navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » love is not enough
Poetic Haven
Post A Reply Post New Topic love is not enough Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Tramp Poet
since 2000-01-06
Posts 754
Could Be Anywhere...

0 posted 2003-07-15 03:37 PM

Love Is Not Enough

Since a small child
a belief has been held
that love can conquer all.
Love, sweet love
was the one thing
that would be victorious. glorious.

Nourishing, ever growing...
flowers for no reason
poems for every season.
The quiet touches
in midst of darkness
contented pats while sleeping.

Terrible battles fought
gigantic victories hard won
preserved; she was ever served.
A solid, golden ideal
chiseled in hardest stone
love shall always prevail.

What is one to do
when love has not died,
nor withered, simply lost her bloom.
The ones forever in love
have grown to an aloneness
a closure both recognize.

Oh God, what can be done
when love, sweet love
is no longer triumphant.
When that held dearest
no longer may sustain...
when the poet learns
love is not enough?

~~~~~~~

[This message has been edited by Tramp Poet (07-15-2003 03:38 PM).]

© Copyright 2003 Daniel James Burt - All Rights Reserved
timothysangel1973
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
since 2001-12-03
Posts 1725
Never close enough
1 posted 2003-07-17 01:24 AM

"when love is not enough"

Now, I could go on and on about this (hehe)

I loved the poetry here and you raise a very good question.  Can love be enough?  For some yes, for others...no.

For me...I sure hope so, because I've had tons of everything else, and I'm ready for the good stuff.  
I think the biggest misconception with love is that when you are in love, you think that pain, and certain types of despair are non-exsistant.  Love is a wonderful thing, but with the sweet comes the bitter.  Can love make the icky stuff worth getting through?

I really enjoyed this one  

[This message has been edited by timothysangel1973 (07-17-2003 01:27 AM).]

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
2 posted 2003-07-17 01:20 PM

I think you're right in many ways.  What you describe is true, and it's something which happens, but I personally believe that it is a result of some misconception of love, and not love itself... the battles fought for its sake, the touches and whatnot... if there's one little uncertainty in the midst of it all, then it will grow and grow until it finally destroys love.

I very much enjoyed this poem, I think you've a real knack for descriptive writing.  The second stanza in particular.  "Flowers for no reason."  Heh, isn't that just great?  Love's confusing...

Parasite

Faith is a fine invention
When gentlemen can see
But microscopes are prudent
In an emergency.
~~~Emily Dickinson

PhaerieChild
since 1999-08-30
Posts 1787
Aloha, Oregon
3 posted 2003-07-18 09:21 AM

Dan,
I got your email and then read your poem and you have all the prayers I can send in this regard. Please keep me posted on things. Love and Hugz, Sis

Tramp Poet
since 2000-01-06
Posts 754
Could Be Anywhere...
4 posted 2003-07-22 01:10 PM

Many of y'all have followed my trail of love poetry for this woman...enough to know that
my committment to her was built of stone.
I attempted to do the right thing. Went to counseling, changed my shifts, absolutely faithfull for 15 years, and when she insisted on moving out because she "needed her space" I made a personal deal with my landlord to set her up, pay her rent for a month, pay her deposits, and gave her everything in the house she wanted. The whole time apparently she was playing me for a sap. The sheets were not even cold before her new lover moved in and she committed adultry. She came here yesterday for more of her stuff and admitted to the adultry in front of witness'. At that time I immediately stopped payment on all the checks and informed the landlord she was on her own. I will not pay for the roof over the head of the illegal that is sleeping with my wife.
Bottom line I was played big time...it came totally out of the blue as far as I could see. I thought we were committed for life with tatooed wedding rings, a blood covenant marriage ceremony, 15 years of true love, hundreds of poems, flowers for no reason at all, never a forgotten anniversary or birthday...i could go on and on...ovverwhelmingly out weighing the times i lost my cool and yelled at her...or so i believed and was lead to believe.
Anyway sister, thank you for your prayers,
I need all of them I can get right now...

Daniel

ps: i apologize to y'all here at the forums...i know this is not the appropriate place for this message. Thank you for your  patience, prayers and understanding...

Susan Caldwell
Member Rara Avis
since 2002-12-27
Posts 8348
Florida
5 posted 2003-07-22 03:41 PM

Dear Tramp (love the name),

What can one say?  Nothing ever works out as well as we imagine.  I was divorced after 19 years (I filed).  All I can say is, the poem is beautiful.

Susan C.

wranx
Member Elite
since 2002-06-07
Posts 3689
Moved from a shack to a barn
6 posted 2003-07-23 01:35 AM

"when the poet learns
love is not enough?"

Yep!

~wranx

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » love is not enough

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary