navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Reality TV
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Reality TV Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania

0 posted 2003-01-14 12:54 PM

Reality TV shows? is it just me or are they getting a bit out of hand? They seem to just throw out any old show anymore and call it reality TV.

I happen to see previews for that new one Joe Millionaire, and I have to say that it seems so shallow. All the girls think this poor sap is rich then at the very end they find out that he's not!

What will be next?

© Copyright 2003 J.B - All Rights Reserved
Opeth
since 2001-12-13
Posts 1543
The Ravines
1 posted 2003-01-14 08:15 AM

I agree with you 100%

"Shallow" ~ says it all.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
2 posted 2003-01-14 08:55 AM

They are doing a reality 'Beverly Hillbillies'...a poor family is being placed in a house in Beverly Hills....they are doing a show where the heirs to a fortune have to do stunts and tests to stay in the will of their rich relative...they're doing a show where they scare people to death to get their reaction (I've seen a preview of this and if it was me? I'd sue them!).

So is the public hungry for this? Did Survivor start it? If we don't watch will they go away!! What's so real about a manipulated situation?

Real is watching your uncle Bob sit in his underwear watching the Bears game on Sunday.

I happened to like 'Amazing Race'...because that kind of situation happens..you travel with someone and make decisions together and sometimes you get lost.

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
3 posted 2003-01-14 09:58 AM

Opeth, yes it is shallow.

Poet deVine,

quote:
Real is watching your uncle Bob sit in his underwear watching the Bears game on Sunday.

ROFL don't worry I'm sure we will see that on TV next. hahah matter of fact I remember watching somewhere where they were going to film real people in their home doing what they do. hahaha

I think Survivor did start it, however before that I use to watch on the Discovery channel the ECHO Challenge.  Were people all over the world go on this 300 mile race.

'Beverly Hillbillies'? now that is just plain sad and wrong.  

I wonder what the contract would be for the show where they try to scare you to death? I wouldn't sign it!

I know there is a new show out I think called something like 'Meet the Parents' I am not sure if it is called that.  But, this guy dates a bunch of these girls and the parents decided weather or not they like them, and they video tape these girls without them knowing, and some of the have to take lie detector tests.  Personally, it's hard enough meeting someones parents for the first time, I can't imagine being under a microscope like that!

In a nut shell, when the public gets tired of seeing it, I think the shows will hopefully stop.

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
4 posted 2003-01-14 10:45 AM

I used to watch TV - Now I choose a movie now and then to put into my DVD player... My choice... My time...

What's entertaining about watching people risk their lives (usually sans much clothing for entertainment purposes) in very dangerous situations just for shock value?... I think not...

I'd be tempted to take recourse as well, PdV - and that's very unlike me.

alterego
since 2002-02-23
Posts 113
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 posted 2003-01-14 01:03 PM

I watched the first "Survivor" show - until that fat creep who won started running around in the buff - that did it for me.  I watched the final episode just to see who won, but I haven't watched ONE reality show since then.

Reality bites anyways.  I'll stick to my 'soaps' and Trekkie stuff, thank you!

Sheila

Create something infinite today - Smile!!!

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
6 posted 2003-01-14 01:34 PM

I think reality TV shows will likely vanish when they get to the point where it's no longer  worth watching.

TV isn't about reality - it's about fantasy.  Taking the most attractive, most capable people and placing them in an awkward situation has nothing to do with reality.  The word "reality" is eventually going to defeat its own genre - if we have things like, watching people in their own homes, eventually it will become less desirable to us.

If reality was really what we were interested in to begin with, would we bother watching TV at all?

brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
7 posted 2003-01-14 02:38 PM

personally i think that "survivor" was just the next step, it was just the next generation of a gameshow. Include a large sum of money and it will motivate people to take part in this. It is should be such a big shock that television has come to this.
Read Running Man (not the film) the main character is motivated to take part in a real life gladitor competition for money for an operation for his daughter.
David Croeneberg's Videodrome also tapped into our attitudes towards the reality of television.

Soap opera's create a hyper realistic world, they become part of our culture. We are voyeurs and tv is our window.

I mean look at Jackass, they made a movie of it. Or the Osbournes?  

I think that there will always be a forum for real life tv in our society, its not a new thing. What about documentaries? Some of these, especially in the early days of film were the same kind of controlled/false reality.  

In many ways "Nanook of the North" started it all.

Its just these days it has a structured format, a langauge of its own.  

Who knows there may even be a PIPworld in a few years?
"Real Poets On line"

Any plans for that, Ron? LOL

watched from the wings as the scenes were replayed we saw ourselves now as we never have seen" ian curtis

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
8 posted 2003-01-14 03:40 PM

You guys are right! It is not a new thing, but the shows are getting more and more "out" there.  Actually, if you think about it, even on the internet you can get "real" now all you have to do is turn your webcam on all day and have people watch you pick your nose if you want.
brian madden
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 4374
ireland
9 posted 2003-01-14 04:07 PM

Darn, thanks Miah didn't realise i left the webcam on. LOL

watched from the wings as the scenes were replayed we saw ourselves now as we never have seen" ian curtis

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

10 posted 2003-01-14 05:24 PM

The Osbournes, I love.  But that probably has to do with the redhead.     
Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
11 posted 2003-01-14 06:24 PM

ROFL Brian!!

Duncan, I too like the Osbournes, I don't know why but I sometimes watch them.  I guess because its interesting to watch poor Ozzy.

Poet deVine
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-26
Posts 22612
Hurricane Alley
12 posted 2003-01-14 07:10 PM

The first reality show that I remember was 'the Louds' (that's the family last name not the decibel level). It was on PBS and was highly rated. And it was on over 20 years ago!
Jaime
Registered
Posts 250

13 posted 2003-01-18 04:31 PM

I don't watch much tv at all so I honestly don't know much about the "reality" craze other than what I hear on the way to school in the morning (the only time I listen to the radio). So my knowledge of it isn't very much... but shallow definitely comes to mind.

People just like drama.. I mean has anyone seen The Real World on MTV? I've watched it a few times and I think the criteria for being on the show is to be - attractive, stupid, and horny. Then there's bound to be plenty of sex, fights, and.. hmm.. more fights. Yay!!

Umm.. no.

Thank you, Comedy Central re-runs. Thank you, "Will & Grace" and "The Simpsons". Thank you, History Channel specials. Die, Die, Die "Trading Spaces".

I believe that's all for now.

Shiva went on break now look at how much it's gonna take to make this place a space where we can breathe.

[This message has been edited by Jaime (01-18-2003 04:32 PM).]

Miah
since 2002-08-26
Posts 1062
Pennsylvania
14 posted 2003-01-18 11:53 PM

Jaime, I agree with you, I noticed that Real World has become a show about sex starved people that happen to just be really good looking. I guess if they had a show on people that always got along, and were ugly as heck, then nobody would want to watch. hahah
neveah5
since 2002-11-22
Posts 197
Ohio
15 posted 2003-01-20 05:34 PM

The Real World use to be a pretty decent show..I cant remember which season it became just plain trashy. I think they slowly ran that show into a brick wall. Its not goin anywhere anymore.
Theres a show called High school reunion i think. where all these people come back for their 10 year reunion and cause a lot of drama. and the mole with famous people..not sure what the point of that one is.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Reality TV

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary