navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #19 » Whether Beggar Or A Baron
Open Poetry #19
Post A Reply Post New Topic Whether Beggar Or A Baron Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2002-03-12 05:59 PM

Whether Beggar Or A Baron

Some people long for gold,
and riches by the score.
“Things” seem so important,
some are greedy to the core.

Some long for a faster car,
and a really fancy home,
to travel all around the world,
Paris, Greece, and Rome.

But some would be quite content,
Sitting on a porch in the sun,
sharing love of family
creating memories of fun.

Some long to smell the mountain air,
And know what it’s like to be free,
no oppression, no recession,
have a right to simply be!

Does it all really matter,
when all is said and done?
We meet our maker all the same
Whether beggar or a baron.

The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives.
  ~* Albert Einstein *~

© Copyright 2002 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
hoot_owl_rn
Member Patricius
since 1999-07-05
Posts 10750
Glen Hope, PA USA
1 posted 2002-03-12 06:01 PM

Amen...well said
Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
2 posted 2002-03-12 06:06 PM

(smiles) Wow, this is wonderful, sweet friend, your gorgeous words always touch my heart deeply, I too believe that to be satisfied with the serenity and beauty of life and nature in general is the most relaxing and happiest feeling of all, and all we should ever beg for is to be soaked in the sun! (kiss on cheek) This is wonderful, sweet friend, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Sharon, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!\

Love,
Noah Eaton

Victoria
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Ascendant
since 2000-08-12
Posts 5869

3 posted 2002-03-12 06:18 PM

Does it all really matter,
when all is said and done?
We meet our maker all the same
Whether beggar or a baron.

This is so true Sharon..nicely done hon hugss

~Victoria

Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
4 posted 2002-03-12 06:22 PM

Thank you for sharing this one with me, and "ain't it the truth though?" and what's more you work so hard and you can't even take it with you

The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives.
  ~* Albert Einstein *~

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

5 posted 2002-03-13 12:21 PM

And know what it's like to be free,
have a right to simply be!
==================================

Point me in that direction!!!
and I LOVE those chairs....I fell asleep in one in the middle of six flags LOL
there was a heavenly breeze and the sun was warm and I just let it go....
they are so comfortable...
One on the beach would be more than I could ask for
wisdom write poetess Sharon.

You never knew what I loved in you,
I dont know what you loved in me ...
Maybe the picture of somebody you were hoping I might be.

Jackson Browne

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
6 posted 2002-03-13 12:42 PM

Janet Marie, I just so happen to have two chairs like those   and one here has your name on it any time, and I do mean any time you want to park your behind in it!  I've got the mountains, the beach, and a whole ton of raspberry tea too   thankee girlfriend!

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (03-13-2002 12:44 AM).]

Allan Riverwood
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-01-04
Posts 3502
Winnipeg
7 posted 2002-03-13 01:42 AM

Mysteria:

You bring up a clean topic here.  The poem itself is decent, it's one of those rhymes that co-operates with itself to make a single, solid point... which lies upon the very surface of the poem.  There isn't much to delve into here as far as interperetation of the poem itself goes, but what you bring up... hmm... it's a very discussable point, isn't it?

I'd have to agree that we all have values in our lives, we all have things that we work hard for.  Everyone has a basic freedom to act in a way that they see fit... be it a life of greed, a life of selflessness, or a life of faith and devotion... it all comes from an inner drive to do what we really want to do.  

If you do something for another person, it's because you want to do something for another person.  If you act out of greed, well hey, c'est la vie.  

The really ironic thing is that your poem almost makes a nihilistic point (and I use the term "nihilistic" very loosely).  If you leave out the "meet your maker" thing and stick with the "in the end, nothing matters" part... you result in the idea that life, in the end, is pointless... how you live it has no bearing on the consequence that comes to pass.  Almost dark and despairing, isn't it?

I like the thoughts that you provoke with your poem.  The poem itself is good as well, and it obviously serves its purpose.

Once more, I agree with the ideal you express here.  As a society, we should be far more permissive of how others choose to live their lives.

Thanks for the brainwork.  

~Allan

All images begin in mirrors and end inside our subconsious.
~Genesis P-Orridge, "Thee Reversal of Fate"

Masked Intruder
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 Tours
since 1999-05-23
Posts 1231
Near golden sunsets
8 posted 2002-03-13 01:50 AM

Is that your porch, Sharon?  It's absolutely gorgeous!  I bet the view is spectacular.  My dad and I built a few of those chairs out of pine.  What were they called?  Adirondacks, or something close to that.  I know it's a mountain range, but it just sounds right at the moment.  

I completely followed Allan's train of thought with the slight contradiction in beliefs.  Great topic, methinks!

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
9 posted 2002-03-13 03:27 AM

Allan,
We meet our maker all the same shows a belief in faith which negates any sense of a nihilistic slant on the poem, (in the true sense of the word), but try looking at it this way…that perhaps people’s lives are empty and they feel nothing, because they are using the wrong things to fill it up, just some more food for thought. Where I had shown some faith in the poem (instead of believing in nothing) by meeting “the maker”, I had hoped the distinction was quite clear.  However, you were bang on in your “brainwork” as that is exactly what I was reading about when I wrote this earlier, along with some writings of Buddha and how in turn he had turned faith into a journey or path instead, and back and forth between these two and their influence in war and history.  I am emailing you particular piece I was reading as I don’t think it suitable for all viewers at the site, and hope you find it interesting Allan.  I also am glad you picked up on my message for learning tolerance to accept the ways of the rich and the poor alike. Thanks for your comments by the way.  Oh, and Allan, the nihilists would tell you that how you live your life now has a huge bearing on the future, for the end as they see it would be the beginning   Thanks again.

~* Albert Einstein *~

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
10 posted 2002-03-13 03:50 AM

Masked Intruder ~ Nope, not my porch, but I have a house with a porch, those chairs in the yard, and I do live on a mountain, what's my prize? LOL - I appreciate you reading and I will show you my porch - check you email! LOL
Flutterwings
since 2001-07-10
Posts 288
Maine
11 posted 2002-03-13 11:11 AM

This piece spells *PEACE* *COMFORT *FRIENDSHIP*
I'm on my way and we will sit in those chairs and breath in the invironment and the beauty of God's creation.
We'll be silent and listen to the stillness and feel the breezes as we just veggie out.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! Paradise!!

Savor the moment!

Love and peace, Maggie ((~.~))

Soleil Noir
since 2001-12-19
Posts 688
USA
12 posted 2002-03-13 11:22 AM

First of all I was glad
to see that Allan beat
me to this piece, for I
treasure the times when
I can read his insightful
commentaries on poets'
pieces...

and as for this? Left me
with a piece of my mind
santuaried in a peaceful
spot...

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
13 posted 2002-03-13 02:53 PM

Maggie and Soleil Noir ~ Anytime you gals wish to pull up a chair, I have another, and we can all "shoot the breeze" thank you.
Nan
Administrator
Member Seraphic
since 1999-05-20
Posts 21191
Cape Cod Massachusetts USA
14 posted 2002-03-14 09:02 PM

We are one.. indeed... Interestingly, those who needn't strive for 'more' invariably are the most content.  Nicely said, Sharon...
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
15 posted 2002-03-14 09:27 PM

I'm not abarin' or abeggin'
I mean a bearskin or a bargain.
I need a beer but who's acarin'
'Cause I will get to Heaven, too!

I have no idea in the world where that came from....I have these nonsensical urges

liked the poem, miss

ecrivan
Member Elite
since 2001-12-10
Posts 3923
my own state
16 posted 2002-03-14 10:08 PM

right..it makes no difference..funny I touched on a similar theme..how money eats at family relationships causing discomfort and misunderstanding between the haves and have nots..if only we could all realize that we all end up 6 feet under..wouldn't it be a better place to live..

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
17 posted 2002-03-15 03:17 AM

Nice to see that you are relating to this one, and it is so true that no matter how much money you have - we all end up the same, unless of course you get frozen
suthern
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
18 posted 2002-03-15 05:12 PM

But some would be quite content,
Sitting on a porch in the sun,
sharing love of family
creating memories of fun.

And know what it’s like to be free,
have a right to simply be

I loved the poem before the picture loaded... and love the complete presentation even more. *S* Well written!

ShadowRider
since 2001-07-14
Posts 1038
USA
19 posted 2002-03-15 09:29 PM

Here is where modern life clashes with inner values and serenity:
the collection of tangibles outweight in sooooo many cases
the accumulation of simpler, more valued ones.  You really wrote
an inspired poem in this, and you have a Tip O the Hat from me!
Great job!
tSR

strbbux
Member Elite
since 2001-12-19
Posts 3859

20 posted 2002-03-15 09:32 PM

Mysteria, How very true, we all meet Him and we all leave the earth with nothing. And another message in here is, that the best things in life are free, Great write. floria

Floria

"Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them"
(Oliver Wendell Holmes)

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
21 posted 2002-03-15 11:43 PM

Suthern you are a sweetie you know that right?

Shadowrider ~ I am so glad you enjoyed the content of this poem, and its message.

Floria ~ Isn't it the truth though?  Thanks for reading.

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #19 » Whether Beggar Or A Baron

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary