navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Interesting quote or thought
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Interesting quote or thought Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA

0 posted 2006-11-09 03:06 PM

I see much truth in the following quote.
quote:
The Republicans lost and the Democrats won for the same reason -- they distanced themselves from their base.

© Copyright 2006 Pete Rawlings - All Rights Reserved
iliana
Member Patricius
since 2003-12-05
Posts 13434
USA
1 posted 2006-11-09 05:39 PM

Though I think it's an interesting quot, too...I do not agree.  I believe the election was won by cross-over voters who are sick of the corruption in Washington, war-weary (I phrased that politely on purpose), and concerned about there being too much power in one man's hands.  Thank goodness, a leveling of power has been restored!
Paul Wilson
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-07-07
Posts 4711
United States
2 posted 2006-11-09 05:51 PM

Quote by Paul Wilson 11-9-06
_____________________________________________________________________________________
In four to six years what will be the excuse of the newly elected officials xxxx@@@@@
_____________________________________________________________________________________

~~To share my poems with you is to share my heart with you~~
Paul

Ringo
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2003-02-20
Posts 3684
Saluting with misty eyes
3 posted 2006-11-09 07:40 PM

The fact that the opposition party won the majority in the Legislative Branch should not have been a surprise to ANYONE. If you will go back throughout the history of American politics, the exact same thing has happened to almost every 2 term president. During the 6th year elections, the opposition party takes control. It happened to President Clinton.
That is not to say that I liked the fact that it happened, I just knew it would.

You may burn my flag... only after you wrap yourself in it first.
www.myspace.com/mindlesspoet

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
4 posted 2006-11-09 10:12 PM

When you look back on historical trends, usually you can expect a "wave year" once a decade on average. 2006 most likely happens to be that year for this decade, whereas 1994 was for the previous one.

As a proverb reads, "The only constant thing is change!" We serpentine between satisfaction with the shape of things and/or status quo and yearning for change in our system. Ultimately, the American public has fed up with the corruption and scandals the Democratic Party was tainted in in 1994, so the American public made their proclamation heard and the GOP gained a historic 52 Congressional seats and 8 Senate seats that year.

This Tuesday was another story, where the American public were unhappy with a culmination of things, especially the handling of the war in Iraq and more corruption in Congress. So the American public spoke, and the Democrats have picked up between 30-32 Congressional seats (several remain undecided) and 6 Senate seats.

That's just the nature of politics; it often has a way of fluctuating.

Sincerely,
Noah Eaton

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other"

Mother Teresa

JesusChristPose
since 2005-06-21
Posts 777
Pittsburgh, Pa
5 posted 2006-11-09 10:36 PM

~ The cause for the swing in power comes down to two main reasons:

1. An unpopular war in Iraq, linking state politicians to Bush.

2. Numerous recent scandals amongst Republican elected politicians.

"Melvin, the best thing you got going for you is your willingness to humiliate yourself."

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
6 posted 2006-11-09 11:15 PM

What base did the Republicans run from?

I'm not kidding, I'm not sure what the quote is talking about.

Not A Poet
Member Elite
since 1999-11-03
Posts 3885
Oklahoma, USA
7 posted 2006-11-10 09:43 AM

Small government, small spending (especially pork barrel), let the people run their own lives. Damn Brad, that was too easy.
Local Rebel
Member Ascendant
since 1999-12-21
Posts 5767
Southern Abstentia
8 posted 2006-11-10 07:32 PM

I think it's partially true.  It's certainly true that Republicans haven't ACTED as though they are fiscal conservatives other than cutting taxes (for the rich) and touting trickle-down (make that soak-up)  er -- voodoo economic theory.

And it's also true that Democrats fielded a host of social conservative candidates, anti-abortion, pro-gun, this election.

But it's also true that governing majority parties have traditionally been made up of coalitions of diverse interests who compromise in order to hammer out a platform.

To make the thesis statement exclusively though, would be like saying people didn't vote for Reagan they voted against Carter.

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
9 posted 2006-11-10 09:12 PM

Spending increased faster in the last six years than it has in the last 60.

The government is bigger now than it has ever been.

If that's the base, Republicans have been running away from it, it's not running from them.

JesusChristPose
since 2005-06-21
Posts 777
Pittsburgh, Pa
10 posted 2006-11-11 12:20 PM

~ The Republicans needed, and still do, Mr. Gingrich. He is tops. I'd vote for him for president in a heart beat. In fact, it was after he was ousted when the Republican party went "down hill."

"Melvin, the best thing you got going for you is your willingness to humiliate yourself."

Huan Yi
Member Ascendant
since 2004-10-12
Posts 6688
Waukegan
11 posted 2006-11-11 02:10 AM

The elections were won or lost
because of satisfaction or boredom
with the current entertainment.

Juju
Member Elite
since 2003-12-29
Posts 3429
In your dreams
12 posted 2006-11-12 11:50 AM

I came to the reasoning.  

-Juju

-"So you found a girl
Who thinks really deep thougts
What's so amazing about really deep thoughts " Silent all these Years, Tori Amos

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Interesting quote or thought

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary