thinking...and thanks for the interesting thought.

Foxyoasis
since 2003-06-10
Posts 974
Atlantic Beach,Fla
10 posted 2003-06-14 07:18 PM

very good point you made there,it made me think of others.

Fool me once shame on you.....Fool me twice shame on me.....

cynicsRus
since 2003-06-06
Posts 591
So Cal So Cool!
11 posted 2003-06-14 07:48 PM

Interesting spin, but we need to put it in the context of the day.
This country had recently won its freedom from a country with a government established church that was inclined to suppress anyone opposing it as a traitor and/or heretic.

Our Founders wanted to make sure that our government didn't attempt to establish a similarly sponsored religion.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;..."  is a bit different from "... freedom FROM religion"

More accurately, it's a freedom from "government imposed" religion.

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
12 posted 2003-06-14 08:00 PM

you gonna put a new picture up?

Don't make me come up there!

inkedgoddess
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-19
Posts 7392
Ohio
13 posted 2003-06-14 09:49 PM

i stumbled in spanish asking you where the picture was, but there you are again, charming as ever

its a tough question, and thought provoking
........it could go for any minority really
out of the mainstream......
i know in public school as a kid, we had to say the pledge........under god, etc....what about kids coming from homes that didnt believe in the guy.........
what if god was just one of us, just a slob like one of us.......i think it might go down easier that way .........well im not making sense at this point am i

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
14 posted 2003-06-14 10:06 PM

Raph, you write some of the most
thought-provoking poems I've ever seen...
and I think it's wonderful that you do!!
It's a good thing to make us think!!

Hey, I miss the picture!!!!

Hugs to you  
Ethel

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
15 posted 2003-06-15 12:01 PM

Raph -- wouldn't start a debate on a poem -- but would say -- we're free to dissent -- free to beleive or not -- we're just not free from being made uncomfortable about it.

You're probably a Deist..... or it's easier just to call yourself agnostic as do I.

timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
16 posted 2003-06-15 12:16 PM

Totally agree with Rebel's opinion on this one guy!

It's hard to be different, and even harder to not be singled out for being different.
Does that make any sense?

It's been a long day down here in the sweltering south!

Great write tho!

Tima

If you cant get rid of the skeletons in your closet, you'd best teach them how to dance.  George Bernard Shaw

[This message has been edited by timothysangel1973 (06-15-2003 12:17 AM).]

ecrivan
Member Elite
since 2001-12-10
Posts 3923
my own state
17 posted 2003-06-15 12:22 PM

Much admire those willing to stand on their own and express their freedom from conformity
to the rules of state or worse the rules of religion...ironically from which the state borrowed it's means of honoring the 'practicing few'...in reality only a few on this planet actually apply what has been passed down in scriptures...a good deal of us are busy living vicariously through the televised media...a kind of walking dream state..the world is a collection of those who'll philosophise on ethereal spirits and others like myself wanting to know about what the media keeps from us...don't get me wrong which ever way you turn there are beliefs and the absence of belief is a belief in itself.
I mean I'd respect those who'd say we come from nothing and return to
that, yet I'd like to think there must be so much more than void. Good to see this.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
18 posted 2003-06-15 01:18 AM

Again I'd like to point out that I'm not an aetheist I'm generally agnostic it all depends on the day. Can I use the example of this board and this is not an attack on it I'm using it purely as an example. We take great care in assuring that people's aren't offended and with good reason we're all friends in this community. Now take for example a poem praising god of which we've all seen quite a few. Now if an atheist were to right a reply refuting the existence of god or claiming certain things about specific religions it would be deemed offensive, or rather, unsympathetic at least, regardless of how gently worded or subtle. I've seen this happen a few times and I'm sure mods get complaints we don't see. However if one writes a poem, and I know this from my own experience, refutting god or condemning religion there will often be a replies from people with praise and advice. Oh you should find god, I used to think like until I found christ etc. Now couldn't this be considered offensive to an atheist? Isn't that in direct conflict with the beliefs of an atheist? What if I told a Jew oh you should convert to Christianty..imagine the chaos! This is what I meant by my initial point: who worries about the atheists feelings?
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
19 posted 2003-06-15 01:20 AM

THANKS everybody for responding and adding to the discussion. Love pip for this reason..perspectives. Oh and no I won't be putting up a new pic anytime soon.
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
20 posted 2003-06-16 08:02 PM

yes . . . but I can put one up
mmwauuuuahahahahahahah . . .

nice thread you have here
personally
I am Spiritual
thats it

keep em comin
brilliant explanations
xxoo

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

21 posted 2003-06-16 08:06 PM

Raph? Listen to the Local Reb--rumor has it he has some smarts and sensitivity too.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
22 posted 2003-06-16 08:31 PM

Thanks Sue and you're better up putting a pic of bear

Karen i never refutted what he was saying i was merely stating my point

[This message has been edited by Aenimal (06-16-2003 08:54 PM).]

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
23 posted 2003-06-17 03:34 AM

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
24 posted 2003-06-18 12:38 PM

Now now - if I did that it wouldnt be accurate - his eyes were green . . .
El_Campeador
since 2003-01-29
Posts 761
Ohio, USA
25 posted 2003-06-18 02:53 PM

There are Christians who try and push their religion on others. Personally, I don't think that it works.

But there are also atheists who try and push their religion (that is, anti-religion) on others, and that is not right either.

I believe we should challenge each other to seek the truth, and not try shove our beliefs down each other's throats like we know everything.

But that's the view from a Christian

~El Campeador

“We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” –Robert Louis Stevenson

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
26 posted 2003-06-18 03:17 PM

I loved reading all the replies that this piece provoked--and yours as well! I personally have been a member of several churches and now I am a spiritualist! To each his own! I found my path and it works for me! Live and let live is my motto. Personally, when I write, I'm writing for me and hope I don't offend anyone in the process--that would NEVER be my intent. People may disagree with my views, beliefs or anything else, but I would expect it to be done with respect but not put downs. We're all here to learn from one another--and vive la difference!

Love, Understanding & Acceptance,
EA

[This message has been edited by Earth Angel (06-18-2003 07:42 PM).]

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
27 posted 2003-06-18 03:35 PM

Amen, or ditto, or whatever other word is wanted to say that I agree with Linda 100%...........we all need to have Love,  Understanding, and Acceptance...regardless of our differences.

If I told you people the differences in this very subject (religion)that my Honey-Love and I have, many of you would really believe that my love poems are all fantasy. Some of you would never believe that two people who have such different beliefs on a subject could be so bonded and could get along so well. The key is exactly what Linda said above......Love, Understanding, and Acceptance.

If we allowed it to happen, we could have arguments on the subject, because we both believe so strongly in what we do (or don't) believe. One of the reasons that he loves me so much is that I do accept him just the way he is, without trying to change him or his beliefs....just as that's one of the reasons that I love him so much, too.

Well, I used my relationship as an example here. Maybe, I shouldn't have said so much in this forum? I guess it just sort of came out...or I didn't keep it from it.

Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
28 posted 2003-06-18 04:23 PM

The only person I question and judge is myself .nice write again Raph.

Jason

Artic Wind
Member Rara Avis
since 2007-09-16
Posts 8080
Realm of Supernatural
29 posted 2008-02-22 08:46 PM

ARCTIC WIND

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #27 » A Question Of Tolerance

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary