navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #6 » Librarian
Teen Poetry #6
Post A Reply Post New Topic Librarian Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
aaron woodside
since 2001-09-26
Posts 256

0 posted 2003-02-05 02:57 AM

It's rough ladies and gentlemen.  I'm just warning you.

"Librarian"

Book by book my library decays
covers yellowed by the passing days
gilded letters linger there and remind
of the virtues; love and mercy
honesty and compassion, that I maligned
ideas I thought I held so dear
even as I let them disappear

Page by page each book crumbles
leaving me blind to crawl, to stumble
in this darkness I couldn't see
the joys of life I had abandoned
by arrogance, by pride, by hypocracy
and as each page returned to dust
I grew ever more debased, more unjust

Word by word each page fades
until I'm someone else a masquerade
you may think that you know me
and even though you don't I ask
Have you read my entire library?
one blank page for me to write
this time I'll do it in Black and White.

ex animo,
Aaron Woodside

There are no great men, only men in great circumstances.

© Copyright 2003 aaron woodside - All Rights Reserved
chasing rain
since 2001-05-15
Posts 737
Canada
1 posted 2003-02-05 04:02 PM

Aaron!

Long time no read. ^^
Loved the imagery here. I could hear the rustling of pages in an almost silent library (but even we are deaf to silence) and the word use...just magical. ^_^
Enjoyed these lines:

you may think that you know me
and even though you don't I ask
Have you read my entire library?

Very true to the world today...thanks for bringing it home.

The meter that you used, the A-A-B-C-B-D-D, threw me off at first. I tried to grasp the rhythm, but it wasn't working. The meter affected the flow in the first stanza, so what I would have suggested is that you bring "of the virtues;" up to the third line so that it became "gilded letters linger there and remind of the virtues". However, it might ruin the rhyming pattern and, well...we wouldn't want to mess with that, would we? o_O; Perhaps you could reword the last part of the third line and the fourth line? I'll let you work it out. ^^

Loved the part about the gilded letters, by the way. ^_^

Question:

One blank page for me to write
this time I'll do it in Black and White.

Could you explain to me what these lines mean, please? I have an idea, but I'd like to know more. I'm intrigued. ^^

Great writing, once again! Looking forward to reading more. ^_^

Leah

aaron woodside
since 2001-09-26
Posts 256

2 posted 2003-02-06 01:34 AM

Leah, thnx for the reply.  

Ya I know about the meter and rhyme scheme.  I said it was rough     Personally I usually don't worry as much about those things as I should.

"However, it might ruin the rhyming pattern and, well...we wouldn't want to mess with that, would we?"

Lol, ya I already know of your stance on rhyming poetry, but hey I saw your last post.     I agree rhyming poetry is the hardest to write effectivly.  I like your suggestions, and I may decide to edit this, since I am planning on submitting a few of my poems to a review for publishment, and I haven't decided which ones to submit.

As to your question, well I think I'll have some fun with this one.  Tell me what you think they mean.  Actually tell me what you think the entire poem is about.  

>>>Hint<<< "think of a phoenix"

It's not a great hint, but with a little imagination I'm sure you'll get it.

ex animo,
Aaron Woodside

IN NOMINE PATRI ET FILII ET SPIRITUS SANCTI

[This message has been edited by aaron woodside (02-06-2003 01:35 AM).]

chasing rain
since 2001-05-15
Posts 737
Canada
3 posted 2003-02-06 05:27 PM

Aaron:

Ooh-kay...I'm thinking phoenix...bird. Fire. Fiery bird! Bird on fire...roast bird?

Uhm...trying again.

Phoenix- The capital and largest city of Arizona, in the south-central part of the state northwest of Tucson. Settled cerca 1868, it became territorial capital in 1889 and state capital in 1912. The city is noted as a winter and health resort. Population: 983,403.

No? (And you thought you were having fun with this... )

Okay...trying again.

Phoenix- mythological bird living for 500 years, consuming itself in fire, only to rise from its ashes. Reincarnation?

Immortality? Hmm...Colour fades. But would black and white be considered colours? If not, writing them in "Black and White" would mean...they would never fade? WAIT! Reliving life. Reincarnation! Reliving life because the past life wasn't lived properly.

And so Black and White would be the real...you?

Another hint please.

Leah
Lexy
since 2003-01-28
Posts 1038
California
4 posted 2003-02-08 04:06 PM

..I can relate to what your saying. great imagery. I loved the second stanza. I'll be looking at more of your work.. Thanks for sharing.
~Lexy

aaron woodside
since 2001-09-26
Posts 256

5 posted 2003-02-08 09:34 PM

Leah you pretty much got it, like I figured you would.  Black and white fades, but what does it fade to? Simply white.  

I have one page left to write my life upon, actually one page left to write about this chapter in my life.  I will do it in black and white, so that I may regain what I have lost(phoenix, burning up and being reborn ).  If you are confused check out my other new poem, and maybe you'll begin to understand where this one came from.

Thnx for the replies.

ex animo,
Aaron Woodside  

IN NOMINE PATRI ET FILII ET SPIRITUS SANCTI

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #6 » Librarian

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary