navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #6 » Let's Talk About Critiques - Discussion
Teen Poetry #6
Post A Reply Post New Topic Let's Talk About Critiques - Discussion Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...

0 posted 2003-01-24 10:09 PM

Hi everyone.

Considering all of the apparent confusion and misunderstanding that have been taking place recently, I thought if might be helpful to discuss your views on what a critique is or should be.

Do you welcome critiques of your poetry?
If not, why not?  If so, why?
If you have a critique message, what does it say?  
Does it make clear what you would like to see in a critique?

What do you expect from a critique?
Are there specific points that are more interesting or important to you than others?
If so, what are these specific points?
Why are they important to you?

This is something that I thought was rather interesting, so I thought I'd share it...just a little history about the word and it's usage.

"Usage Note: Critique has been used as a verb meaning “to review or discuss critically” since the 18th century, but lately this usage has gained much wider currency, in part because the verb criticize, once neutral between praise and censure, is now mainly used in a negative sense. But this use of critique is still regarded by many as pretentious jargon, although resistance appears to be weakening. In our 1997 ballot, 41 percent of the Usage Panel rejected the sentence As mock inquisitors grill him, top aides take notes and critique the answers with the President afterward. Ten years earlier, 69 percent disapproved of this same sentence. Resistance is still high when a person is critiqued: 60 percent of the Usage Panel rejects its use in the sentence Students are taught how to do a business plan and then are critiqued on it. Thus, it may be preferable to avoid this word. There is no exact synonym, but in most contexts one can usually substitute go over, review, or analyze. ·Note, however, that critique is widely accepted as a noun in a neutral context; 86 percent of the Panel approved of its use in the sentence The committee gave the report a thorough critique and found it both informed and intelligent."

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

The thing that I found most interesting about the above explanation, was the fact that the sentences that the Usage Panel most rejected were the ones that referred to a critique directed more at an individual than a 'thing'.  This way of thinking follows right along with the Passions philosophy of directing the critique at the poem and not the poet.  This is sometimes a fine line with poetry, because often the poem is a 'part of' or an 'extention of' the poet, and therefore it is difficult for the poet to not take the critique personally.  This being the reason for having the option of welcoming critiques or not.

Anyway...tell me what you think?  I'd really like to know what your opinions are and perhaps this will help us all to understand one another better and to know a little more about what each of us is or is not comfortable with.

I would ask that you be careful to keep your comments directed at the subject matter and not at any specific situations or members.  Your cooperation will be very much appreciated.

~Vicky

© Copyright 2003 Vicky L. Raynes - All Rights Reserved
Eromyna
since 2002-11-29
Posts 306
Pheonix, AZ, USA
1 posted 2003-01-24 10:21 PM

Do you welcome critiques of your poetry? Why yes. I do.
If so, why? I need others' perspectives to point out what I may overlook in my affection for my own creation.
If you have a critique message, what does it say?  Something about how I've been writing for a long time and now I'm trying to spruce it up.
Does it make clear what you would like to see in a critique? I think it does.

What do you expect from a critique? Either that they liked it, or that it irked them somehow, and then an explanation of how.
Are there specific points that are more interesting or important to you than others? Of course.
If so, what are these specific points? For example, I'd rather know that you enjoyed reading a piece than that I spelled everything right.
Why are they important to you? I write for the beauty of the thing. It satisfies me to know that others enjoy it as much as I do.

"I don't need to scream for you to deem me aggravation."

Starr
since 2001-02-08
Posts 100

2 posted 2003-01-25 08:25 AM

Yes I do welcome critique.... Becuz critique makes you learn from your mistakes.. it's there to help not hinder... I welcome it.
Critique can be good or bad... but the point is to learn from them!

Every action of our lives touches some chord that will vibrate in eternity.

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
3 posted 2003-01-25 03:16 PM

I'll be back to this one, Vicky. Great topic matter.

~Titus

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
                 --Aldous Huxley

Android 17
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-07-21
Posts 664
Winnipeg
4 posted 2003-01-25 07:36 PM

*gasp* A discussionary thread in a Teen POETRY FORUM?! MODERATOR!!! MODERATOR!!! A CRIME HAS BEEN COMMITED!!! THIS IS A TRAVESTY AGAISNT THE SYSTEM!!! :P

-----------

Yup! Why else would I put it up on the internet! The stuff I TRULY teasure, I don't post on the web. I fear 'dem pirates!

I'd love an honest hearing of the how, what and whens of my work! After all, critiques are a part of learning!

Huh? I don't quite follow...

OOOH! I GOTCHA!!! Yup! It does! It states, basically, "Do whatever you want! Just be respectable!"

I expect it to be honest, and basically...it should teach me something, by reading about what you've read!

Are there specific points that are more interesting or important to you than others?
No! They're all fine!

...next question!

...*looks around*

Vekrdehk fyc dra uhmo drehk E fyc kuut yd...pid, yd maycd E ymfyoc vuikrd vun fryd E pameajat eh...

Erin
Member Elite
since 2000-06-15
Posts 2527
~Chicago~
5 posted 2003-01-26 03:31 AM

I dont welcome them on my work.

Its my work, those are my feelings put into a poem and u cant critique my feelings. I mean if someone offers a suggestion to what can make it better i could use their help if i want it. I mean if someone doesnt like my poem or has something negative to say about it, most of the time it doesnt bother me cause i must have liked it enough to share it with all these people. I mean it is a part of learning but this is just my opinion.

Kielo
since 2002-02-11
Posts 1109

6 posted 2003-01-26 03:35 PM

I welcome critiques, as unskilled as I am at giving them. I like to know why people liked or disliked my poem, and if they have advice, more the better. I am very, very unskilled at editing.

I believe my critique message says something to the effect of "Help... I don't know what I'm doing!" Or maybe more like "Help me, its the only way I'll learn." Something like that... Actually, now I'm wondering what it says... lol

I enjoy hearing what a person thought of my poem, but I enjoy hearing the why behind it more. Favorite lines are good, as are suggestions.

I hope something I said was useful.

Kielo

I know only one thing, and that thing is that I know nothing.

[This message has been edited by Kielo (01-26-2003 05:07 PM).]

EleanorMoonbaby
since 2002-09-02
Posts 202
England, UK
7 posted 2003-01-26 04:24 PM

Yes. I'm not here for the standard gushing "Wow, what a great write!" response.

I like to know what people really think of the poem,and how I can improve. I'd be a very arrogant person if I assumed that my poetry appeals to everyone and doesn't need improvement.

Am I good? Do I suck? You, the people, decide. This poem's fate lies in your hands!

I guess not. In case my critique message isn't clear enough, write what you want.

Firstly, feedback. I like to know what people think. Secondly, interpretations. Some people come up with some interesting views on what I write about. Thirdly, suggestions for improvement. This isn't always possible, as occasionally people will see a poem they didn't like but aren't sure why. If you can, however, I'm interested.

No, I think they're all equally important and interesting.

I just answered that! I'm a very busy woman, you know!

Get me outta heeeeeeeeeere!

I'm not dead, OK? I'm just a little electroencephalographically challenged!

OtherSideOfTheMirror
since 2002-12-19
Posts 245

8 posted 2003-01-26 04:38 PM

Hello everyone! This seems like a really interesting discussion and so though I didn't plan on including myself I will comment for the good of man... or, erm... because I have nothing better to do.

Absolutely.

Because that's what I come here for.  If someone has an idea that could help me I welcome it!!! I usually write for me, and organizing my thoughts on paper could always benefit someone with the same feelings.  It feels good when people say they can relate... it helps me make sure I am thinking strait.  Did that make sense?

I honestly don't remember what mine says but something like "Critique me."?

I don't suppose it does.  Maybe it would in fact help us all if we would just state what we expect and what we'd like.  

I expect honestly, realistic views, interpretations, and opinions.  I usually take people's advice and I like to see how others view what i write.  Because when I write, I'm writing about my own feeling and situation, it's good to see if I portray it well and if it applies to other situations.

Wait I answered that prematurely.  Refer to above.

I'm not sure.

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
9 posted 2003-01-26 10:55 PM

yes I do, but only if it's in a respectful manner.
cause as great as I am, ( ) I can always be improved upon, especially with my writing.
Something like "yes please, but be nice about it". I'm thinking that I'm going to make it a little bit more... specific sometime in the future.
Nope, that's why I'm thinking about changing it.

I expect the person to be honest, in a respectful manner. If something about my writing doesn't jive with them, I'd like to know why.
Jah there are a few.
Word usage, spelling... I don't care much for someone critiquing my punctuation cause my punctuation tends to be kinda erratic.
Because of my career choice, I need to have a wide vocab, and my spelling skills are an absolute must

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
10 posted 2003-01-31 10:46 PM

Do you welcome critiques of your poetry? Yes.

If not, why not?  If so, why? I seek to know what my poetry says to an individual, what they get from it, and how they might see I can improve.

If you have a critique message, what does it say?  "Installation in process.... what are you recieving?"

Does it make clear what you would like to see in a critique? You tell me.

What do you expect from a critique? Uhh... what I said above.

Are there specific points that are more interesting or important to you than others? Yes.

If so, what are these specific points? What a reader got from it.

Why are they important to you? I wrtie for myself, first, but I seek to write with the reader in mind, eventually, to see if I can change or improve or pass something on worth value, whatever value.

Es ist gut, daß das Leben die Toten studieren sollte.

anonymousfemale
Member Elite
since 2000-02-02
Posts 2797
Limbo
11 posted 2003-02-01 04:43 AM

I do welcome critiques on my poetry only because I don't want people to be limited to what they can and cannot say. If it's crap, I want to hear it. A person should be able to have whatever judgement they like on a piece and this is the exact reason why I allow it. They're reading it because they want to - they've giving me an opinion because they want to. I'd much rather have honesty than some flowery BS about it.

My critique message is a joke, it's not meant to be serious. if you need to know what it is, you can reply to one of my pieces. It's not clear but then again people don't need to be spoon fed in their replies. They have a brain so they can use it.

All that I expect from a critique is honesty. If they can't do that, perhaps they should become a politician. All points are important therefore I don't mind what anyone has to say.

If people are getting narky over a few comments from people they've never met, they're going to need to sort themselves out. It's the not person replying that has the problem, it's the writer.

"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note." -- Gore Vidal

chasing rain
since 2001-05-15
Posts 737
Canada
12 posted 2003-02-01 03:58 PM

No. Not at all. Never. I get offended easily. ~_^ (yes)

If not, why not? If so, why?
A poet is naught but a thing in a knot if there's no one there to read it. Poetry is like paper. You can rip it to shreds, but it's still paper in a different form. I want to see something different; someone else's interpretation. I never take it personally, because critques are never personal. They're only based on actions.

"...and so the world troubles themselves over what to say about nothing..."

Nope. ^_^

Not a whole lot. People differ in the way they critique. Interpretations are cool. It's awesome when people tell you what they think. Then you get to see the whole picture out of someone else's eyes. Why? Because it's better than cutting out someone's eyeballs and sticking them in your own sockets. ^_^ Minority Report, anybody?

A critique is a critique. But I enjoy interpretations.

I believe I've just stated that in the above question.

I don't like being biased. ~_^ Besides, what someone else got out of the poem just makes what I wrote so much more enjoyable and enlightening. That is satisfaction.

Marshalzu
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-15
Posts 2681
Lurking
13 posted 2003-02-02 05:46 PM

Yes

If not, why not? If so, why?

I find myself far too attached to my own work, thus I’m not critical enough of my own
work, it’s nice to see some detached point out some of the short comings.

quote:
I would like a constructive criticism of my work, punctuation, language, spelling as
well as imagery, meaning etc...

I’d like to think that it is.

I’d like to see a new, refreshing and unbiased perspective of my poetry, that offers
constructive advice and opinions. I don’t mind “I don’t like this” but some advice has to
offered in my opinion.

I haven’t got a thing that I’m worried about, rythmn and metre are good, as are
interpretations, comments on the language are well recieved usually, I don’t know,
anything really.

Andrew

My Violent Bedtime Stories

merlynh
since 1999-09-26
Posts 411
deer park, wa
14 posted 2003-09-25 03:54 PM

It is not easy to be honest. Frankly I am impressed to find this post.  Not all writers are ready to hear the truth. People get into poety because they need to sort of get emotions out of themselves as an attempt to deal with life. Some after a period of time learn how to refine their skills becoming great at expressing ideas grow into deeper thinking writers learning from their trade, after a while they may grow into writing stories,or novels or even just stay poets.  This is a brief outline of how some of the greatest writers who ever lived got started. Some of the posts I read are not so very different from some of the earily writings of great writers. It's scary!  If you don't beleive me just do a little research yourself. Stephen King's book "On Writing" is one of the best books I've read about writing in twenty years, simply because he is being honest.  All critiques are helpful if their honest.  Anyone will never become a better writer if they are not honest with themselves.
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Teen Poetry #6 » Let's Talk About Critiques - Discussion

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary