navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Elections
The Alley
Post A Reply Post New Topic Elections Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea

0 posted 2006-11-13 05:22 PM

quote:
One freedom that defines our way of life is the freedom to choose our leaders at the ballot box. We saw that freedom earlier this week, when millions of Americans went to the polls to cast their votes for a new Congress. Whatever your opinion of the outcome, all Americans can take pride in the example our democracy sets for the world by holding elections even in a time of war.

--George W. Bush

My question: Has there ever been a time after 1789  when elections were suspended in the US?

I know, I know we can always chalk this up to Bush's somewhat lackadaisical view of the language, but this is the second time it has been brought up in the last six years.

Why does the president keep fanning the fires of anxiety?

© Copyright 2006 Brad - All Rights Reserved
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
1 posted 2006-11-13 05:26 PM

Drama sells.
Christopher
Member Rara Avis
since 1999-08-02
Posts 8296
Purgatorial Incarceration
2 posted 2006-11-13 05:26 PM

Can you think of a better time to hold elections?
Alicat
Member Elite
since 1999-05-23
Posts 4094
Coastal Texas
3 posted 2006-11-13 05:53 PM

I think that was President Bush's point, Brad, that we've had over 200 years of consecutive democratic elections in both peace and wartime, and that Americans should take pride in that fact.

As for President Bush's ongoing campaign against the American-English language, here's this little gem, courtesy of our beloved Serenity:
http://www.figarospeech.com/talk-like-bush

Brad
Member Ascendant
since 1999-08-20
Posts 5705
Jejudo, South Korea
4 posted 2006-11-13 05:59 PM

Perhaps, though you said it better.

Maybe you should apply for a job as a speechwriter.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Discussion » The Alley » Elections

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary