navwin » Discussion » The Alley » To Spell or Not to Spell...Happy Ron???: )
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic To Spell or Not to Spell...Happy Ron???: ) Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration

0 posted 2000-02-07 03:04 AM

OK.

Call me picky, call me a pain in the ass.

I don't care! I am up to "here" with poor grammar and spelling errors! Typos, small mistakes, (occasional ones,) I can hack. But I am going to go ballistic if I see another title along the lines of: "If Your Going To Be Mine."

Ok, do we know what a contraction is??? Hmm, anyone??? Yes you there. Correct, contracting two words into one, using an apostrophe!

"Your" As in "Your Bike"

"You're" As in "You're in desperate need of going back to school!"

Sigh.

OK, Calm down Christopher. People make mistakes. True. People do make mistakes. You make them, I make them, heck, I've even see Ron make a spelling error or two! But c'mon, this is a repetitive issue! When I look at the first page of one of the Open forums and can count over three titles with such blatant errors...well it IRRITATES me!

When I see this, my hands start shaking and I want to find a way, any way, to correct these errors. Now I suppose I could just talk to the person. But some people get funny when they think you're making fun of them in public. So, in the interest of peace, I do my best to let them slide. (Though I admit that one time I actually tried to see if I could change it! It wouldn't let me of course, but I was desperate!!!)

Anywho- I think I just needed to get that out. I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions on how we might at the least curb this problem.

Poor spelling... Terrible grammar... it's (notice the contraction,) killing me!!

HELP ME!

[This message has been edited by Christopher (edited 02-08-2000).]

© Copyright 2000 C.G. Ward - All Rights Reserved
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
1 posted 2000-02-07 07:02 AM

I'm with you Christopher. Their's not nothing I hate more then when people don't use there contractions properly in there writting.  It just drives me UP A WALL... No what I mean???

Your doing the write thing to bring this up to.  What can we do about it? I'm willing to do post in the workshop what contains all those common mistakes.  Would that help????

[This message has been edited by Nan (edited 02-07-2000).]

Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
2 posted 2000-02-07 07:08 AM

Christopher, it's gonna be OK.  Just calm down, drop the Uzi, and put down that triple Espresso.  We all make mistakes, often in our haste in typing.  Howsoever, mistakes also come about from errors in the cut 'n paste speed method.  Or, it could just be a poor grasp of the English language.

On the flip side, see if the errors are consistant...it might indicate the style of the poet.  WayOutWalt, for example, has a very different view of the English language than do I, but I still relish reading his work.

American English is often taken for granted.  How many people, besides Nan, knows how to spell all them purty 25 cent wurds?  Also, keep in mind that English is one of the hardest languages to learn, much less master.  I'm pretty sure that there are some poets here who are not native English speakers.

But then, beyond that range, we find those who just don't care about careful usage, or may be ignorant of the rules for the language.  By this they hope to be individuals, with unique personalities.  But it's hard to be an individual when everybody else is doing the same thing.  :P

BTW, I agree with you, Chris.  Just wanted to throw out some alternative theories.  

Alicat, the Persnikitty

As I sit here dimly thinking
Watching modem lights a-blinking
Churning out poetic hash.
Lord, in all Your piety,
Help me keep my sanity:
Please don't let the modem crash! --Alicat

Ron
Administrator
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-05-19
Posts 8669
Michigan, US
3 posted 2000-02-07 12:22 PM

Okay, how about an English Workshop to specifically discuss some of the more common errors and how to best correct them? Certainly we could talk about homonyms, but we could also talk about the best ways to use a word processor to do copy & paste. If nothing else, it might give everyone a place to post their pet peeves about English.

Chris, of course, will be the Moderator.  

By the way, you know what is almost as irritating as bad grammar, Chris? Cryptic Titles that have nothing to do with the post!  

Munda
Member Elite
since 1999-10-08
Posts 3544
The Hague, The Netherlands
4 posted 2000-02-07 12:27 PM

Hmm, I see what you mean, but who am I to say anything ? I'm not native English and do my utmost to write proper English. I'm no more than a Dutchie with 4 years of highschool English and what I picked up during my travels. (and here at Passions of course   )
Undoubtedly I make mistakes, but wouldn't mind it at all if someone would e-mail me. In fact I'd be grateful to be given the chance to correct my mistake. On the other hand, I wouldn't appreciate a correction in public. Obviously I didn't make the mistake on purpose.  Write Nan ?  

Munda  

Oops, that was a comma too many ! LOL

Ron you sneaked in while I replied !   That's a great idea, an English Workshop ! I'd be the first to sign up !  

[This message has been edited by Munda (edited 02-07-2000).]

Denise
Member Seraphic
since 1999-08-22
Posts 22648

5 posted 2000-02-07 12:34 PM

I certainly understand your frustration, Christopher. I bothers me too. If you notice someone who is constantly making these types of errors and you wish to bring it to their attention, you could contact them privately by email. I could certainly understand someone not wanting to be corrected publicly. It can cause needless embarrassment to the person to have their mistakes pointed out in that manner. If you need someone's email address perhaps Ron can get that for you. If not, perhaps you can post a message for them to email you and then that way you'll have their email address. I have privately done this many times in the past and it has been greatly appreciated that I didn't say anything publicly. That's my only suggestion! Hope it helps!  

Ron and Munda,  you both snuck in on me...I must be typing very slow today!

Denise

[This message has been edited by dsnyder (edited 02-07-2000).]

Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
6 posted 2000-02-07 01:58 PM

My, my, my!

I come in here to express myself and what happens? I am assaulted by a plethora of veiled reprimands!!!

Nan- I figgered youd be on my side. But...OUCH!  

Ali- Gun down, coffee down the sink, (hiding Mountain Dew behind my back.) I agree! And I think it's usually fairly obvious when it's a matter of someone's personal style, like Walt. (Which BTW was a very good example, LOL) I also understand that sometimes it's just a matter of simple error. Hey, this I understand too! I'm no less human, (though some of my ex's might disagree,) than the next person. I am prone to mistakes myself! I like to think that most of them are typos which I overlook, but hey...I make mistakes too!

As for those who's native language isn't English...umm... Dunno! I know it still bothers me! I understand that people aren't doing it to annoy me. And I understand that like writing, people probably have just as many different reasons for the things they do! BUT, that doesn't mean "I" have to like it!!!

Ron- If you think that might help, then I am ALL for it!!! Heck, I'll even Moderate! (Because, of course, I'M perfect!  ) Perhaps it would help, perhaps not...who know. I suppose at the worst, (assuming you're not just poking fun at me!) That you can always delete it later on down the road if it turns out to be somethign that isn't going to work...

Ron said:
quote:
By the way, you know what is almost as irritating as bad grammar, Chris? Cryptic Titles that have nothing to do with the post!

Ok, ok... point taken...

Munda- Understood! As I said to Ali though...it's just a personal pet peeve. Heck, I even get upset when I see that I've made an error...you wouldn't believe the names I've called myself! As a matter of fact, most of the time when you see that I've edited a post, it's because I've seen one and had to go back and fix it!!! And hey, you teach me Dutch, and I'll teach you English!!!  

Denise- I understand what you're saying too. My concern though, is that despite how I feel about the errors, I'd rather come in here and scream about it, than to possibly discourage someone from writing. I would really hate to think that I made someone feel bad. It takes enough courage, (for those without an overblown ego like mine  ) to simply post their work for the world to see! The last thing they probably need is for some jerk like myself telling them that they need to learn how to spell!

Thanks for putting up with me people, (though barely it seems!)  

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
7 posted 2000-02-07 05:49 PM

Good workshop idea - good choice of moderator - Good plan all around....
Temptress
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-06-15
Posts 7136
Mobile, AL
8 posted 2000-02-08 12:35 PM

I know what you mean, Christopher. It has been a long time since English class for me, so I have probably made the same mistakes recently.
I do have a question for anyone who can answer it though. I thought contractions weren't supposed to be used in poetry. I know there is definetely a rule that they should be avoided in any kind of formal writing.  

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
9 posted 2000-02-08 01:05 AM

Temptress,
Contractions aren't supposed to be used in this strange idea called 'formal writing'. It's a trick to force you to follow rules that anybody who knows writing doesn't follow.

Brad

Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
10 posted 2000-02-08 07:04 AM

Wha'chu talkin' 'bout, Brad?????   

Thanks for the chuckle - so early in the 'a.m.', even...

sweetcollege_girl
since 1999-12-03
Posts 872
just about where I want to be
11 posted 2000-02-08 01:27 PM

So is there going to be an English Workshop, Ron? Can't wait to see it, because like Christopher, bad English is a pet peeve of mine too...I'm getting to be so much like an English teacher, that I'm actually replying about the spelling mistakes!  

I hope the English Workshop..(if there will be one) will help aspiring poets to write better grammar and learn how to spell correctly..(have I messed up on any of mine?) I need to go check a few things...  

stay cool ya'll  

~~Lavada

p.s. I would be glad to help, Chris. If that's ok!  

"For every beauty, there is an eye somewhere to see it.
For every truth, there is an ear somewhere to hear it
For every love, there is a heart somewhere to receive it".--Ivan Panin

[This message has been edited by sweetcollege_girl (edited 02-09-2000).]

Severn
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-07-17
Posts 7704

12 posted 2000-02-08 06:09 PM

Sigh...I hate to do this...but I agree %100.

Yep. Me. Agree.

(Ahh, and last time I checked - you were the only person calling yourself less human...glad to see you've upped your mental image to that of a humanoid now...)

< !signature-->

'Writing sharpens life;
life enriches writing'
Sylvia Plath

[This message has been edited by Severn (edited 02-08-2000).]

Elizabeth
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
13 posted 2000-02-10 06:13 PM

I agree, Christopher! If this ever becomes an actual forum, I also gladly offer to help.

Spelling and grammatical errors drive me absolutely insane! A few I can tolerate, but the "If Your Going to Be Mine" thing, and so on, are what I cannot take. I have seen terrible spelling errors coming repeatedly from the same person, and they make the same mistake every time! Not to mention any names, but I just cannot stand it.

Now Christopher--is this reply typed up correctly? Did I spell everything right? (And yes, I KNOW I'm asking at my own risk here!)

Elizabeth

"He have his goodness now. God forbid I take it from him!"
-The Crucible

suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
14 posted 2000-02-16 09:35 AM

Wal heckfire! *G* Ah cain't evun spel my geographical lokashun korect! LOL
Jake
since 2000-02-17
Posts 1
Severna Park, Maryland
15 posted 2000-02-17 01:06 PM

Hi y'all (from a new guy),

A few thoughts...

I have lesser standards regarding email.  It's something I do quickly and don't always want to spend the time to proofread.  It is usually obvious from the entire text whether the author has poor writing skills or has merely made a mistake.

I do get annoyed when the person correcting a mistake I made also goes so far as to *explain* what I did wrong.

Language (unless you're French [wink]) evolves though, so I don't think we should reflexively reject new usages.  Does anyone really think that it's bad that the usage of "whom" is dying?

What do you all think about Latin plurals?  I still prefer "stadia" over "stadiums", "millennia" over "millenniums", but for some reason "fora" looks kind of strange to me (over forums - a common word here).

Oh well, I look forward to talking with you all in other forums as well.

ps. Would someone explain the substitution characters that you all insert in your messages and that appear in my Preview page, usually when I use a colon?

sweetcollege_girl
since 1999-12-03
Posts 872
just about where I want to be
16 posted 2000-02-17 02:25 PM

Jake: some of the keys, when put together with a colon, makes a smiley faces:

colon colon  

colon )  

colon (  

colon x  

colon capital O  

etc..if you want to know some more, jsut ask!   < !signature-->

"For every beauty, there is an eye somewhere to see it.
For every truth, there is an ear somewhere to hear it
For every love, there is a heart somewhere to receive it".--Ivan Panin

[This message has been edited by sweetcollege_girl (edited 02-17-2000).]

Jannel
since 2000-01-18
Posts 492
Muncie, IN, USA
17 posted 2000-02-27 07:08 PM

Greetings and salutations. I normally spend my time in Dark Passions, but this afternoon, I am lounging around, and seeing all the other fun things here at Passions.

I came across this topic and realized that you were discussing one of my pet peeves. So, I thought I might add my two cents.

The who/whom problem is one we have been discussing in my Greek class.  The prof is having a difficult time teaching us how to use words in Greek, because none of us know how to use them in English.

An English Workshop would be nice, and maybe would help.

Is it possible to make a spell check button available? This still will not help with grammar, but might cut down on the number of inverted letters and the like.

Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
18 posted 2000-02-29 11:09 AM

I kin teach the class? I kin talk good english...and my spellin's impeckable yanno?...How much does it pay?....
Toerag
Member Ascendant
since 1999-07-29
Posts 5622
Ala bam a
19 posted 2000-02-29 03:16 PM

Okay Chris..you're picky and you're a pain in the ass.....Are ya happy now?....LOL
Saxoness
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 1999-07-18
Posts 1102
Texas
20 posted 2000-02-29 04:08 PM

sorry, just trying out the cool faces! Always wanted to know how to do it

"Glory remains unaware of my neglected dwelling where alone
I sing my tearful song which has charms only for me."

-Charles Brugnot

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » To Spell or Not to Spell...Happy Ron???: )

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary