navwin » Discussion » Poetry Challenge! » Never written a poem
Poetry Challenge!
Post A Reply Post New Topic Never written a poem Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Sky_Dancer
since 2000-07-07
Posts 17

0 posted 2000-07-10 10:52 PM

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to this site and I have no idea how to express myself through poetry. Can any one give me ideas to start my first REAL poem? I can write love poems, so please no ideas on those, but anything else??? Thanks.
Sky_Dancer

© Copyright 2000 Sky_Dancer - All Rights Reserved
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
1 posted 2000-07-11 04:05 PM

Sky dancer, I guess what I feel comes naturally make it hard to give advice but I hope this helps.

1. The poem does not have to rhyme, in fact it can be harder to use rhyme as if it does not work well then the poem will turn out bad.

2. Write about what you know, you feel, your passions your pains. You can elements of fiction in later when you start to develop. By elements of fiction that you base the poem in reality and your own experiences but you flavour it with a bit of fantasy.

3. poems are concise stories. Ask yourself is an image necessary? Could I get say this using shorter sentences? If so how will effect the mood and the flow of the poem?

4. Remember that some one else will be reading the poem so you have to hold their interest. No one expects a classic almost perfect poem. Some of the people who post here have being writing for years and are still fine tuning their craft. It is through our mistakes that we learn and we never stop learning.

Lastly have fun enjoy what you are doing.

I hope this has been some help.  

"I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else" faster-Manic street preachers.

Sky_Dancer
since 2000-07-07
Posts 17

2 posted 2000-07-11 05:07 PM

Thank you Brian. You have been a lot of help. I was just a little peeved because for years I have been writing about the same subject, using the same type of rhyme. What was most upsetting for me was the fact that my unrhymed poetry makes less sense than my rhymed poetry. I'm going to have to work really hard at this. You are luck it comes easy for you Thanks again
Sky_Dancer

Marilyn
Member Elite
since 1999-09-26
Posts 2621
Ontario, Canada
3 posted 2000-08-08 05:23 PM

Hello Sky Dancer. Having to work at something is not a bad thing.   I have written for years but only for myself (therapy) until I found this site. I poured my emotions and my thoughts into my work. Since I have found Passions I have taken workshops and had some very talented poets help me. When I look back at those poems BP (before Passions)...They were really bad...lol. Hard work and keeping at it is what makes anything worth while. It is also the love of the craft that urges us to continue writing. If there is a love and a will...there is a way.

Happy writing and I am sorry that this is late. I have a habit of pulling up the rear..lol.

When you are old and grey and full of sleep,
And nodding by the fire, take down this book,
And slowly read, and dream of the soft look
Your eyes had once, and of their shodows deep;

How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face...

William Butler Yeats

Wren
since 2000-07-05
Posts 312

4 posted 2000-08-08 11:19 PM

Hi!
There are many types of poetry and many styles. If your new at it I suggest that the first thing you do is "get to know your medium", as we artists say.  
Here's something to do that might help you find a style and voice that fits you-
Get a pad of paper and a pen. Walk around your house or your neighborhood and get a general impression of the place. Describe your impressions in your note book.This is a warmup to your poem. Then pick a topic for a poem- it could be as tiny as a paper clip, but make sure it is a pysical object.(It is easier to look at a object w/out preconcived notions of word choice...it's harder to write cliches.) Start a flow-of -conciousness writing about your subject. This writing will become the basis of your poem. Try rearrangeing or changing some words. Try out different styles and forms.Look at the object from diffrent perspectives. Think of how you would use this object if you were not yourself but a different person.
When you are done you will have many versions of your poem. Examine each of them and see what you like and don't like.
Remember- this is only an exersize to help you ajust to the poetry "thought process" (It's also good for writers block)
Good luck and let your imagination run wild!
-Wren

The thread of destiny
Unknown by anyone
Unseen by anyone
Winds around your heart
Moist with tears
-Vampire Princess Miyu Theme

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » Poetry Challenge! » Never written a poem

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary