navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #17 » P.i.l.l.s.
Open Poetry #17
Post A Reply Post New Topic P.i.l.l.s. Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
GhostWriter_6
since 2001-09-03
Posts 237
??Amityville??

0 posted 2001-12-03 12:14 PM

P.I.L.L.S.

Compressed emotions contract contradiction,
Not enough fact, the cup runs over with fiction,
Results don’t come from a bottle, or a prescription,
Curing your depression: but increasing your addiction.
Xanax, zoloft, or Prozac, choose your chemical imbalance connection,
Brain waves dimmed by the session, down is your direction.
Alter your perception of life with 750 Mg. of enjoyment,
Take too many.... O.D. and destroy it.
One pill, once a day for one month is what you tell yourself,
Without that pill you cant even stand yourself.
Washed away in synthetic substance shame,
An altered state of mind, Who Is To Blame?
Blame the pill because of the power it holds,
Blame the doctor.. It was his pen that wrote the prescription that you hold,
Better yet blame yourself: you have the self-control,
One pill, once a day, for one month is what your told.

© Copyright 2001 Antonio Marquis Bankhead - All Rights Reserved
Mother_Earth
since 2000-11-20
Posts 1370
1/2 year Texas & 1/2 year Michigan
1 posted 2001-12-03 12:27 PM

GhostWriter, The pills are ONLY for a little while.  I used to think I couldn't live without pills..any kind of pills.. and a lot of them.  Maybe they did help, but one day I woke up and decided I wanted to see what the world was really like, so I quit,cold turkey, all of the pills.  You know, after the terror wore off, I decided this world is not such a bad place after all and I can and could make it on my own.  Bet it would work for others too.  
GhostWriter_6
since 2001-09-03
Posts 237
??Amityville??
2 posted 2001-12-03 12:36 PM

Ok.... i dont want people to think the wrong thing when they read this.. im not on any medication and i have never been..as a matter of fact i am scared of pills.. its just that i have alot of people around me that are pill dependent.. and i also want to say that i didnt want to disrespect any of the members who are taking anti-depressants.. im not shooting them down .. i just dont like the way perscription drugs are abused.

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
3 posted 2001-12-03 01:10 PM

I don't like it either GhostWriter. Some people need daily meds, for true survival. Many do abuse them as a quick and easy(?) escape from life. Laying blame is the tough part. Each person must accept self-responsibility in the long run, yet much of our life we are surrounded with people pushing us into being a dependent species. I see it in the doctors office too often. The old " Dr. always knows what is BEST for you" trap. Sometimes it is a pile of *rap. I recently took a more active control in my meds, and the result has been fantastic. One Rx I had changed to a less 'obnoxious' substitute, one I simply threw away with a big rejection slip and a No, thank you. But the very best Rx for me has been to come to these blue pages and write and read.

This is a well written piece, something to think about as I make my next survival appointment.

Kethry
Member Rara Avis
since 2000-07-29
Posts 9082
Victoria Australia
4 posted 2001-12-03 05:01 PM

Ghostwriter,
I took the pills for a month...twelve months ago. The nice thing is I am finally getting a point where weaning is possible...I feel like a five year old breast fed child...too much goodness for too long.

Thanks for the poem and the way you presented the issue.
Kethry

Here in the midst of my lonely abyss, a single joy I find...your presence in my mind.  Unknown

Domzi
since 2001-09-08
Posts 288
New York (BK)
5 posted 2001-12-03 05:04 PM

Man, this poem was real! A lot of people think that the power of pills will take away all the aches and pains, but reality soon sets back in. Nice poem!

Poetry is spiritual ventilation!

RosePetal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-08-26
Posts 2985
South Florida
6 posted 2001-12-03 07:03 PM

This is definitely real! I know all about it because my mother is supposedly suffering from clinical depression and has to take pills for her estrogen and sometimes she will drop the pills down the sink and make me think she took them, so now I have to stand there and literally watch her swallow them or else she won't take them.
Much Love,

RP

GhostWriter_6
since 2001-09-03
Posts 237
??Amityville??
7 posted 2001-12-04 04:26 AM

im glad all of you liked the poem....

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #17 » P.i.l.l.s.

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary