navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Arched Anticipation
Poetic Haven
Post A Reply Post New Topic Arched Anticipation Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

0 posted 2003-05-04 11:22 PM

Arched Anticipation

Looking back in memoired reflect ...  
paused in photographed and poetic retrospect,  
trying to find that infinite moment in time when you
became a part of me. Attempting to define when
your voice became my destination, the same way
your constance became my inspiration.

You've painted my landscape with promises kept.
My perspective now swept with blue waved reverie ...
and autumn crowned mountains majesty.
But long before we walked side by side in the tides,
long before we stood shoulder to shoulder sharing a valley's view,
you had already given me endless horizons and built bridges of
commitment across the distance of the too many miles divide.

It's nearly impossible for me to conceive that it has only been
a year since we first met for a week of friendship's reprieve.
Your quiet resolve proved true when I saw your eyes smile
as we elatedly embraced, dissolving those miles. I knew in
that instant you were the worth that outweighed the wait,
and I wanted to be beside you for more than just awhile.
By definition, that was the first time I held you in my arms ...
though my heart has held you close for much longer.

Spring is now ushered in again, bursting with brilliant bloomed
expectation and petaled promise of the earth in Easter's rebirth.
As I return to a gifted garden still warm with your presence ...
I realize even seasons in change cant compete with the anticipation
I felt with your arrival. Not even butterflies under glass could distract me
from the attraction and connection I felt when watching you in motion.
This anniversary serves to remind of all that's been discovered since we
shared "show me state" landmarks and St. Louis sunsets.

Now I walk again where we once walked as curious tourists in my
own town and I miss you as much as the ocean tides you gave me.
I see the beauty that surrounds me, but you in my view is what truly
astounds me. Your presence left an impression that winter's treason
couldn't reason away. Your absence leaves me lacking expression,
but I want you to know, there are still two arches bending with the
same awed admiration and adoration of you that I always will.

JM for MC
April 2003 in tribute to April 2002

Missouri Botanical Garden in St. Louis

Stone portico archway built in 1902.

http://www.mobot.org/welcome.html

http://www.butterflyhouse.org/

You're the best I've ever felt ...
it's so wrong not to be with you.
It's getting harder to stay away,
it stops my heart just to be with you.

SH

[This message has been edited by Janet Marie (05-05-2003 12:12 AM).]

© Copyright 2003 Janet Marie - All Rights Reserved
Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
1 posted 2003-05-04 11:30 PM

Janet Marie....A place is just a place until it is shared with someone you love....then it becomes so much more...you have made the smallest flower bloom brilliant with your memories of a special time with a special person.  As always, you write with enthusiasm and beauty.  
serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

2 posted 2003-05-04 11:33 PM

Your writing is so intimate--you make me feel like the pillow you are whispering into.

AND?

This:

"the worth that outweighed the wait"

oh yes. I look forward to that realization.

Gawd I love you...(that's right, let's just keep 'em talking! )

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

3 posted 2003-05-05 12:52 PM

Thank you me girlies...
from the bottom of me mothy heart

RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

4 posted 2003-05-05 01:06 AM

Soft as a baby's eyelash fluttering on a doting parent's cheek.

Cool photos too.
I recall being up at the top of that thing looking through little windows down to Old Muddy and some riverboats.

Local Parasite
Deputy Moderator 10 Tours
Member Elite
since 2001-11-05
Posts 2527
Transylconia, Winnipeg
5 posted 2003-05-05 02:44 AM

Oh Janet... you have no idea how I just shuddered when I finished reading this.  Fresh off the high of reading Martie's poem in Open, I come into Sanctuary to notice a post from you with four replies which I figured must have been something old brought up.  But somehow, three other people did actually see you post before I did.  Well now I just feel silly.  I should have my eye on here all the time, shouldn't I?

Well, my paragraph didn't have much to do with the first sentence, did it?  This poem of yours, JM, is absolutely fantastic... so professionally written, the scene is vivid and clear, the emotions tied in with the images, just splendid and utterly breathtaking... I suppose I'm somewhat biased because I constantly related this to one of my own experiences... revisiting the scenery and emotional impressions left... I have the same relationship with the Red river.  Hey, I wrote something about it too... remember?  Heh.

quote:
Looking back in memoired reflect ...  
your constance became my inspiration.

Oh oh oh.... you never suck at openings, either.  Sometimes when I'm writing I wish I had your phone number or something so I could ring you up and ask you for a line to get me started...

I'm reading this for the second time but even the first time around, I smiled immediately at your rhymes, your consonance, your utter technique and the beauty of your craft.  This is splendid... you always do this neat thing with words, I've noticed, like "memoired reflect," "blued brilliance..."  Verbed noun... and it's one of the things that makes your craft stand out.  Like at the antique roadshow... ever seen that show?  That's how an expert would point out the craftsmanship of a JM piece... well, one way, at least.  

The last two lines... oh, I LOVE that... the voice your destination, constance your inspiration... how long did it take you to come up with that?  You're a sophisticated thinker, milady...

quote:
You've painted my landscape with promises kept.
commitment across the distance of the too many miles divide.

Here we see another cameo by the colour blue... you just love that one, don't you, JM?  It's a nice colour, of course... it always seems to stand out, no matter where you are.  It works so nicely as a running theme through your work, I'd love to have the chance to just read a lot of your stuff all at the same time so that the relationship between your poems would be more apparent... maybe see the evolution of blue, how you use it... but this is piptalk, and that would take a lot of clicking.  Get the hint?  Hurry up and publish your complete works...

It's something beautiful that you describe, of course... love spanning miles and miles over the planet's surface... and it's something I remember dabbling in myself, for a brief year of my life... something that pained me greatly with the distance, with the incapability to hold or to touch, or be touched... it's terribly harmful to the being and I found I couldn't begin to write poetry about it.  You... you're optimistic on the subject matter, and that's so uplifting and deeply touching... that your memory, your moments spent are so fresh in your mind, and you continue to be inspired by them even after a year's lingering... it's talent, my girl... you have it... you are a true poet.

quote:
It's nearly impossible for me to conceive that it has only been
though my heart has held you close for much longer.

Oh my goodness... everything I said above, just drawn right out.  This is memory but it's so present and real to you, you write of something in retrospect as though it's directly before you, so tangible, but still only reflection and something you've had, and something you still hold, if not in your arms then in your memory, in your heart.  

Heh... I tend to get off my compliments for structure and into my personal response the further I reply into your poem, and for that I apologize, I really should continue to try and see it from all angles.  Your technique is so dazzling here that it's almost hidden, it's almost whispering with enhanced clarity the message it wishes to convey... a week of friendship's reprieve... the worth that outweighed the wait... you, JM, constantly renew my faith in the english language.

quote:
Spring is now ushered in again, bursting with brilliant bloomed
shared "show me state" landmarks and St. Louis sunsets.

bloomed expectation, petaled promise... what was that thing I said about the antique road show?   I hope my observing it doesn't take away from the magic at all, or make you too terribly wary of this trademark in your style... because I'd hate to see it lost or shamefully tucked away just because I happened to bring it up.  It's very cool, especially how you almost always adhere alliteration...

Again, you enhance that sense of nostalgia so powerfully by comparing the past to the present... all that's been discovered since, all the time that has passed, and how despite it all you still have trouble being impressed by the display of butterflies... it's just another part of the scene that brings back the images you recall, the watching of this person in motion... oh, I know exactly what you're referring to there... it's something truly spectacular to simply watch someone in motion... watch them breathing... ever watch someone sleep?  Ok, now I sound creepy, but seriously... wake up earlier than your bedside companion and just watch for a while... it's really something.

And only curious... by your return, do you mean your remembering?  Or did you make an actual return?

quote:
Now I walk again where we once walked as curious tourists in my
same awed admiration and adoration of you that I always will.

What you got against winter's treason, hm?  I wouldn't mind you going a bit easier on it... I know you're a spring girl, but come up and look at downtown Winnipeg in the winter sometime... and then, honestly tell me that what you've seen isn't an absolutely stunning image of beauty... none of this "treason" you speak of.  Winter is more than the "treason" of warmer seasons, my dear Janet... it's an entity all its own.

OK, pardon the digression... I have to comment on this last stanza especially, as there are two things I love about it... the first line, the walking as tourists in one's own town... I know exactly what you mean by that and it conjured up many a memory for me, of wandering about with a sudden interest in everything that's so familiar, for the fact that it's the first time looking at it in the company of a loved one... things become so different when you're not the only one who is able to look at them.

Mine and I were waiting at a bus stop the other day and she told me to look at the clouds... those same clouds that I walk under every day.  How the light was shining through them like a painting... in straight, distinct rays that made it look almost like a church ceiling.  Of course I'd seen it before but had never seen it at the request of a pair of eyes fascinated... and of course she'd seen it before but, never been able to share it with someone... just like two tourists in their hometown, gazing for the first time at something long familiar but long unappreciated...

I think your closing is probably the strongest I've seen in your poetry thus far.  And that is, the description of the arches, and the way you use them to describe your devotion, your constant and undying interest... your awed admiration and adoration (awed admiration... ahem...), I think that's just spectacular.  And for the first time, the image actually helped me understand what you were referring to.  But I still despise visual enhancements, don't get me wrong.     Overall I'd rank this among your best work, I'll put it in my private library where I can keep my eye on it in the future.

JM... you're an amazing woman.  Your poetry, your craftsmanship and style... the impact of your experiences... all of this strikes me as something worthy of recognition that I hope you someday have... in your life, or beyond it.  I hope your poetry is kept alive for centuries, because between all the alliterations and autobiography, there's wisdom, there's beauty and truth... and there's much to be learned.

Brian

Poets are the unacknowledged legislators of the world.

~Percy Bysshe Shelley

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

6 posted 2003-05-05 09:37 AM

wow...LP gives great reply, doesn't he?

Came back to add that I loved the title.
It brought a visual to my mind of a cat, the way they will arch their backs up in anticipation of some of that good lovin' rub...grin--and that probably reveals more about ME than you--chuckle, but I did want to share that.

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
7 posted 2003-05-05 10:51 AM

Well heck...bri took all the good words...
so I'll just say,
this was one heck of a conversation...
but the reverb?

Deeper than the 'Sipp...

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
8 posted 2003-05-05 12:46 PM

Dang.
Not only a library submission, but a huge gasping awe from my lips in admiration of your impeccable talent.
And the content? What a wonderful love story.

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

9 posted 2003-05-06 01:07 AM

Richard.... youre a better one than I....Ive never been up there and I live here
thank you for such a lovely poetic analogy.

Brian ... You are just too cool for a mere moth to put into words...but Im gonna try...
first of all, the other day on your poem in here I said I wish I was as capable to critique as you are...I see all these wonderful things in your poetry, but just dont seem to be able to tell you in a way that sounds like I have a clue
You made me smile so huge as I read this...for many reasons....
Of course I love having your praise, and your insight, but its your love of poetry and the way you get excited about it in your replies to me as well as other, that I adore the most. Thank you for putting so much sincere effort and time on this...and also for sharing personal experiences that my words conjured up for you. I love when we connect with anothers work like that. Thank you for your insight, for the view of this through your eyes....As always...you were dead on target on my intent, you read my words and between the lines.  Yes...the blue is a part of me now...ever since seeing the ocean. As for winter.... dont get me wrong...I love winter...love how snow lights up the gray of the season. That reference was meant as an analogy to define the emotions felt in the acceptance of distance and separation.
Anyway...Im moth rambling...(again) LOL
thank you my groovy guy for seeing all the layers of my inspire...all the little work and details that I try to work on and work in to my words...It lets me know Im doing something right when you see them.
If ya ever get down here..I'll take ya to lunch at the Arch

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

10 posted 2003-05-06 01:09 AM

KA....yes he does.... and Im moth giddy.. LOL
Now are you trying to make me PUUUUUUURRRRR
or say MEOW .  ROFL   YKTIKYK

Kari.... youre pretty deep yourself   Thank you dear Sun of my day.

Kacy...your reply make me mothy heart smile.. thank you so much for such a generous repsonse...and the honor of being in your library. TY girliegirl
thank you all for the lovely replies to this.

Cpat Hair
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-06-05
Posts 11793

11 posted 2003-05-06 08:53 AM

JM... you know i know...

superb...

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

12 posted 2003-05-06 10:07 AM

Ron??? Dunc???

LMAO

(and...yes....I know you know)*moth sigh*
Thank you for the superb.

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

13 posted 2003-05-06 11:37 AM

Duncan....you are so busted.   lmao

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

14 posted 2003-05-06 03:55 PM

Should I go into protective custody???
Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

15 posted 2003-05-06 05:10 PM

you can run but ya cant hide...
I know what porch youre under.
yayayayaya (heh)

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
16 posted 2003-05-07 07:04 AM

"Your quiet resolve proved true when I saw your eyes smile
though my heart has held you close for much longer."

"I realize even seasons in change cant compete with the anticipation
from the attraction and connection I felt when watching you in motion."

Oh boy, oh boy!  WOW Janet Marie.

It is always such a treat for me to follow your thoughts in a beautifully descriptive piece like this. Not only do you draw me in with actual visuals, but your warmth, emotion and pure love comes shining through each and every line.

Then ... just when I'm following the lovely flow along, you sprinkle beautiful internal rhymes within to surprise and delight, JM !  

"I see the beauty that surrounds me, but you in my view is what truly
couldn't reason away. "

Ahhhh, yes.  I love ya gator gal. This is wonderful. You took me into your mindset with this piece, as you always do. Excellent!

Great big hugs,  
/Kit

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

17 posted 2003-05-07 11:20 PM

Thank you so much for such a lovely gracious response Kit-girlie...
its always such a treat to find your name here....Im sooooo pleased you found so much in this one..I wanted it to be special.
Last month was the 1 year anniversary of me and Mark B meeting in person for the first time...and I wanted to capture the magic of that visit as well as all thats been shared in our 3 years of friendship since meeting here at pips. Im happy you got to share in the occasion
sending big mothy hugs to my fave gator gal

You're the best I've ever felt ...
it's so wrong not to be with you.
It's getting harder to stay away,
it stops my heart just to be with you.

SH

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

18 posted 2003-05-09 11:32 PM

Jams...I haven't forgotten and I'm really not a response slacker, I've just been so darn busy trying to teach Ron how to write in MC, that I haven't had time for much else.  That sure was a task I wish I'd thought twice about before accepting!  

I'll be back.....

Till then, admit it..ya know ya love me...
(even if I'm not a tigerboy   )

Duck and run, duck and run...

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

19 posted 2003-05-12 04:46 PM

‘Looking back in memoired reflect ...
your constance became my inspiration.’

See, that’s the difference between you and me.  I would’ve just said that I looked through some old poems and pictures, then wondered, ‘What was I thinking?!?!?!’  
Just messin’ Jams.  I love this verse because it takes something so simple, so universal, so sincere…a moment in time when two worlds collide, and beautifully expresses how intangible it is, to pin that moment down.

‘You've painted my landscape with promises kept.
commitment across the distance of the too many miles divide.’

Love that first line!  Remember when you were trying to describe this a few poems back?  You did it in this one verse.  It actually has a panoramic feel just reading it.  Though, a painter needs inspiration to produce a landscape such as this, inspiration only the queen moth could provide.

‘It's nearly impossible for me to conceive that it has only been
though my heart has held you close for much longer.’

‘the worth that outweighed the wait’…..very cool line!   And the moment you captured here is also perfectly and succinctly (for you…lol) described.  Some moments are even better, because we wait so long for them.  

‘Spring is now ushered in again, bursting with brilliant bloomed
shared "show me state" landmarks and St. Louis sunsets.’

‘gifted garden still warm with your presence’…love that!  Some memories stay vivid long after the day has passed, but come on JM…not even butterflies???  That's just crazy!!

‘Now I walk again where we once walked as curious tourists in my
same awed admiration and adoration of you that I always will.’

‘where we once walked as curious tourists in my own town’.   Isn’t it cool how everything is like you’re seeing it for the first time yourself, just because you’re with someone that special?  And everything pales but that one astounding view…

Sorry I'm so late Jams (though technically I've been here several times... ).  Going back to being a slacker now.....

[This message has been edited by Duncan (05-12-2003 04:54 PM).]

Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
20 posted 2003-05-22 10:59 PM

hmmm, I missed this one. I'm not even sure how to get into this part of passions..lol
So sharing your arch with someone else... mothy Janet you give great poetry when inspired, and I just love to read your writes.

Parker

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

21 posted 2003-05-23 01:21 PM

P-man...see what happends when ya follow a moth...ya find new places to play with poetry in pips  lol

Well what can I say...you know I love those bending arches
Thank you for taking the time to come find my work, I appreciate it much.
So..ya got any pics of that groovy boat of yours? Post em...or hows bout you sail it under the arch? LOL
thanks Parker.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness ... only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate ... only love can do that.
MLK

sea_of_okc
since 1999-06-15
Posts 568
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
22 posted 2003-05-23 02:22 PM

My lawd Janet I got goosebumps reading this. Your sweet sensitive soul shines through these words and I won't reply with a book (like some other long winded folks heehee) but I will say your words touched my heart. You know from of old that I'm a romantic sap and a sucker for a great love story (or poem) whether it be friendship love or even more. Such beautiful pictures too, makes me wish I could walk awhile with you down such brightly flowered paths.
I think you have mistaken a butterfly for a moth for such vibrancy MUST have colors...

Once again you have brightened my day!

vlraynes
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-25
Posts 8229
Somewhere... out there...
23 posted 2003-09-03 03:33 AM

JM...this is just beautiful in every way.

Smiling through tears here...thank you for
sharing this very special part of your heart.

Love and hugs, mothyone...

"Deep inside this armor, the warrior is a child."
~Twila Paris

[This message has been edited by vlraynes (09-03-2003 03:45 AM).]

littlewing
Member Rara Avis
since 2003-03-02
Posts 9655
New York
24 posted 2003-09-03 11:11 AM

Janet . . . first I was highly impressed by the picture . . .
then your words touched my heart like you cannot comprehend

astounds me.

A beautiful, flawless line . . .

and THEN you supply two links:
one for butterflies (Oh, you are an angel)
and then a botanical gardens
(I adore . . .)

sharing your memory and that of two souls
was quite breathtaking, the rest were
nice little surprises
*smile*
You do amaze me . . .
please continue to do so
and I did feel this . . .
warmth in my chest as I read
Beautiful Janet
xoo  

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

25 posted 2003-09-04 10:13 AM

ok...first of all.. Steve...please forgive me for not replying back to this when you posted it..I could have sworn I had...your oh so sweet reply touched me and I hope you see this sometime to know how much I appreciate your kindness...miss you around here...come back soon.

Vicky-girl...you know that I know that you know.
thank you for this and  all you share with me

Sue...trust me girlie when i tell ya , your reply warmed my heart too...
thank you so very much for this lovely, sincere response.
St. Louis has one of the most beautiful Botanical Gardens with these huge trees that date back to the 1800's and the butterfly house is fairly new and is one of the coolest ways to spend a day and use up a lot of film, LOL
thanks so much for stopping by this one that got brought back up, I havent posted in awhile now due to personal matters here in real time I havent been able to do many replies and keep up on poetry here...I miss reading all you guys and will try and catch up even if only here in Haven.  

thanks to all who shared some of you with me...
and as always my love and gratitude to Mark...my inspiration and heart light.
The arch shines brighter since seeing with you.

When was the last time you felt this high,
you are the best I've ever felt.
Its so wrong not to be with you
Its getting harder to stay away.

SH

Wind
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2002-10-12
Posts 2981

26 posted 2003-09-04 09:50 PM

I should go back a few days. and wow...wow..um.

can I have your autograph?

actualy I don't believe scribbles on a piece of paper are impostant but I make exeptions for you. brilliant

insanity is not a crime

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Sanctuary » Poetic Haven » Arched Anticipation

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary