navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #25 » Fever
Open Poetry #25
Post A Reply Post New Topic Fever Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space

0 posted 2003-04-11 10:58 PM

There is clarity
in muddled thoughts
of fever yes?
Its dizzy walk
beautiful regression
to days of first step
thoughts slow in crawl
no room for pine
in instinct and
motor skill
I am as child
wide eyed and free
I am in fevered
moments, me

[This message has been edited by Aenimal (04-11-2003 10:58 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 raphael giuffrida - All Rights Reserved
littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
1 posted 2003-04-11 11:11 PM

OMG - this is YOU - I am truly taken aback by this - clarity yes - and YOU - yes

*listen:  when I was a child . . . I had a fever - my hands felt just like two balloons . . .
now I've got that fever once again - I cant explain - you would not understand - this is not how I am . . .*

Sorry - that came to mind . . .

This is it!  Pure introspection and clarity - I am keeping this one - hehehe I keep all of them -
I love this - is amazing writing - as always
(even though my interpretations are ALWAYS off)  
Always be YOU . . .   Sue xxoo  

I am as child
wide eyed and free
I am in fevered
moments, me

[This message has been edited by littlewing (04-12-2003 03:58 AM).]

wranx
Member Elite
since 2002-06-07
Posts 3689
Moved from a shack to a barn
2 posted 2003-04-12 12:18 PM

Ah! Now this is what like to see from you.
The introspection, the understanding of circumstance.

Yes, a very good write

dreambuilder
since 2003-03-23
Posts 319
caddyshack
3 posted 2003-04-12 12:30 PM

It would sound as though the time alone during a period of illness provides you the solace to retreat from the world around you.
Quiet introspection can be the sweetest indulgence one can afford themselves.

Peace be with you friend & nice to see you sharing the treasures you find during such times. Look forward to more from you

Jason Lyle
since 2003-02-07
Posts 1438
With my darkling
4 posted 2003-04-12 01:06 AM

Clarity found in detachment, cool write
Jason

Bill Charles
Member Patricius
since 2000-07-11
Posts 10619
highways, & byways, for now
5 posted 2003-04-12 01:11 AM

Aenimal - this fever is well written...

BC

Edder
since 2003-04-02
Posts 671

6 posted 2003-04-12 01:43 AM

"There is clarity in muddled thoughts of fever yes?" in you my friend, yes. well done
LUV_R_GIRL2379
since 2003-04-09
Posts 42

7 posted 2003-04-12 02:28 AM

"i am as a child wide eyed and free,
i am in fevered moments,me" i loved this line! truly amazing poem! keep up the good work!

passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
8 posted 2003-04-12 02:44 AM

a beautiful regression it is
Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

9 posted 2003-04-12 05:39 AM

Hey Raph...

I've edited my critique - if you want to know the full kapow-original, mail and let me know m'friend - I'll send it to you...

The gist: Recently, I've noticed a trend toward omitting articles and plurals and whathaveyou from poems...while I can see the appeal - it does, after all, seem somehow more poetic - I believe it's a risky thing...

Due to my decision to edit this crit, I'm going to use just one piece from your poem as an example of what I mean, which happens to be my favourite part of the poem...

'I am as child
wide eyed and free
I am in fevered
moments, me'

If you made the first line 'I am as child' a proper, grammatical sentence, ie 'I am as a child' it actually serves to highlight the stand-out effect that the last two lines have...

'I am as child' and 'I am in fevered moments, me' are repetitious in terms of their structure. By omitting the article 'a' in the first line it looks a little like you're trying to be poetical...a little forced. However, the last line - flows beautifully...

and that effortless flow is accentuated by removing the forced poetic from the 'I am as child' and making it grammatically correct...

now that may not make any sense because I am ridiculously tired...lol...and I think my conversational skills now resemble those of a three year old with a large, open mouthful of banana...

hugs you

later

K

[This message has been edited by Severn (04-12-2003 08:22 AM).]

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

10 posted 2003-04-12 12:04 PM

Now normally, I am not one to go worrying about articles, I tend to add or discard them depending on the meter I am attempting to achieve. (As per a suggestion made to me once by Nan in the workshop--wish I had the link, but I am half asleep m'self) and no, I'm not one to follow direction or even kind hearted suggestion blindly, so I kept this in mind as I read some of the classics, and I find I agree with Nan, and I think either way can work--as long as the meter falls in line to contiue the flow.

I do agree that in the case of the Kamla'
s questioned stanza however, adding the "a" would help balance the flow of meter--IF it were the opening stanza  (sometimes I drum the words out with my fingers--tain't scientific but it works for me)but I LIKE the neat structured rhyme ending of this. I think that in the context, the change of meter helped provide the impact, and the did not feel it forced whatsoever--in fact, the verse ends with a sort of whimsy that I felt emphasizes the point of being a child with a clarity of some gaity, and helps to lighten the darker intrsospection of this verse.

In short, although I did not read Kamla's original critique, I think I agree with your apparent decision to keep the article "a" omitted--it is after all, the decision of the author, and in this case, since it is NOT a formal style of poetry, a situation of poetic license.

And I know that quibbling over one letter seems silly to others, but I have edited my own poetry simply delete a comma...and...winks to Kamla...who helped me overcome the a certain bad habit...that sticks around from time to time...ad infinitum ad nauseum K ? The dreaded ellipsis addiction!

Any how, it's great to see two of my favorite poets together here. (Raph, at least she critiques YOU--heh heh.)

to all. Peace-out poet people. (nod to Kamla...note the alliteration?) bwahahahahaha...

Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
11 posted 2003-04-12 01:23 PM

Thanks Sue, guess there is that comfortably numb vibe to it

What Ed you don't like my self pitied spewings too? grin

Thanks dreambuilder always appreciate your comments

Jason yes detachment sometimes seems to be the answer

Thanks Bill appreciate it

Thanks Edder kind words

Thanks Luv R Girl glad you like them

Dixie ah it is it is

In answer to Kamla and Karen:

Kamla I've emailed you and yes please send it over. What was all the fuss about I went to bed early with fever and missed all the fun! I've always welcomed your honesty and my critique message does read Honesty, however brutal. That said let me first say that I completely agree with what you are saying, however Karen's got me pegged. She knows me too well. On the surface it does look poetically forced, however in keeping with the fevered theme I left it as is, to achieve exactly what Karen spoke of in her reply. A sense of whimsy, it is afterall a fevered write and therefore I felt the need for a loose and light ending thus the rhyme (which you know I hate writing)to give it a childlike, nursery rhyme effect. Ok forgive me if this reply isn't clear I really do have a fever and my thought process is muddled so I'm off to bed again..

Patricia
Member Elite
since 2003-04-06
Posts 2160
Missouri
12 posted 2003-04-12 02:01 PM

I have to say the song, "Comfortably Numb" (one of responses you received quoted lines from this song) by Pink Floyd did come to my mind as well.   Oh, but, you sir are a master of the word.

I love this poem you see
because of my journey
to find the me
I should be.

-Patricia

WhiteRose
Member Elite
since 2002-07-23
Posts 3208
somebody's dungeon
13 posted 2003-04-12 02:21 PM

I am as child
wide eyed and free
I am in fevered
moments, me

Sensational description.

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

14 posted 2003-04-12 05:08 PM

Raph - well I've emailed the original hon and then you can see the whole picture of what I'm saying...

Karen, ah Karen Karen Karen...grumble. I need to do mean things to your poetry too...lol. Have to confess I wasn't thinking meter...nope, not meter. In fact - meter and I don't get on very well as you know well

Quibbling over one letter? Well, I did originally quibble over lots more than that, but that's beside the point...the point is, for me at least, taking care with our poetic license...nothing worse than trying to seem poetic. It's one of the hardest things I think - realising that one can seem forced in freeverse as well. I think that applies to the writers of good freeverse mostly, who experiment with style etc.

Um, I'm actually going to commit more time to critiquing now (although, don't take my word on it, that might STILL not eventuate) so you better watch out Karen. I have your stuff marked honey...MARKED!

Huggles to both of you crazy kids..

K

(Alliteration? What alliteration - I'm in alliteration denial...)

Etain
since 2003-02-22
Posts 92
The moon...
15 posted 2003-04-12 05:09 PM

Yes, yes, freedom in your words, I like them.
Beautiful.
Warm hugs,
Etain.

Gina Culliney
since 2003-03-08
Posts 170

16 posted 2003-04-12 05:28 PM

clear and precise writing. wonderful comparasions of fever, thoughts, and child emotions.  Beautiful descriptive flow.
Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
17 posted 2003-04-12 05:41 PM

This was surprisingly lucid for fever dreams, however I like the air of detachment that came through the whole poem.
Kethry

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

vandana
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Patricius
since 1999-10-22
Posts 10463
USA
18 posted 2003-04-12 07:00 PM

enjoy your read
Aenimal
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-11-18
Posts 7350
the ass-end of space
19 posted 2003-04-13 03:43 PM

Thanks Patricia, welcome to PIP and thanks for the incredibly kind words

Thanks WhiteRose though it seems to have caused a debate..lol

Read and replied Kamla am I not justified? Am I not merciful..oops slipped into Gladiator for a sec..nevermind

Etain thanks for the words and the hugs

Gina Thanks for the read and the compliments

Kethry ironically I become more lucid when I'm feverish or well..hammered

Vandana thanks

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

20 posted 2003-04-16 02:21 AM

Have yet to reply to your e...I'm not so sure on the justified part - specially not when you're thinking purely in terms of technique...

a short incapicity won't convince me Sir!

I'll get back to you soon I promise..

K

silvergriffinfire
since 2003-03-13
Posts 21
middle of nowhere
21 posted 2003-04-18 08:32 PM

love it, but now I need a fever dream!

Descendus Averno Facillis Est

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #25 » Fever

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary