navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Training Day
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Training Day Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley

0 posted 2003-01-16 08:11 PM

Well! Today some of us at work got to go to a class! The morning was spent in a review of Word and the afternoon in an intermediate Excel class.

Usually I love this kind of thing. But the instructor's voice nearly drove me screaming from the room! She was shrill and loud and by the end of the day I had a headache.

Tomorrow the rest of our group will spend the day with her and we made a pact not to warn them (we're so evil)! Next week we have a class in Access and it's possible we may have this same instructor. We are asked to rate her.

What do I say? I've always been a wuss about making waves - but I also feel the company needs to know the truth about her. What's a nice way to say 'shriek less loudly'?

Sigh

© Copyright 2003 Poet deVine - All Rights Reserved
Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

1 posted 2003-01-16 10:05 PM

Well, I don't know if there is a way to say it that would be perceived as "nice", particularly by the instructor, but I'm sure you would always word things in a polite way, Sharon. Just be honest. Maybe this person really isn't cut out to be an instructor if her voice is so annoying.

Those forms are usually anonymous so at least you don't have to fear retribution of any sort.

Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
2 posted 2003-01-16 11:33 PM

anonymity is an illusion

pick your fights sharon.  save your political capital for something that will benefit you.  know what I mean?

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
3 posted 2003-01-17 12:04 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I am leaning towards not saying anything. It would mean she would be in trouble I guess.

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
4 posted 2003-01-17 12:58 PM

Chances are good the shrillness of her voice is at least partially a result of the volume, and chances are even better that the volume is artificial. Instructors are constantly being told to speak louder, usually by someone sitting directly under an air vent. If the class is small enough to be conversational, I would take her aside and admit you are sensitive to high volume. I suspect she would actually appreciate not feeling like she has yell for six or seven hours.

On the other hand, if your company is willing to pay expenses, I might be able to recommend someone with a bit of experience teaching Access.  

EagleOne
Member Elite
since 2000-03-07
Posts 2829
Between a laugh and a tear...
5 posted 2003-01-17 01:19 AM

If you don’t know there is a problem you can’t fix it!

I deliver various training programs and from my point of view I always appreciate feedback from the participants, it all helps me to be better at my job. I think most, but not all, trainers are from the same school of thought. I agree with Ron, find a quiet moment to one side and be honest in your appraisal.  

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
6 posted 2003-01-17 03:44 AM

Well, Ron..as much as I would love to have you teach me Access, my company is probably the cheapest employer in the world!! For instance, they don't buy hardware or software until we get the best deal on it..that means when it's going out of style! We are still working with PhotoImpact 4!

Thanks for the offer though. I am sure our group would prefer YOU. (Can you handle 12 women at one time?)

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
7 posted 2003-01-17 07:53 AM

Hm... I know someone who's using PhotoImpact 4 - "It works" was the comment, wasn't it?....
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Training Day

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary