navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Georgia
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Georgia Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville

0 posted 2008-08-09 04:29 PM

What, if anything, do you think the US is going to do to help it’s ally Georgia?

© Copyright 2008 Grinch - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2008-08-09 05:17 PM

Whatever we do, you can be sure we will be castigated for interfering....or for not doing anything. So what's new?
Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
2 posted 2008-08-09 05:52 PM

That’s probably true Mike given the position the US finds itself in.

Arming Georgia and courting them as a staunch US ally means that if they do nothing they send a message to the world that they’re only fair-weather friends. While directly squaring up to Russia to help their ally in Russia’s own backyard would be political, and potentially military, suicide.

Personally I don’t think there’s a lot the US can do, it’s a lose\lose situation for the US and a win\win scenario for Russia who’ve been itching to flex their military muscles and put the fear of god into the ex-soviet states since the US recognised the independence of Kosovo.

MOCindy
since 2008-07-30
Posts 73

3 posted 2008-08-09 09:06 PM

not ready yet.

JenniferMaxwell
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

4 posted 2008-08-11 09:27 AM

Not as up to speed as I should be on this. Anyway, a little background info for those who might be in the same boat.
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=9791

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
5 posted 2008-08-11 07:55 PM

I think it’s an important turning point in world affairs Jen.

Russia, who’ve been quietly exploiting their natural resources to rebuild their economy since the end of the cold war, while also building significant political and financial bridges with their European neighbours, seem poised to re-establish themselves as a super-power.

The situation in Georgia is complex, the oil pipeline plays a part, but maybe only a small part, Russia has out capitalised the west in that department, it already has the oil and gas market to Europe sewn up. The west’s insistence on nurturing pro-western  governments and the insistence of the US to site missiles in those countries on the very doorstep of Russia probably played a bigger part. I mean how world America react if Russia attempted to site missiles in a country bordering the US? For arguments sake say.. Cuba?.

I think the west only has one option, to sit back and watch the re-emergence of a super-power and work out what part they played in that re-emergence. At best they can throw around a couple of half-hearted ideals, like “you shouldn’t invade a sovereign nation” but that’s unlikely to carry much weight while the people shouting it are busy trudging through half of Afghanistan and Iraq.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
6 posted 2008-08-11 08:08 PM

I wouldn't worry about it, Grinch. These are the exact things the United Nations was created to handle. Surely they will take care of it...
JenniferMaxwell
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

7 posted 2008-08-11 10:04 PM

Missile defense shield, several thousand US National Guard troops, US/Israel sale of weapons, etc., etc. - pieces of the puzzle are coming together a little. Think you’re right, Grinch, our options are limited, we’re tangled in our own web and for sure, we’ve lost the moral high ground.

Why do you say you think the UN will take care of it, Balladeer?

MOCindy, just so I won’t misunderstand, the point you were trying to make by posting those pics was what?

[This message has been edited by JenniferMaxwell (08-11-2008 10:42 PM).]

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
8 posted 2008-08-12 12:20 PM

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MDcwY2I4MjhjMTc0Y2Y4ZmJmMWNmNzJlOTA0Y2MxYjg=

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/11/AR2008081102156.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Grinch
Member Elite
since 2005-12-31
Posts 2929
Whoville
9 posted 2008-08-12 01:26 PM

quote:
I wouldn't worry about it, Grinch. These are the exact things the United Nations was created to handle. Surely they will take care of it...

Of course they won’t.

The UN is critically flawed - always has been and always will be until some bright spark decides to  abolish the five permanent member state’s right to veto any resolution they don’t like.

The UN is a good idea, on the whole it reaches the right conclusions but is hamstrung because China, France, Russia, the United Kingdom and the United States have the ability to scupper even their best laid plans.

Russia and Georgia may be debated, a decision (resolution) will probably be pushed through by the US and UK, then when put to the vote China will abstain and Russia will exercise it’s veto.

[This message has been edited by Grinch (08-12-2008 03:59 PM).]

JenniferMaxwell
Member Elite
since 2006-09-14
Posts 2423

10 posted 2008-08-12 09:09 PM

Interesting articles, Huan Yi, thanks for the links.
Here’s a couple more that I found to be real eye-openers.
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/Flash.aspx/151211
http://www.usacc.org/content.php?type=page&id=2&chi=5&par=3

As I said, way behind in my reading on the topic so if I ask a question with an answer everyone knows but me, please forgive me.
My question is, are there still American troops in Georgia? I know several thousand were sent over for war games in July but I’ve  read conflicting reports as to whether they all came back. Does anyone know? And, there is some question whether or not there are American mercs, Blackwater, Dyncorp, whatever, there now. Anyone read anything credible on that? Thanks.

Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
11 posted 2008-08-12 09:44 PM

Absolutely right, Grinch. On paper the UN was a great idea. In reality, it is what it is...or isn't.
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
12 posted 2008-08-13 02:24 AM

"God is always on the side of the heaviest battalions."

Francois Voltaire

Putin understands that.

The United Nations will have no more success with Russia
in Georgia than the League of Nations had with Japan
in Manchuria.   It’s not a Charlie Brown world.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Georgia

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary