navwin » Discussion » The Alley » And He loved Dogs
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic And He loved Dogs Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan

0 posted 2008-08-10 04:57 PM

Imagine you are a historian
a hundred years from now with an agenda.
What would you write, derived from the facts of his life,
to paint an admiring portrait of Hitler?

This derives from my current reading of:
“Nietzshche In Turin” by Lesley Chamberlain
who begins her preface by saying:  “ This  book
is an attempt to befriend Nietszshe”.

© Copyright 2008 John Pawlik - All Rights Reserved
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

1 posted 2008-08-10 05:36 PM

An interesting and provocative thought.

I think the best I could do would be a psychological reconciliation of sorts, if I were so inclined.

But I'm not.

Bob K
Member Elite
since 2007-11-03
Posts 4208

2 posted 2008-08-15 01:32 AM

Dear Huan Yi,

Befriend Hitler?

Nietzsche is different.  Can't blame him for his admirers any more than you can blame dogs for theirs; and I've always meant to read more of him.  I think Yeats probably spent some time reading him, especially when I go back to the Byzantium poems.

What do you think about the re-reading of Nietzsche?  And Martin Heidegger as well, for that matter, who is probably even more to the point, since he actually personally supported Hitler and was a member, if I remember correctly, of the Nazi Party and yet managed to influence Paul Tillich and Jean Paul Sartre as well, and seems to have been greatly influenced by Kierkegaard.

I notice that we seem to be talking about some very odd figures in these pages recently, who demand to be noticed in more complex ways than the usual straightforwardly good/bad ways of looking at things we tend to be prone to.  Hitler, I pretty much feel is a guy who I can't say many nice things about.  But some of these other issues on the middle east and on Nietzsche etc., these are pretty confusing at times.

BK

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » And He loved Dogs

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary