navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » How do I explain this War?
Open Poetry #24
Post A Reply Post New Topic How do I explain this War? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
BlueEyes
since 2002-08-30
Posts 152
TX, USA

0 posted 2003-02-07 11:19 AM

My six-year-old caught me
   Watching the news last night
His hand resting on my arm
   His eyes so filled with fright

Why are you crying, Mommy?
   What makes you so sad?
How can I explain to him
   Why the world has gone so bad?  

Do I tell him that I'm scared
   That this world will too soon end
And I won't get the chance to see
   My boy become a man?

That I won't see my baby girl
   As her Daddy walks her down the aisle
To see the joy on her wedding day
   To see her beautiful smile

How do I explain to him
   Why two countries are at war?
Why do people want to kill each other?
   Tell me this, and I'll ask no more.....

But alas, I wipe away the tears,
   And say, "Mommy just doesn't feel well...
So off to bed you go now
   And find a story you want me to tell"

I'll tell him of magical places
   Where good always wins
Where no goodbyes are ever spoken
   And friendships never end

Where peace always abounds
   And tears are cried no more
Where hate is never spoken of
   And no one fears of war....

I wrote this because my heart is heavy with the pending thoughts of war. And although I do believe in an ever-lasting life with God, my heart still yearns for a few more years to see my children grow.

© Copyright 2003 Tera - All Rights Reserved
Brad Majors
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-04-03
Posts 2647
Georgia
1 posted 2003-02-07 11:21 AM

It would be be a wonderful day when wars need not happen.
Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

2 posted 2003-02-07 01:25 PM

"FREEDOM ISN'T FREE" - I forget where I saw that, but I believe that it's true. On one hand, I understand that sometimes war has to happen. On the other hand, I think sometimes war violence is entirely too shallow and impulsive.

I wish war wasn't ever necessary. I wish that people could come together and compromise. I wish people could accept differences instead of either trying to destroy them or change them. I wish a lot of things.

Thank you for posting this. It presents something that is easily overlooked.

- Jaime

Shiva went on break now look at how much it's gonna take to make this place a space where we can breathe.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2003-02-07 01:36 PM

I allowed my daughter to experience the sad truth about in-humanity when she was very little, when the Gulf War was about all we saw on TV. But I also watched kids movies with her, played, worked in the garden, painted rocks, and read Dr Suess. I did not need to lie to her, but rather chose to let her see many different views of reality. She wasn't surprised or traumatized by 9-11, just disgusted and sad. She approaches life with her eyes wide open, but tends to  concentrate her personal energies in the direction of her own goals, which do not include inflicting pain and suffering on others, while finding ways to make sure others don't stop her from living a full life.
Keep a fine balance, don't go overboard in either direstion. Young children see and understand far more than most adults give them credit for, and they will blossom best if given doses of the truth alongside fantasy. Hugs to you, it ain't easy, and each day parenting seems to get rougher.  

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
4 posted 2003-02-07 01:46 PM

Beautifully expressed...your words reflect the thoughts of so many---but most have not the gift for imparting them as well as you have done, dear BlueEyes!

Peace & Love,
EA

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

5 posted 2003-02-07 01:55 PM

Well written... and you ask questions I think we all wish we had the right answers for..f not to explain to our children perhaps just to explain to ourselves and the world..

I find it interesting in some ways...we will allow our children to play video games blowing things up or destroying other character. We will let them sit exposed to mature themes and language in movies or TV. Yet when it comes to war... we don't know how to answer their questions and are afraid we will tell or say too much... just seems odd to me. We want to protect them from the reality of war..and yet we often ignore the things we expose them to that prepare them in some ways to perpetuate it..

not intended in any way as singling anyone out..or critisizing anyone's parenting... just musing about society in general...

Goodknight
Member Elite
since 2002-06-15
Posts 2386
Ohio, USA
6 posted 2003-02-07 03:58 PM

your concerns are so well expressed and certainly are consistent with my own antiwar feelings.  It iis interesting to me that someone might think the effort to make peace without war is free - it is hard work to make peace.  Thanks for a loving and lovely write - Paul
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
7 posted 2003-02-07 04:00 PM

yes, me too...I understand, but could not have written it out so well
BlueEyes
since 2002-08-30
Posts 152
TX, USA
8 posted 2003-02-07 04:14 PM

Brad - Thank you for reading and replying - I don't think that day will come anytime soon - but we must hold steady, no?

Jaime - I wish alot of things, too. I think what I wish for the most is just to understand all this craziness....but then again, maybe it's best that I don't understand it.

Midnightsun: Thanks for the reply and the advice. No parenting is not easy, each day seems to get harder & harder...but ya know what? I wouldn't trade it for the world! I just hope I can somehow add a little bit of stability in their otherwise shakey world... And I agree, adults don't give children enough credit! Sometimes I think my children comprehend more than I ever could!

Earth Angel: Thank you so much for your sweet reply! You truly are an on earth!  

Cpat Hair: I agree whole-heartedly! It's a shame for parents to let their kids play violent video games and watch violent movies, and then expect them to grow to be compassionate, caring adults. After all the murders they see on movies, how do we expect it not to desensitize them? Very good point you've made.

GoodKnight: Thank you for reading and replying! I don't think it will, but I just hope some good comes out of all this.

Passing shadows: Thank you so much - your replies always mean alot to me

[This message has been edited by BlueEyes (02-07-2003 04:15 PM).]

Ericc
Member Elite
since 2003-01-31
Posts 4178

9 posted 2003-02-07 07:45 PM

Thank you.
I rest my heart in peace
and my thoughts always follow.
We can't plan for war and hope for peace.

Your poem is a beautiful tribute to the peace filled world that can( and will) exist.
Eric

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » How do I explain this War?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary