navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » Peek'a'boo!
Open Poetry #23
Post A Reply Post New Topic Peek'a'boo! Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
jstewart
since 2002-11-15
Posts 11

0 posted 2002-11-17 06:43 AM

I wait for you
so quiet and calm
you don't even know I'm here
as you pass by the palm

as seconds seem like years
I await your position
from happy to scared
I'm anxious to see the transition

as you slowly walk pass
I hold a steady grin
waiting for that perfect moment
one footstep, another and again

you've finally done it
and you still don't see
the peek'a'boo is coming
and you don't even know it's me

PICK'A'BOO!!

© Copyright 2002 Jeffery Stewart - All Rights Reserved
regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
1 posted 2002-11-17 08:27 AM

...from happy to scared.....

I am taking this literally

At first I looked for a deeper meaning but with the line above, and the title, you've tapped into my children's bizarre sense of humor...to this day, as so-called ~adults~, to sneak around a corner and scare me? Their delight! Giggles from an adult child...they are warped and I love every second of their peek-a-boos
...and don't they know it! And, if I jump two feet in the air, startled, they are downright gleeful, and now they've got my grandchildren doing it!
Warped, just plain nuts, said smiling!

Thanks, I thought only my children played this game....     Pat

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

garysgirl
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2002-09-29
Posts 19237
Florida, USA
2 posted 2002-11-17 08:36 AM

I thought along the same lines as Pat did. Everyone who knows me knows they can make me jump when they hide behind the corner and startle me with a "peek-a-boo".
But, now, of course I just pretend to be startled sometimes when I know they're there all along.....expecially the little ones in my life. They are delighted to see me jump, I guess. HaHa!!
Your poem was a delight, too, Jeffrey. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for the smiles.

"Love makes the world go around"
~~with love and hugs from Ethel~~

[This message has been edited by garysgirl (11-17-2002 08:37 AM).]

SimplyGold
since 2002-07-10
Posts 1453

3 posted 2002-11-17 08:47 AM

Yes, yes, I must agree. This brought back so many memories. Your poem was very refreshing and I enjoyed it very, very much. An instant picture of one of the emotional joys of childhood's awe and glee. One of the few ways in which a child can control reaction, even if only for a little while. Yes, this was a great snapshot.

SimplyGold

jstewart
since 2002-11-15
Posts 11

4 posted 2002-11-17 08:57 AM

I'm delighted you all enjoyed it. I was so bored with myself and childhood moment just swooped me by suprise and I just had to share it. (Even though I spelled the "Peek'a'boo" at the bottem wrong.
regards2you
Member Elite
since 2002-10-01
Posts 3940
California
5 posted 2002-11-17 10:28 AM

Jeff, I thought the incorrect spelling of the last peek-a-boo was on purpose, for,  from a small child, shivering in anticipation of what was about to happen, though taking an eternity, that is how it would sound and they spit and shouted it out in glee.

Thanks for this.  Pat

..without surrender, be on good terms with all persons..
        "Desiderata"

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
6 posted 2002-11-17 01:27 PM

(giggles in delight) Oh Jeffrey, I just love the special memories this brings, though many of the scares I suffered as a boy were bad ones, I love to play around with my sister now and now all I get is happy scares! (smiles) This is lovely, sweet friend, I love it, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Jeffrey, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

Earth Angel
Member Empyrean
since 2002-08-27
Posts 40215
Realms of Light
7 posted 2002-11-17 01:56 PM

If this had been an untitled piece, I would have had a totally different take on it--until I got to the surprising end! This was a fun read!

Earth Angel

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #23 » Peek'a'boo!

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary