navwin » Discussion » The Alley » I've exploded
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic I've exploded Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
LCBS
since 2001-11-29
Posts 532
Connecticut

0 posted 2002-08-13 10:25 PM

Lately more and more I have found myself becoming a responsible young adult.  At times this is a very scary idea for me to handle, but I feel that I handle it with grace and style (most of the time!).

However it seems to me that no one else sees this new adult.  The same old stereotypes that have been slapped on teenagers everywhere seem to haunt me religously.  Allow me to tell you about my life, and this is not meant to be a brag, I get straight A's in school, I'm president of our Mayor's Committee on Youth, I work 30 hours a week, I am treasurer of Catholic Youth Ministry, and I am a member of every community service club at my school.  Now why is it, WHY IS IT, that I am nothing but a teenager in the eyes of everyone else?????  There is so much more to me than that...and frankly, I'm about to explode!  

****BANG*****

~Lisa

© Copyright 2002 Lisa Bednarz - All Rights Reserved
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
1 posted 2002-08-14 12:25 PM

A prophet hath no honor in his own country.

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

2 posted 2002-08-14 02:06 AM

I feel the same way and I ain't no teenager...lol.  Ignore or humor them...your choice!
Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
3 posted 2002-08-14 07:26 AM

Let's see [aside from laughing at Duncan's comment] I will guess you're 17?  Oh I so want to refrain from what I am going to say, but...

the steps you are taking with all of your activities will be behind you shortly.  As will your Teen years.  You will be thrust [you have no choice, actually] into the adult world, where you will be ultimately responsible for ALL decisions, with no one to blame but the person who looks back at you in the mirror.

Yikes!

Now.  Let's turn it around.  My parents [bless their hearts] treated me like a young adult from the time I could tie my shoelaces.  I virtually had no "teen time".  And this was not their fault.  Even the "how to raise your kid" books way back then were far from perfect, just as each child is an individual.  It seems to me that you have given us your reasons for why you should be treated as an adult [a lot of responsibilities] but you didn't say what was being done that makes you feel as if you are not being treated like an adult [an option you won't have, soon.]

So, what's going on that makes you believe otherwise?  Inquiring minds want to know!

LCBS
since 2001-11-29
Posts 532
Connecticut
4 posted 2002-08-14 01:20 PM

Sunshine, I have to go to work now, when I get home I will tell you all about it...

~Lisa

Dark Enchantress
since 1999-07-27
Posts 1258
meet Morgana
5 posted 2002-08-15 11:46 PM

You know I get those silly stereotypes all the time and I just laugh at them. Sometimes it pisses me off, but it's more fun to just sit back and laugh at stupidity. And really that's all it is.. people being too numb and lazy to think beyond surfaces and images.

Now I don't have all the shimmer you do but I am constantly told of how mature, deep, intelligent, blah, blah, blah I am.. and yet I still get people treating me like I'm 12 and/or have nothing to bring to the table.

The only person you have to prove anything to is yourself. Along the way the right people will respect you and it will be for your voice, not your age.

And the rest?

Screw'em.

"you don't need one of these to let me inside of you" T.A.

[This message has been edited by Dark Enchantress (08-15-2002 11:48 PM).]

Moon Dust
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 1999-06-11
Posts 2177
Skelmersdale, UK
6 posted 2002-08-22 08:00 PM

I have a friend who is 2 years younger than me and yet she is way more mature. go figure but I would enjoy your teenage years while you can. They may not be the best time of your life but you sure can't get them back. I miss everybody taking reponisbillity for me.

If your afraid of the dark, then why did you come?

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
7 posted 2002-08-22 11:53 PM

You'll understand better when you grow up..

Now I'm gonna go run and hide!!!!!!

LCBS
since 2001-11-29
Posts 532
Connecticut
8 posted 2002-08-29 11:53 PM

nah Deer, too tired to attack you now...

Sorry I forgot about this thread for a while...busy week!

MidnightSon
since 2002-05-15
Posts 312
between the gutter & the stars
9 posted 2002-09-01 04:20 PM

true enough; enjoy those teen years while they last. if i could put off growing up a little longer, i would.

but i feel ya. people tell me i'm mature and that my thoughts are ahead of my age and that i'm wise beyond my years... and i guess it's true sometimes. but the only people that treat me like a 10 year old are the people that should be seeing me grow up right under their nose.
but i think my parents resent the fact that i can think for myself...they choose to ignore that fact and proceed to think for me.
so i feel ya.
and all i can say is keep on keepin on. cause one day you'll make it somewhere and you can throw it in everyone's face.
even if that seems a little childish.

it's our struggle for identity that leaves us all unknown

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » I've exploded

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary