navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #18 » No Proper Way
Open Poetry #18
Post A Reply Post New Topic No Proper Way Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea

0 posted 2002-02-12 06:38 PM

No Proper Way

by Michael

I cannot find a proper way
to mourn the loss of one that gave,
unconditional love to me.
To my emotions, I’m a slave.

The years have passed and still I grieve,
touched things of hers I cherish so.
An orphaned spirit, I limp on.
Dear God, why did she have to go?

Each day when I sit down to write,
it’s at her desk my words are penned.
So many words, so many tears
and yet, I cannot seem to mend.

A part of me, forever lost,
was thrown upon the sands that day.
Poetic eulogy, I gave,
she’d asked if it would be okay.

With lump in throat, I spoke the words,
as morning woke upon the sea.
I cast her body to the winds,
but also cast a part of me.

I miss you, Mama, even now.
I’ve found no proper way to grieve.
If you were here, I’d ask you how,
but you felt it your time to leave.

In 1990 my dear mother died after a long battle with emphysemia.  In her living will she'd asked not to be revived if she stopped breathing again.  

She'd also asked that I write a poetic eulogy, as I had done for my father and spread her ashes with his own, on the sands of a small island along the Atlantic coast at sunrise.  

Though she is no longer here to answer the question, no, there is no proper way to grieve.  We each do so in our own way.  God bless you all!

Michael Auguste~
There is more depth to the heart than the mind can comprehend and it only has boundaries when we choose to fence it in.  

© Copyright 2002 Michael Auguste - All Rights Reserved
JBaker515
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2001-02-28
Posts 458
Dartmouth College
1 posted 2002-02-12 06:43 PM

Michael...

This was beautiful.  You are an amazing human being, and she would be so proud of you as a person, and as a poet.  You are really amazing, and truthfully, losing a mother is the hardest thing on earth.  But it seems to me that you turned out to be amazing, and this shows it.  

She is watching down on you, and is proud.

May God Bless you Michael!!

My prayers are with you.

~~Jeff~~

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
2 posted 2002-02-12 07:11 PM

I know how you feel, in a different way, just before my aunt died, she asked me to stay strong...so now I can't cry real well, and I fight the tears, unable to grieve the "right" way, trying to respect her wanting me to be strong....one day, the damn will bust....this poem made me cry Michael....very touching, (((hugs)))

[This message has been edited by SEA (02-12-2002 07:12 PM).]

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
3 posted 2002-02-12 08:04 PM

Very tenderly written, dear friend.  Hugs!
strbbux
Member Elite
since 2001-12-19
Posts 3859

4 posted 2002-02-12 08:07 PM

Michael I certainly know where you are coming from dear friend, and I am so sorry. As I find the grieving never stops. People think that time heals all wounds, well it doesn't. I am sorry, and this is a lovely tribute to her and how much you loved her. floria

Floria

"Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them"
(Oliver Wendell Holmes)

Enchantress
Member Empyrean
since 2001-08-14
Posts 35113
Canada eh.
5 posted 2002-02-12 08:31 PM

No words can express my feelings at this moment Michael.
This is extremely well done.
God Bless you.
~Hugs, Nancy~

~Love transcends time and space~

Tracey
Member Elite
since 2001-08-29
Posts 2808
where insanity meets breeding
6 posted 2002-02-12 08:37 PM

This one touched me especially Michael. I lost my Mom in 1996, and I still feel the loss every day. But you know…how lucky we were to have them, even if the time was not long enough. This is a very tender tribute to your Mama. I’m sure she’s smiling sweetly at this my friend.

If she who dies with the most toys wins, then can I have some toy boys please?

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
7 posted 2002-02-12 08:37 PM

(big hugggsssssss) Oh Michael, we all understand how you feel, and all our hearts cry out to you! (sigh) I too have coped with loss and I am always requested to stay strong, but these tears keep falling from e and I can't help but grieve by request! We all love you so much, sweet friend, God Bless You! You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Michael, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

akela
since 2002-02-05
Posts 15
croydon england
8 posted 2002-02-12 08:40 PM

i read a poem and like it so much for whatever reason but then when i go to post a reply i canot find the word!! i lost my parent i feel your pain your words touched me
Silver Streak
Member Elite
since 2002-01-02
Posts 3625
FL, USA
9 posted 2002-02-12 08:44 PM

Michael, This is very, very beautiful. I'm sure your mother is watching and is very proud of you. And I am personally deeply nourished by the love you share with all of us.

I, too, still deeply miss my mother. She was always the light of my soul. And while my father wanted me to be minister, it was my mother's inspiration that led me to follow God in a different, truer way. Thank you, Michael, and may God richly bless you and bring you eternal peace and joy.
-newell

Sharing God's Love through perfectlovepoetry.com

Copyright: 2002 Newell Elsworth Usher

[This message has been edited by Silver Streak (02-12-2002 08:45 PM).]

catalinamoon
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-06-03
Posts 9543
The Shores of Alone
10 posted 2002-02-12 09:17 PM

Michael,I'm sure your Mom knows how much you miss her, and how loved she is.
Beautiful tribute, sweet man.
Sandra

rosepetals25
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Elite
since 2000-05-31
Posts 3076
PA
11 posted 2002-02-12 09:35 PM

Micheal,

This is just beautiful.  You know you mother is here, with you, watching over you and your family.  She is bursting with pride I'm sure.

Hugs,
Tara

"My heart is like an open book, for the whole world to read"
     - Motley Crue, Home Sweet Home

SpitFire
Member Elite
since 2000-04-19
Posts 2396

12 posted 2002-02-12 09:59 PM

~I am deeply touched,...and I admire the beautiful and heartfelt honesty you allow yourself in this. Take care. *Peace Michael.
brianbeaudry
since 2001-07-20
Posts 410
Northern Ontario Canada
13 posted 2002-02-12 10:05 PM

I can understand your feelings Auguste, when I visit the spot I spread my father's ashes, it seems his voice whispers to me through the trees. His passing was sudden, his loss still felt, I too wrote a poem for him, I will post it later, it's titled "Miner's Life". Touching poem my friend!!!
Auguste
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-02-16
Posts 3953
By the sea
14 posted 2002-02-13 05:36 PM

Jeff,
I sincerely thank you, but there is nothing amazing about me.  I'm as ordinary as the next person.  God bless you also!

Susan,
I honestly think your Aunt Sue would want to cry to help release some of the pain you have so that you can be strong.  Sometimes we must cry in order to find our strength.  Bless you, my dear friend and thank you much.

Martie,
thank you and *hugs* back to you

Floria,
Thank you and no, the grieving never stops.  Time doesn't heal all wounds.  Peace to you

Nancy,
Thank you!  It's been twelve years.  Her birthday, like my own, was in February and I couldn't help but think of her.

My sincere condolences to you, Tracey.  Thank you for reading and please know you are in my prayers.

Noah,
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss and wish you my best.  It's never easy and "strong" is a hard word to understand when you're heart is broken.  Thank you for reading, my friend and God bless you

akela,
Thank you and I'm sorry to hear about you losing a parent.  I've lost both of mine now.  If you're having problems with posting, please feel free to e-mail a moderator for help.  Take care

Newell,
I'm very sorry to hear about your mother.  The youngest brother is a minister.  I want you to know how much I admire your faith and though I may not post on all your poems, rest assured that I do read your wonderful work.  Thank you and God bless you also, my friend

Sandra,
Yes, she knows.  She was a very remarkable person. Thanks, sweet friend

Tara,
Yes, she was always very proud of me as a man and of my creativity.  Thank you and *hugs* back

SpitFire,
thank you..poetry is always honest, I think.  I know that mine is.  

Brian,
You have my heartfelt condolences, sir.  Thank you much.  May God bless you!

Michael Auguste~
There is more depth to the heart than the mind can comprehend and it only has boundaries when we choose to fence it in.  

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #18 » No Proper Way

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary