navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Luke 19:27
Philosophy 101
Post A Reply Post New Topic Luke 19:27 Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2007-03-24 10:14 PM

“But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them,
bring hither, and slay them before me.”

I read this in: “Rebels  The Irish Rising of 1916” by Peter De Rosa
and according to his book it was what finally motivated an English
major to execute three unarmed men taken captive.

This is the first time I’ve read anything that alleges to come from
the New Testament, (that is the life and sayings of Jesus), that seemed
akin to the beat down if not kill the unbeliever passages I’ve read in the Koran.

Am I understanding the passage correctly?  Are there others?

John

© Copyright 2007 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 2007-03-25 09:16 AM

John, this saying is part of a parable. The words are attributed in the parable to "a certain man, a noble, who went into a far country, to obtain for himself a kingdom, and to return." The parable also states that his citizens hated him and did not want him to rule over them. The noble also refers to himself as a harsh man who dealt severely with his slave who did not put money entrusted to him in the bank to earn interest and instead hid it in a hankerchief for safekeeping. I've never seen a study on this parable and don't know what it means other than "To whom much is given, much will be required", but I'm sure others here may know, and I will try to see if I can find any studies done on this particular parable.
Stephanos
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-07-31
Posts 3618
Statesboro, GA, USA
2 posted 2007-03-27 01:20 AM

John,

In light of Jesus' constant urging against the tendencies of Zealotism among the Jews (and among some of his own disciples), this parable would hardly make sense in a literal fashion.  It does paint a graphic picture of God's vengeance toward his defiant enemies at the Seond Coming, however.  But regardless of how palatble or justifiable someone finds the teaching of God's wrath, this cannot easily be confused with presecriptions to violence, without violence first being done to the text.  

Stephen.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Philosophy 101 » Luke 19:27

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary