navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » Orwell and WMDs
Open Poetry #26
Post A Reply Post New Topic Orwell and WMDs Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space

0 posted 2003-06-10 10:08 PM

My mind wanders
in the dangerous realms
of doublethink

Crafted words from
The Ministry of Truth
do not sit well

Remembering truths
that are no longer truths
in between the slogans

I fix my face into an
optimistic Party smile
before the telescreen

And try to forget
how one George has proved
another George correct

Almost 20 years later

[This message has been edited by Aenimal (06-10-2003 10:11 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 raphael giuffrida - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2003-06-10 10:35 PM

I just backspaced a speech.

Kindred spirits, we are, but laughing, YOU try picking between Bush and Gore!

Or better yet, my favorite moment of voting angst was Governor of Louisiana--Edwin Edwards or David Duke? Considering both are convicted felons now, I guess it really was a toss up!

Aenimal for President!

Kahlil
since 2003-04-12
Posts 1881

2 posted 2003-06-10 10:42 PM

Serenity, we'd probably be better off with Aenimal for President, but let's not wish our dear friend to the doom of Presidentom!
(wouldn't our lives be interesting, though?)

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
3 posted 2003-06-10 11:01 PM

Raph:

never thought about that . . .
the 2 Georges' . . .
quite sharp
and for President?
Life would be interesting for sure
*smiling*

nice write
xxoo

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
4 posted 2003-06-11 02:53 AM

inkedgoddess
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-19
Posts 7392
Ohio
5 posted 2003-06-11 07:03 AM

taking a shot at us yanks again...............tho i do agree....
come on down, and join us, we could use
you on our side.....and we are so far, i think, sars free

idleeyes86
since 2003-06-09
Posts 64
Somewhere over the rainbow
6 posted 2003-06-11 07:15 AM

Ah you see in the good ol' UK we have it easy, one party is just confused and all of the members say different things, then there's the Labour party who are generally well organised...but make the odd wrongf decision. Mind you atleast you have a choice

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
7 posted 2003-06-11 11:43 AM

Oh don't think we have it any better people. We have a buffoon as a leader(though he's about to step down..sigh) who's party is sometimes sickeningly leftist. The other option is a sickeningly rightwing party. Everything is done in extremes and there's so much bickering within the parties and public there's really only ever one choice..hide in a cave

K I don't think I'm eligible as a non american lol

kahlil thanks or sparing me besides it would all go wrong..i mean first of all president is so 20th century...i'd go old school..Emperor Raph..oooh I likes that..yesss precioussssss..oops did I think that aloud?

Sue life would be interesting..mind you the titanic sinking was kinda interesting too

dix

Mish Sars free but now you got Monkeypox and west nile..well everybody's got west nile..cocoon anybody?

idle canada and the uk are so similar, we both have wankers in power from all parties..but well intentioned wankers

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
8 posted 2003-06-12 12:28 PM

ummm . . . I caught that slip up there -

brian sites
since 2002-06-25
Posts 1475
usa
9 posted 2003-06-12 04:55 PM

I like your disgusted rage Raph

this leaves bite marks

yes
more please

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
10 posted 2003-06-12 08:53 PM

LOL
except I'm really
not laughing much at politics
and such
these days

A friend recently renamed her toilet seat
"George"

and makes regular donations
to the Republican party.
LOL.
We are really, really bad.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
11 posted 2003-06-12 09:17 PM

Sue what slippppppp ppppppreciousssss?

Bri thanks btiting yes..i'm gonna need dentures biting by the end of his term

Midnite donations eh? lmao

icebox
Member Elite
since 2003-05-03
Posts 4383
in the shadows
12 posted 2003-06-12 09:36 PM

I have often thought that wanting to be elected to hold a public office is the one character flaw that should disqualify any candidate from running for the office.

It is hard to compare the UK with the USA on some levels.  The UK resident is a subject of the government and that government only changes due to internal squabbles at an irregular interval which is determined only by those elected officials; in theory and practice, the people of the UK belong to the government.  The USA resident is a citizen.  Elections are on a regular schedule whether or not things are going smoothly for parties in power; in theory and still somewhat in practice, the government belongs to the people.

The legal system of the UK once was based on common law as is the legal system of all the USA except Louisiana.  Today, the rights of the individual are almost nonexistent in the UK and common law is only given lip service.  In the USA there is a current struggle among groups holding diametrically opposed beliefs regarding the rights of free individuals as recognized by that country's constitution and a supposedly more modern view similar to the statist model of the UK.  The population appears fairly evenly balanced in the levels of disagreement on these issues in the USA, as evidenced by the 50/50 split in the last USA president's election.  In general, in the USA the media favor one side heavily over the other.

The current tax debate in the USA is another clear example.  One side is pushing for tax cuts and tax relief for the citizens who pay the taxes and the other side supports tax revenue gifts to those who do not pay any taxes.  Both sides disguise their positions in "god is on our side" rhetoric.  Neither side is wholly wrong nor wholly right.

Hopefully, some positive resolutions will be found prior to civil war.  In all but one tragic case, that has been the compromise in the USA.

I like your poem, Sir.  It is thought provoking.

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
13 posted 2003-06-12 10:43 PM

Thank you both for the wonderful reply and the compliment
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
14 posted 2003-06-13 02:31 AM

. . . Raph your showing one of your selves up there now . . . .
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #26 » Orwell and WMDs

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary