navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » Transferring Data from a Non-working Computer
Geek Stuff
Post A Reply Post New Topic Transferring Data from a Non-working Computer Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...

0 posted 2005-02-07 02:18 PM

Okay... here's the deal...

My computer got zapped hard in a rainstorm the other day...fried my motherboard...

and yep... I had it on a surge protector, but it got it anyway...  Apparently, lightning struck a transformer, so it hit pretty hard..

Long story short, my computer is quite dead...

So... I talked to my brother and changed my birthday request... I asked him to help me out with getting a new computer, and he agreed... I'll save the old one, and eventually, it will be yet another learning experience, when I'm ready to rebuild it...

but at the moment?... I'm awaiting the arrival of my brand new Dell...

It's not a 'top of the line' model or anything, but it has everything that I need, so to me?... it IS the top of the line... not to mention, the very first NEW computer that I have ever had...

but anyway.. my question is this...

I have every reason to believe that the 2 hard drives, in my old computer, are still fine.. and?.. they have all my 'stuff' on them, so I'd like to transfer that 'stuff' to my new computer, once it arrives.

What I need to know is, is there any way that I can retrieve/transfer the data from those drives, without actually installing each one as a slave drive on the new computer?

To be honest?... call me crazy, but I'd kinda like to leave the 'insides' of the new computer alone for awhile... that is, if I can help it...

So... I realize what I'm asking may not be possible, but if anyone has any ideas about how I can do this, I'd very much appreciate it...

Thanks, in advance!

© Copyright 2005 Vicky L. Raynes - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2005-02-07 03:05 PM

uhm... sorry, just baffled me for a sec... the first thing i do when i get a new computer is open it up... lol, kinda like looking under the hood of a new car. (plus, i'm rarely happy with everything inside & usually pluck out the modem [probably won't have to on my next computer!] & stick in a new sound card.)

there are several ways, but none that i know of are as practical as just connecting them to your new comp and transferring that way.

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 2005-02-07 03:08 PM

btw - congrats on the new 'puter, Virgil, though not on the circumstances that precipitated your purchase!
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2005-02-07 03:15 PM

If you don't want to physical install each hard drive in the new computer, there are ways around that, but they do cost something: usb/firewire enclosures.  Just open the little box, pop the drive in, close the little box, plug the usb/firewire cord in, and presto!
vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
4 posted 2005-02-07 03:22 PM

LOL... I know what ya mean, Christopher... and a part of me DOES wanna 'look under the hood'... and, honestly?... it probably won't take me as long to be comfortable with it as I'm thinking it might.

I just don't have a LOT of experience with the hardware end of computers.. I helped with the rebuild of my old one, and learned a lot that way... and I've taken parts out of another old one... partly just to see what, exactly, they were... and partly to find out what was attached to what... LOL

but to open up a brand new, untouched computer, and then start hooking up stuff in there?... that's going to be a big step for me... yanno?

but anyway... I kinda figured that was the answer I'd get... and I'm sure that, once I actually have the computer, and find that comfort zone (which shouldn't take long) that I'll go ahead and hook up those drives, and do the transfers...  

However... depending on how things look in there?.. I might be back for some guidance when the time comes...

Thanks for the help, my friend...

OH...and thanks for the congrats too!...

I appreciate it!

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
5 posted 2005-02-07 03:25 PM

"Just open the little box, pop the drive in, close the little box, plug the usb/firewire cord in, and presto!"

you make it sound sooo simple!.. and I know.. I'm being overprotective of my new 'toy'...  okay... I'm probably being downright paranoid!...and I don't even HAVE it yet... LOL

Thanks, Ali...

I CAN do this... grin

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
6 posted 2005-02-07 03:27 PM

OH..and Ali?...

When you say that those alternatives cost something?... how much 'something' are we talking about?...  Just curious...

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
7 posted 2005-02-07 03:49 PM

They're not that much, Vic ...

Google search for usb hard drive enclosure

If you can buy them locally, take one of the drives with you (gently, of course) to make sure you get a compatible model.

Congrats on the Dell. I have three of their computers now and haven't been "too" dissatisfied with any of them.

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
8 posted 2005-02-07 03:51 PM

Thanks for the search link, Ron... AND for the congrats!

Glad to hear that you've been relatively satisfied with your Dells...

I can't wait to get mine.  The estimated shipping date is this Thursday, the 10th.. and once it ships, it will be another 3 to 5 days...

so... I'm looking at about a week or so...

but I want it NOW!... LOL

Anyway... thanks again!

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

9 posted 2005-02-07 06:00 PM

*chuckle*

Vic? Twist has me almost talked into a new one too. I dunno why...but I just like new pc's. Laughing.

I don't know anything about 'em either, I just want a black one.

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
10 posted 2005-02-07 06:03 PM

K?...

Mine IS black...grin...

Was trying to post a link, so you could see... but?... it's not working...

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
11 posted 2005-02-07 06:10 PM

Okay... trying again...

My Computer!!  

That's my new 'baby'... except the deal was a bit different.. instead of a free upgrade to a cd burner, the offer included a free upgrade to an 80 gig hard drive (from 40 gig) and free upgrade to 512 RAM (from 256)... and I added a floppy drive...

and now?.. I just want to TOUCH it!... LOL

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

12 posted 2005-02-07 06:17 PM

nodding here

very <i>nice</i>...except? tsk...I want a cool little flat screen thingie.

(I told the hubby to have fun during carnival--I'll have fun with the income tax return. )

Now if I can only figure out how to delete all these breasts off of my digital camera...

smile

and?

Microsoft has put a whole new spin on "window" shopping, eh?

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

13 posted 2005-02-07 06:18 PM

and see?

why didn't my italics italicize?

(laughing)

See? I need a new pc.

This one's broken.

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
14 posted 2005-02-07 06:24 PM

lmao...that must be it!... grin

actually?.. I had forgotten that Ron has html disabled in this forum...

You have to use the UBB Coding instead...

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
15 posted 2005-02-07 06:27 PM

Oh..and?...

I'd LOVE to have a flat screen too... AND a cd-rw...and a dvd-rw... etc, etc... LOL

but I had to settle for what my brother and I could pull off right now...

and this works for me... smile

OH..and I checked the status of the order?..and it says it's been built and tested and is in the 'boxing' stage..

sooooo... soon?...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

16 posted 2005-02-07 06:32 PM

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It's broken I tell ya!

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
17 posted 2005-02-07 06:35 PM

well, of course it is...

and you NEED a new one...

grin

I've missed you, lady...

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Tech Talk » Geek Stuff » Transferring Data from a Non-working Computer

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary