navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #20 » The Netherlands are shocked - one politician down
Open Poetry #20
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Netherlands are shocked - one politician down Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Titia Geertman
Member Ascendant
since 2001-05-07
Posts 5182
Netherlands

0 posted 2002-05-06 04:45 PM

The Netherlands were shocked tonight as around six o'clock a man fired six or seven shots at one of our politicians, he died instantly. This politician was a 'dangerous' man in his believes (anti everything that was not native) but as I recall, we still have freedom of speech. No one helps democracy by shooting the ideas you don't approve of.
+++++

Tonight in Holland time is standing still
No one ever believed it could be done
Insanity of one man has paid it's bill
By shotgun one politician has gone

I know he was not loved by many man
because what he believed in scared us all
So you could say to me 'that's settled then'
But we are free to speak as I recall

No justice in the world would set this right
You've had it too but this is our first time
It will be chaos in big towns tonight
So I just sit here telling you in rhyme

What will become of the World's sanity
Will angst become each day's reality?

+++++

A rose is a rose is a rose...I guess...
Check out my new website: lookheretitia.fcpages.com (I didn't 'link' this, so it won't take too much space).I

[This message has been edited by Titia Geertman (05-06-2002 05:04 PM).]

© Copyright 2002 Titia Geertman - All Rights Reserved
Elan
since 2002-05-03
Posts 382
State of Wide Eye
1 posted 2002-05-06 04:47 PM

This will have far-reaching effect, for the US has lost many a good man to just this type of act...it does not make sense, and I do hope that your country's justice will be swift.

Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
2 posted 2002-05-06 04:54 PM

Tita darling girl this is utterly perfect you’ve explained and shown the shocked horror that people must be feeling now. Wonderful writing on a subject that is without doubt one of the most shocking things you must have had to deal with.

Take care of yourself and believe in truth and hope that things will get better

Love and warm stuff
As always
Mushy

To give light to them that sit in darkness..... to guide our feet into the way of peace Luke 2:79

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
3 posted 2002-05-06 04:57 PM

"What will become of the World's sanity
Will angst become each day's reality?"

(tears fall down my cheeks) Oh Titia, this is so very sad, sweet friend, it is dreadful indeed and I too don't understand where we all are going and I fear the extenuate effects it can have worldwide! (BIG HUGGGSSSSSSS) My heart cries out to you and the people of Netherlands, I send huge American hugs of healing to you all, God Bless You, we all love you so much! You are in my thoughts and prayers! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Titia, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

"Underneath your clothes there's an endless story..."

Shakira

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
4 posted 2002-05-06 06:15 PM

Yes it can be so real when so close to home...James
Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
5 posted 2002-05-06 06:23 PM

Titia, you are right on the mark with this. When I read the news, I was shocked. When I think of Holland, in my mind I see tulips, Friesiens, and windmills...not weapons, not hate, certainly not politically motivated  assassinations.  I am as shocked as you are.  Freedom of speech is basic to the continued existence of humankind.  

[This message has been edited by Midnitesun (05-06-2002 06:24 PM).]

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
6 posted 2002-05-06 07:41 PM

How frightening, Titia...

No justice in the world would set this right

I guess this line sums it all up.  There is no reason for anyone to take the life of another human being.
~lots of hugs

Lyra

copyright2002 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

bsquirrel
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-01-03
Posts 7855

7 posted 2002-05-06 07:59 PM

Tough times everywhere. Nice encapsulation of that in this poem.
NewEnglandlazurlu
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-01-04
Posts 7470
A Mountain Paradise
8 posted 2002-05-06 08:41 PM

Such senseless violence. I saw this on the TV news tonight and it made me very sad and angry. The man killed, although perhaps a bit much with his views, still has the right to speak. I am sorry that this happened in your country. I think of Holland as such a calm, quiet and beautiful place. Now blood and violence has scarred the landscape. Insanity and injustice seems to be rampant all over our world.  May God have mercy on us all.  Hugs, Marti

" My wrinkles are badges of courage and reveal that I am a Mother."

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #20 » The Netherlands are shocked - one politician down

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary