navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » Affluent
Open Poetry #24
Post A Reply Post New Topic Affluent Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
CSKpoet
since 2002-07-12
Posts 845
Island in Paradise

0 posted 2003-01-20 01:26 PM

Affluent

On the sidewalks of beautiful and opulent Waikiki
in step with the wealth of nations,
a homeless society, lapping at the scraps,
sleeping in doorways and beach park benches
amongst affluent foreigners,
under cover of shady scenic banyon trees

She wanders elite avenues in search of her oasis,
dripping with the pretentiousness
of a Starbucks cafe gourmet
she mused,
sipping a double mocha latte with extra froth,
topped with shaved chocolate
and a "touch"of Madagascar cinnamon
from a hot- cold cup,
that she holds with shaking hands,
dirty, broken nails
and then she dabs at the corners of penciled lips,
outlined several times in contrasting color,
with a bit of the sleeve of her second hand denim designer jacket.

Putting the cup down and picking up the designer copy of a pen that skips occasionally,
needing to be tapped on the edge of the table,
she  pauses for thought and begins to compose a napkin sonnet for a needy friend

Poetry is:
Passion, imagination and intellect running together.

Aloha with warmest regards, Cheryl Stewart Koomoa

[This message has been edited by CSKpoet (01-21-2003 02:35 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Cheryl Stewart Koomoa - All Rights Reserved
SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
1 posted 2003-01-20 04:45 PM

I'm not sure I get it totally, but it feels sort of ironic...(sorry) was it supposed to be? It also felt very sad...I'm just not sure about the lady??
winston
since 2002-12-19
Posts 204
NW of Eden
2 posted 2003-01-20 05:17 PM

Hi CSKpoet.

This is almost like seeing through the narrator's eyes without the visuals. There's no denying that this poem's political. This poem shows how the woman resident, the tourists, and the trade have an impact on each other.

(Aloha to my friend Wendy and Graham, visiting Wendy's family in Hawaii.)

Thanks.

It's amazing I won. I was running against peace, prosperity, & incumbency.
--G. "DUBYA" BUSH. June 14, 2001. Unaware of rolling TV camera.

CSKpoet
since 2002-07-12
Posts 845
Island in Paradise
3 posted 2003-01-20 08:37 PM

There is much sadness in my heart for the homeless here in Hawaii.
Yes, this was a bit of a sarcastic poem about the wealth that is flaunted and money spent in and on Waikiki beautification while the jobless homeless people increase in numbers every day and poverty is swept aside...under the rug.
I might add that I have organized food drives and collect and distribute food  and clothes for the homeless.
(My close association with them, in this manner, really impresses me on my own conscience to do what I can do to do my part to help and pray that others who do have the wealth might be moved to assist). I don't condone nor contribute to the poor choices some might make for alcohol or drugs, but refrain from passing judgement as to how they became street people and whether or not they can "go to work like the rest of us".

Many are totally disabled so called " discards" of society...many are native Hawaiians and many veterens.

I feed them and pass out all the love I can, while living on my own $650/mo. disability check.

The lady mentioned here is not me (but easily could be if it were not for loving and generous friends), but is one I see every time I pass a certain block, who sits as described in the poem and looks as if she is musing and writing as she sips her coffee that somebody bought for her ( the rest is speculation on my part as to what she is thinking and writing and yes, a bit of me was thrown in on the last "napkin writing" line.

NO THIS WAS NOT A LOVELY LOOK AT HAWAII, ,but
I live here full time and am alerted to this reality daily in this city....

MUCH LOVE AND THANKS TO ALL WHO VIEW THIS POEM Hopefully some might respond in compassion and reconsider when encountering a person in need of  help of any sort.

aloha and warm regards, Cher

Poetry is:

[This message has been edited by CSKpoet (01-20-2003 09:18 PM).]

regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
4 posted 2003-01-20 09:27 PM

Cher,

That is what I thought, but I kept trying to find a second woman, but mainly could only find the poverty stricken one, writing poetry....

I commend you after having read your reply. If only each of us did reach out to those less fortunate. I too, have a disability which keeps me from working full time and do not draw additional income, so I know poverty and it is a case of there go I but for the grace....You just never know what their stories are, and the ones with children, heartbreaking....I live in a very small town, so the poverty isn't quite as obvious as a larger city....
it is here, though, it is everywhere.

Thank you for this reminder....you clearly have a heart of gold.

Hugs, Pat  

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

[This message has been edited by regards2you (01-20-2003 09:38 PM).]

CSKpoet
since 2002-07-12
Posts 845
Island in Paradise
5 posted 2003-01-20 09:39 PM

Pat, Many times I have feared being forced to the street,but the grace of God has seen  that I am housed with a room in a city where studios are 900- 1000 a month to rent.

I rarely write of things such as this, but i am feeling that maybe some of my poetry should be reality, even if it bites a bit.
My fantasy poems of tropics and romance are very delightful to write and to ponder, but these issues are also in my  path of daily affairs .

And, Pat, I am blessed to have you comment and reveal a bit of yourself. We are so vulnerable when we are disabled and go through so much guilt for "not working"
when nobody knows how impossible that is for some of us.
I suppose there was even a hint of bitter in this write...on "her" behalf, not mine.
I am very blessed and all the more by the wonderful poets at PIPS, like yourself.
hugs, thanks and prayers, Pat, cher

Poetry is:

[This message has been edited by CSKpoet (01-20-2003 09:44 PM).]

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #24 » Affluent

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary