navwin » Archives » Reflections on the Web » Guilty
Reflections on the Web
Post A Reply Post New Topic Guilty Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
fractal007
since 2000-06-01
Posts 1958

0 posted 2003-02-21 02:50 AM

The Detatchment

I can hear someone constantly screaming in my ear. He screams words like "guilty!" and "condemned!" The voice sounds oddly familiar, almost like the voice of someone I once knew. I think he had something to do with that time I was in highschool and something happened to me that had never happened before. Something horrible...

The voice is getting louder now, but saying nothing. It's just a random ecstatic jibberish of screams. It's almost as though the person is walking around above me. I can't see his eyes, but if I could they would be red - blood red. He would look like some police interrogator from hell.

That's what this all is. It's a police interrogation. I'm the unknowing, unwilling suspect in a fantastic crime of great and rare genius. I am the sickening genius who can quote shakespeare's sonnets by wrote and murder in cold blood. I don't think they'll pin me down though - not with my brains as their adversary.

But I still hear that angry cry occasionally come from my captor.

"Guilty!"

"Condemned!"

Eyes

Eyes - those are the only things I see right now. They seem to be pinned right above me, to the ceiling of some strange chamber I'm in. Those hairy eyebrows lend to their eyes' analytical, angry gaze. It's almost as if they're demanding something of me. I can't respond... It's like I'm in some sort of tube filled with water. It's like I'm the last surviving specimen of the human race.

The doctors don't want to lose me. They've put me in some sort of suspended animation. I'm floating freely inside this glass tube. They're all taking notes, watching my every twitch and move as I sleep on into some forgotten future. The computers display readouts. "His heartrate." "His brain." "His muscular system." "His circulatory system." "His eyes." "His guilt."

Something coalesces in the corner of my eye. I check to see what it is. Nothing. Just more water. Just more doctors. Just more eyes watching my every move, seeing my every thought.

Green Fields

I can smell the breeze as I once knew it so long ago, in that life I once knew. I feel like I'm in a casket lying in a field in some forgotten place.

The vinyl around me is tender to the touch and reasuring to the doubting mind. But the flowers, oh, the flowers, they smell so beautiful. The clouds above me embrace my vision like the love of God. What is God? Is he distant like this place?

A rain drop presses itself about my forehead. Another taps my hand. Still another beckons my heart.

My Room

"How are you feeling?" The figure asks. I slowly recognize her as my mother.

Slowly the eyes, the raindrops, the flowers and the doctors disappear from view and fade from my memory forever.

"Fine," I answer. "I think I am getting better. This sickness is dissipating."

She leaves.

I slowly compose my thoughts. I grab a book, and as I lay down to read, I feel a note under my pillow. Written on it in fancy lettering is one word: guilty

"If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh"

-- Magus

© Copyright 2003 fractal007 - All Rights Reserved
Charisma
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
1 posted 2003-02-21 04:05 AM

enjoyed the read

Charisma

cupcake
since 2003-01-05
Posts 116

2 posted 2003-02-21 09:33 AM

Interesting! Interestung write. It gets my vote.

I'm a reader - not a writer.

Justbleu
Member Elite
since 1999-08-31
Posts 3329
Oregon, Originally From Alaska :)
3 posted 2003-02-21 09:42 AM

VERY COOL...and kinda SPOOKY!!!!  I really enjoyed the read....

Bridgette

Chanson
since 2000-08-19
Posts 1559
Up Creek w/Out Paddle
4 posted 2003-02-21 09:57 AM

"...The doctors don't want to lose me. They've put me in some sort of suspended animation. I'm floating freely inside this glass tube. They're all taking notes, watching my every twitch and move as I sleep on into some forgotten future. The computers display readouts. "His heartrate." "His brain." "His muscular system." "His circulatory system." "His eyes." "His guilt."..."

I like this paragraph. "His guilt"
is a nice kicker. *s

When you think you have heard it all,
listen more closely.
~Dorene

Lighthousebob
Member Elite
since 2000-06-14
Posts 4725
California
5 posted 2003-02-22 11:11 AM

You are a very imaginative and intriguing writer my friend. This prose captures your audience right from the beginning to join in as it were in your interrogation of what appears to be some kind of hell and then I felt like you might be the voice of some test tube baby or something.... and then it's like woosh off to another world of perfect peace and harmony with nature and finally back to reality so it seems until the note.  WOW!!! What a splendid journey... Glad that I had the opportunity to read you again.

-Bob

Kellie_Cantrell
since 2002-05-22
Posts 1667
New York
6 posted 2003-02-23 01:41 PM

interesting indeed!!

(¨`·.·´¨) (¨`·.·´¨)
  ·.¸(¨`·.·´¨)¸.·´
     *`·.¸.·´*
    Love Always
       Kellie

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
7 posted 2003-02-23 01:51 PM

BRAVO!!! Oh Kevin, you are indeed a talented writer of prose, dearest friend, if only others could see that place of inner-enlightenment deep in you, beyond the olfactory bulbs of the eyes that illuminate such a place, and when you can't share such a vision there's nothing but questions and guilts! (big hugggssssss) This is marvelous, sweet friend, you have my vote, I am going to continue to look for your masterpieces, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Kevin, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
8 posted 2003-02-23 02:46 PM

Fractured into a thousand colorful shards of glass...

Warm hugs,
EA

hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
9 posted 2003-02-24 11:06 AM

Your prose is like something from out of the twilight zone
garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
10 posted 2003-02-25 10:26 AM

I agree with Ruth...I felt like I was reading Alfred Hitchcock, excep he was never the subject of his stories....

BTW, I have  always loved to read Alfred Hitchcock.....

Hugs,
Ethel

DawnG
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-06-23
Posts 1494
United States
11 posted 2003-02-25 12:20 PM

A very spooky read. You have my vote

Dawn

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
12 posted 2003-02-25 04:56 PM

Very interesting write~well done.

~ Trace my body with your words..
And in doing so, you touch my heart. ~

Allysa
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 1999-11-09
Posts 1952
In an upside-down garden
13 posted 2003-02-25 05:24 PM

While there were a few elements that I didn't feel in this, I really enjoyed the voice and the way that it was presented... you have my vote!

"Wie ein Quadrat in einem Kreis, eck' ich immer wieder an obwohl ich doch schon lange weiß, daß ich niemals ändern kann." ~Wizo

SimplyGold
since 2002-07-10
Posts 1453

14 posted 2003-03-16 01:44 PM

Yes, this was a most interesting read. A bit frightening. You succeeded in capturing my interest throughtout the piece.

SG

LngJhnAg
Member Elite
since 1999-07-23
Posts 3508
Boot+Kitty=Poetry in motion
15 posted 2003-03-30 06:27 PM

Is this about schizophrenia or about something darker?  Either way, it's chilling.  You've written this so well I found myself in your skin - not a pretty place to be in this story.  Well done.
Charisma
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-09-30
Posts 5906
lost in blue pages
16 posted 2003-04-04 03:39 PM

SPIRIT
since 2002-12-29
Posts 1745
California Desert
17 posted 2003-04-05 12:10 PM

Very interesting write. I cast my vote.
waldopepper
since 2003-03-18
Posts 157
Tennessee, USA
18 posted 2003-04-05 02:23 AM

Kevin, this hits too close to home for me.  I've been there and heard the words and seen the eyes before.  And I've felt the sting of self-recrimination as well.  Heartfelt and very heavy.  
Aimster
Member Elite
since 2000-02-19
Posts 4297
Charlotte, NC
19 posted 2003-04-07 09:04 PM

kevin~

such an intense but wonderful short
writing. you have my vote and i surely
hope to see this this in the book!
take care.
amy

"love is like a butterfly--
if you chase it,
it will surely fly away,instead
hold it close and watch it grow into
something beautiful"
~me~

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Reflections on the Web » Guilty

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary