navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #21 » Eight Seconds
Open Poetry #21
Post A Reply Post New Topic Eight Seconds Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia

0 posted 2002-07-18 10:49 PM

Eight Seconds - for Damien Scott.

He follows the circut
chasing a long held dream
to be the best there is,
to find fortune and fame.

No time to think on it
'cause now he hears his call,
"Cowboy up, shute seven.
Lets see you give your all."

His heart is in his mouth
though he's tied down tight.
Eight seconds of his life
he has to get just right.

He knows its a good ride,
everything went to plan.
That buckles in his sight,
he's done the best he can.

This is for Damo and all the cowboys who 'give it a go', I have a lot of admiration for their courage. I promised him this a long time ago and now I have finally followed through with another promise.

Stand straight and tall, not the reflection as others see you, but as you truely are.        Clearwater

© Copyright 2002 Dee Manders - All Rights Reserved
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
1 posted 2002-07-18 10:52 PM

(smiles) Oh Dee, this is wonderful, sweet friend, I just know Damo is going to love this, for I too love cowboys, for I a fascinated by their grace and courage and their simple and pastoral lifestyles and nomadic journies! (kiss on cheek) This is excellent, sweet friend, I LOVE IT, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Dee, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

the_loner_23
Member Ascendant
since 2002-06-08
Posts 5479
Jacksonville, Florida, USA
2 posted 2002-07-18 11:47 PM

Awesome

Cold hands means a warm heart

Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
3 posted 2002-07-19 12:05 PM

Cool write cowgirl. Great Tribute to all the rodeo riders.

parker

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
4 posted 2002-07-19 11:02 AM

Did ya know that you look good in rodeo verse?  A beautiful tribute to those that take on the ride and live for the last tick of the second hand.  Reminded me so much of my favorite movie "Eight Seconds"... true story of Lane Frost.  Your cowboy friend is sure to cherish this forever.  Now where is the verse? LOL
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

5 posted 2002-07-19 04:53 PM

A perfect poetic promise....and a wonderful gifting of your words to a friend...how cool of a tribute is this. I knew Mark would love it...as soon as I saw the title I smiled.
Ya have to see that movie if ya love cowboys..and we all do
Your keeping promises to yourself when ya keep them to a friend.
Well done poetess D-cow-girlie

How she loves me, I dont understand
If time wont change me, perhaps she can
And I feel her trying when were apart
God dont let me break her heart

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
6 posted 2002-07-19 06:21 PM

As was said above, this too reminded me of the life story/movie of Lane Frost.  It also reminds me of Gunslinger, our own cowboy poet, and a few others who cowboyed up on their journeys through life, as certain events determine a life's course in as few as eight seconds...

well done, Dee....

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
7 posted 2002-07-19 09:55 PM

Noah as always you make me smile. Thank you for your always sweet replies.

loner, thank you, btw Damien is pretty awesome too.

Park, good to see you! I think they deserve more than I could put into words. Their courage amazes me.

Mark, I have heard some of Lane Frost's story but I want to hire the movie so I can find out more. I don't know why but I thought you would like this one.
Oh and by the way, about the shy comment on the other thread - nah I don't think so! lol
(And I emailed that verse!)

Janet, I sorta thought Mark might be tempted to drop in on this one too.
There is no better gift I love than a poem someone has written just for me so I hope that is how Damien will feel.
Thanks for the support as always, mothy one

Sunshine, I had never thought of it like that but you are right... a lot of things in life depend on a short time.
I thought of all our cowboys when I wrote this too. They all deserve a standing ovation.

Love to all,
Dee

Stand straight and tall, not the reflection as others see you, but as you truely are.        Clearwater

Mark Bohannan
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-21
Posts 7269
In the winds of Cherokee song
8 posted 2002-07-20 07:48 AM

Dee, WHO did you email it to would be the question? ROFL......sorry sweet friend of the outback rodeo......never got it.  Better check the addy with our mothy friend as I can't leave it on here for you, but we will fix it and get this thing in the air.  Me? say you were shy???????? oh yeah, I guess I did didn't I!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
9 posted 2002-07-21 01:52 AM

Ok Mark, done now

Bec
since 2001-02-23
Posts 475
Canberra
10 posted 2002-07-21 11:26 PM

You know how much Damo loves the limelight... I know he'll love having a poem like this all of his own!

Bec

"Poetry and Hums aren't things which you get, they're things which get you. And all you can do is to go where they can find you."
-Winnie-the-Pooh

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
11 posted 2002-07-22 11:06 PM

He sure does love the limelight, Bec I promised him this at the Lee Kernaghan concert a couple of years ago. So I hope he thinks its worth the wait.

Love ya.
Mum xo

PoetryIsLife
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-10-27
Posts 1763
...in my boxers...
12 posted 2002-07-23 02:55 PM

I love this piece! It's superbly done; beautifully reflects the passions and fuel of those 8 seconds. Thank you for this. I muchly enjoyed this.

Sincerely,
Titus

PS: Have you seen the movie? Has that question already been asked?

As I'm out there, walking, searching, for myself, for you.... won't you join me? Let's walk this journey together.

Dee
Member Elite
since 2000-08-19
Posts 2330
Queensland, Australia
13 posted 2002-07-25 03:50 AM

Titus, glad you liked it so much.
And, no I haven't seen the movie yet, but it is on my list of ones to watch.

Dee

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #21 » Eight Seconds

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary