navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #18 » What Have We Done?
Open Poetry #18
Post A Reply Post New Topic What Have We Done? Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
True Reflections
since 2001-12-04
Posts 143
Ohio, USA

0 posted 2002-01-08 10:32 AM

This is a series of 6 - 4 line stories about inhumanity and an attempt to weave them into a central theme.

O
sama Bin Laden, What have you done? Death is the legacy you leave.
Geared for a battle that cannot be won. In terror is what you believe.
Once stood two towers of nations worldwide.  Now lies a tomb for the dead.
Doomed is your soul for the devil is inside. Innocent blood has been shed.
When two lost souls did conspire, to get revenge on certain ones,
Each in trench coat, opened fire, and rocked the town of Littleton.
An innocence we thought there had been, ended April 99,
Remember the teacher and twelve children, who met their death at Columbine.
Every soldier thinks his mission, justifies the lives he takes,
Kill them all is his decision, as he starts his own earthquake.
If one you love dies, what bad luck, a daycare there, oh what a pity
Lucifer pulled up in his truck, and murdered Oklahoma City.
Lord, have mercy on those chosen, born into the Jewish race,
Innocents by train were motioned, to this concentrated place.
Nazi camps fed Hitler's Holocaust, chambers filled with cyanide,
Germany, see what you've lost, three million of your children died.
Civil unrest stirred emotions, causing all to choose their side,
Honor, death and true devotion, making up their soldier's pride
Into history marched the legions, cries of anguish still are heard,
Lost to mothers, 50,000, on the fields of Gettysburg.
Dropped from the sky on a Monday morning, August 6th, 1945,
Released from Enola without a warning, 200,000 would lose their lives.
Etched on this city a permanent memory, brought by birth of a second sun,
Now, hell has released its fury, "Oh my God! What have we done?"  

Roger

[This message has been edited by True Reflections (01-09-2002 11:36 AM).]

© Copyright 2002 Roger Long - All Rights Reserved
Mother_Earth
since 2000-11-20
Posts 1370
1/2 year Texas & 1/2 year Michigan
1 posted 2002-01-08 12:19 PM

True Reflections, oh, what you have said  and the way you said is beautiful even though the subject is terrible.  What a great way to get all of these in one poem.  I hope you get a lot of replies for this because you deserve it.  Great work!   ME
His Poet
since 2001-12-18
Posts 750

2 posted 2002-01-08 12:38 PM

Roger, How terrific it is to find your work here. This is great as most of yours are. Enjoyed this although the truth is painful. Cheryl
amusemi
since 2001-12-08
Posts 1262
A State of Disarray
3 posted 2002-01-08 12:45 PM

Beautifully done.  I agree, I hope many read this and respond.  It is a worthwhile piece and your point is not only well expressed, but very true.  So many lives, enough tears to fill an ocean.  I want to cry.
Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
4 posted 2002-01-08 12:52 PM

This is absolutely the truth, Roger...and you have brought it to us in a beautiful form.
Its so good to see your talant back here again...especially with a poem of such importance, and done so very well as an acrostic.
I have missed you.  Please keep posting here.

copyright2001 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

True Reflections
since 2001-12-04
Posts 143
Ohio, USA
5 posted 2002-01-08 12:59 PM

Mother,
Thank you for the kind words. I posted poems a while back, but wasn't receiving any responses, so I stopped. Lyra (Madame Chipmunk) convinced me to try one more. I enjoy meeting other poets, so I hope I get some responses also.

Cheryl,
I was surprised to see you here and just responded to your tin man poem this morning. Excellent as usual and now expected. Thanks for reading my poem.

Amusemi,
I split the poem into 4 line segments and tried to tell each story while showing that it is never ok to kill children. The people that do it have no justification. Thank you for taking the time to let me know how you feel.

Lyra,
You are my inspiration (but not for this particular poem). I was concerned that people would see the poem start with Osama Bin Laden and decide they were tired of that topic. See, I do have a serious side buried down in there somewhere.  

Ocelot
since 2002-01-07
Posts 40
Texas
6 posted 2002-01-08 12:59 PM

Wow, this is a heart wrencher...thank you for this, even if it is such an incredibly disturbing subject.  Kudos,

+| ... Ocelot ... |+

BloomingRose
Member Elite
since 2000-08-09
Posts 3092
Florida
7 posted 2002-01-08 01:00 PM

This give me chills and brings tears.
You have said all truths.
It's a sign of the times, as is told in the Bible.
Thank you for this.

Deb

Marsha
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-10
Posts 7423
Maidstone Kent England
8 posted 2002-01-08 01:58 PM

Roger darling boy welcome back kid, I've missed you, the site has missed you, your friends have missed you, and OH have I missed you. (I know I've missed you twice as much)

Now on to the poem, darling boy THIS is utterly utterly outstanding writing. As always YOU'VE wrtten the clear and stunning truth. Your words are always shining examples of truth, this time they are utterly utterly stunning

Love and warm stuff
As always
Mushy

To give light to them that sit in darkness..... to guide our feet into the way of peace St John ch2 v1

Soleil Noir
since 2001-12-19
Posts 688
USA
9 posted 2002-01-08 02:02 PM

You have portrayed a very
chilling acrostic....of life.

This could not have been easy
for you.

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
10 posted 2002-01-08 03:12 PM

(tears fall down my cheeks) Oh my gosh, this is terribly heartbreaking but so well-written, dearest Roger, I too cry to envision all the acts of enormity throughout the course of history and praying with all my heart that we may learn from all of this and work together to establish harmony from hope and love one another. (sad sigh) God Bless You, sweet friend, all our prayers join yours, we all love you so much! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Roger, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
11 posted 2002-01-09 08:46 AM

Roger,
when you pen, even words of doom; you do it with such clarity of thought and power that one can't help but listen.

Welcome back sweet poet!
Keth

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

Ven
since 2001-10-01
Posts 102
U.K.
12 posted 2002-01-09 09:01 AM

So very though provoking, an excellent write and very cleverly done. I could'nt agree more, that no action can ever justify the death of the innocents.
Thankyou so much for sharing this.
Blessed be,
Ven.

True Reflections
since 2001-12-04
Posts 143
Ohio, USA
13 posted 2002-01-09 09:20 AM

Ocelot,
It is definitely a heart-wrenching topic. I learned a lot when I was researching the various topics. Our cruelty seems boundless.
Thanks for commenting and taking the time to read it through.

Blooming Rose,
I believe we are in the end-times also, but many signs still need to be fulfilled before the Lord cleans up this mess. There are still a lot of great things in this world. Thank You.

Marsha,
Do you have a vat of mushy stuff that you dish out to all your friends? I'll take all that I can get. Who is this 'Big Ben' guy I've heard that you English ladies like to make time with?

Soleil Noir,
The research into the Holocaust and the Atom Bomb were very difficult. All those children.
Taught me a few things that I didn't know and wish we could learn from. Thank you for dropping in.

Mistletoe Angel,
One would have to be made of stone to not be affected by the horror we cast upon our human brothers and sisters. Would make it hard to look God in the eyes. Thank you.

Kethry,
You are too kind. Are all women in Victoria as wonderful as you? I just saw a documentary on Ayers Rock. I bet if we put that in America, we could have it covered in graffiti in hours. Love ya my little saucy Aussie.

Ven,
It's amazing how we de-value life when it isn't someone we know. Last night they were celebrating how great it was that only one American soldier had died in the fighting and how that was an acceptable number. Then they showed his picture. Didn't seem so acceptable at that moment, but the military man never stopped smiling. Wonder what the soldiers family thought of the death count. I'll get off my soap box now. Thanks for responding.  

Roger

Apachecat906
since 2001-09-04
Posts 217
Michigan, USA
14 posted 2002-01-09 09:52 AM

In response to your response, I have to say my initial reaction to your first line was exactly what you said...Bin Laden, here we go again...but you know what?  I kept reading and now Im thinking that the reason things like this keep happening is due to an attitude like Ive let my self slide into.  I love the line:

Every soldier thinks his mission, justifies the lives he takes

Isn't that true.  Whenever someone dies, 1 person or 50,000...

Thanks for the truth today.  You've given me something to think about.

angelbear
since 2001-05-22
Posts 139
North East, USA
15 posted 2002-01-09 09:55 AM

I am just in total agreement. This is a great expression of what many feel.

I can't control
my destiny
I trust my soul,
my only goal
is just to "be"
-Lyrics from RENT

True Reflections
since 2001-12-04
Posts 143
Ohio, USA
16 posted 2002-01-09 11:31 AM

Apachecat906,
Originally the poem didn't have the first 4 lines. I added those a couple of months ago. I had hoped the poem would never grow larger, but mankind had a different plan.
Thanks for giving it a chance. I'm not a radical that thinks we should never fight back when it is justified, but I feel for the innocents that live or die with our decisions.

angelbear,
Some feel that war is a necessary evil that we need to cleanse the world of humanity, like a fire in the forest, destroys to rebuild. I'm sad that it is the way we have chosen to settle our differences. We go to the lowest common denominator and start subtracting from both sides. Thank you for your comments.

Roger

Madame Chipmunk
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-12-05
Posts 8296
Michigan
17 posted 2002-01-09 11:47 AM

Another ride to the top for this amazing poem, Roger.  

copyright2001 Lyra Nesius

"poetry is life distilled"  Gwendolyn Brooks

sodpossom
since 2001-06-15
Posts 723
N.C
18 posted 2002-01-09 12:36 PM

Very beautiful and well done!
amigo
since 2001-10-12
Posts 520
the earth school
19 posted 2002-01-09 12:40 PM

Very well said, Roger....I wonder how many more wake-up calls we need, to know why we are all here for...sets me thinking...thank you for sharing...
heather_kitn
since 2001-12-07
Posts 61
In The Kokapelli's Song
20 posted 2002-01-09 01:15 PM

Simply amazing...no words of encouragement or praise would do this piece justice.  Only quiet reflection by all who read it.

VERY well penned!

-heather

I do not seek...I find!
           ~Picasso~

True Reflections
since 2001-12-04
Posts 143
Ohio, USA
21 posted 2002-01-09 01:38 PM

Lyra,
All that money I paid you to keep me on top was worth it. Thanks for the push.

Stevie,
Thanks for reading this again. I left for awhile, but Lyra made me come back. You know how persuasive she can be. I didn't stand a chance.

Amigo,
I think the wake-up calls are getting later and later, like the sunshine in an Alaskan winter. Pretty soon we won't wake up at all or we'll be afraid to go to sleep. Thank you for the comments.

Heather Kitn,
Thank you. I commented on one of yours earlier and see we have a similar style. I'm going to have to do something lighter on my next post. Maybe double my Prozac intake tomorrow and mellow out.

Roger

N orth Carolina Girl
since 2001-12-04
Posts 962
NC,USA
22 posted 2002-01-09 02:05 PM

Roger,this is so sad but heartfelt.I always love your poetry and this is one of your best.

Juanita

"always have a smile on your face it makes people wonder what you`re up to:

True Reflections
since 2001-12-04
Posts 143
Ohio, USA
23 posted 2002-01-09 02:52 PM

Juanita,
Thank you and I appreciate the compliment. I like this poem very much, but it is very depressing. I completely changed the focus of it after doing the research. It hit home that the children and people in other countries around the world feel, love and hurt just like we do in the USA. I think we have a tendency to de-value the lives of people we don't identify with or normally interact with. This is wrong.

Roger

Duncan
Member Ascendant
since 2001-08-07
Posts 5455

24 posted 2002-01-09 05:31 PM

Very thoughtful write, Roger.  Talent with a message...enjoyed!
True Reflections
since 2001-12-04
Posts 143
Ohio, USA
25 posted 2002-01-10 08:35 AM

Duncan,
Thank you for the compliment. It's a tough one to enjoy.

EagleScorpion
since 2000-03-08
Posts 1644
Here, Now, Forever
26 posted 2002-09-10 10:23 PM

you forgot to mention the millions and millions of native americas that died due to western colonization, but otherwise this work is heartfelt and should be taken very seriously
passing shadows
Member Empyrean
since 1999-08-26
Posts 45577
displaced
27 posted 2003-01-22 03:10 AM

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #18 » What Have We Done?

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary