navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » The Love I've Known
Open Poetry #16
Post A Reply Post New Topic The Love I've Known Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada

0 posted 2001-11-02 11:37 PM

Normally my writing does not deal with specific people unless I'm writing for friends or family or I'm asked to write a poem for someone purposely, so I wanted to share a little background with you before you read this poem.

I've been asked several times by visitors at the main site, to help them write something unique for a loved one. The other night, a young man contacted me, and asked me to help him write a tribute that he could read on his upcoming wedding day at his reception, for his new wife and her son (who has known him since 11 months old as his "pop"). I wrote him back, and told him to ramble away in point form, and I'd see what I could do. I received such an amazingly detailed letter in return, far too much to go into … but I chose just the highlights and wrote the following last night and sent it back to him. He responded in the most delightful way this morning … I must say ... some days, writing has such wonderful rewards.  

Anyway … I've changed their names for this post, on the far-off chance that it ever got back to her before the wedding day … I would never want to spoil his surprise.    

~*~

The Love I've Known - For Nichole and Tyler

I dreamt of what to share with you, upon our wedding day,
So many mem'ries fill my mind … so much I have to say ….
Though I could whisper quietly, these sentiments to you,
I wish to raise my voice in love, for all to hear … it's true.

The moment that I saw you there, across that crowded room,
I knew your heart was meant for mine … I knew we were in tune.
You captivated me that night, my eyes were just for you,
You mesmerized my very soul … I knew you felt it too.

It wasn't long before we had our first official date,
I paced the floor anticipating what would be our fate;
Not only did I wish to know the girl who stole my heart,
I wanted to connect with Tyler from the very start.

A date for three, we then began … just Tyler, you and I,
Embarking on a day that altered all the days gone by;
We played down by the water's edge, threw rocks and sticks in hand,
I felt a bond begin to grow … I was a lucky man.

The days went by, and though we lived a little drive away,
We made the time to build our love, through each and every day;
I found that I would count the hours until we'd meet again,
A dinner, laugh, a hug … we just enjoyed the time we'd spend.

The nights were never long enough, we'd linger and we'd talk,
While building dreams and chatting at our little ice cream shop;
We'd sit outside and watch the stars, and all the while I knew,
That someday when the time was right, that I'd propose to you.

But then one day, I got that call, it shook me to the core,
Your life was hanging in the balance … nothing was for sure;
I skipped exams, I drove to you, to be there by your side,
I prayed with all my heart and soul … I hung my head and cried.

So many months ensued … recuperation slowly came,
The time we spent together, even closer we became;
I never thought I'd ever know this type of love we share,
But every second I'm with you, it grows beyond compare.

I think back to the night we walked along the sandy beach,
The moon, the stars, the galaxies all seemed within our reach;
I wondered to the heavens … as we laughed and talked that night,
Just how my life had changed, since you had brought my love to light.

Nichole, my dear … not only did you grace me with your heart,
You offered me a chance to play a very special part …
Each time that I hear  "pop" I turn to Tyler, and I smile,
A warmth of love envelopes me, to stay with me a while.

You are the missing pieces to the puzzle of my life,
And on this day, I want to say to Tyler and my wife …
Until you walked into my world, a part of me was lost …
But with your love, I'm now complete, because our lives have crossed.

/Kit McCallum

[This message has been edited by Kit McCallum (edited 11-03-2001).]

© Copyright 2001 Kit McCallum - All Rights Reserved
Balladeer
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-05
Posts 25505
Ft. Lauderdale, Fl USA
1 posted 2001-11-02 11:44 PM

Kit, the man may not have known how right he was in choosing you to create his poem...but I'm sure he does after reading this. He picked the best....and you delivered. This is special...
BluesSerenade
Member Patricius
since 2001-10-23
Posts 10549
By the Seaside
2 posted 2001-11-03 12:07 PM

What a happy ending and a wonderful gift
you have given with your written words.

Life and love are so precious.    

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
3 posted 2001-11-03 12:24 PM

You brought tears to my eyes!! I am so emotional right now....Kit, this is perfect.  
Larry C
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Patricius
since 2001-09-10
Posts 10286
United States
4 posted 2001-11-03 12:25 PM

Kit,
What an awesome surprise he has in store. You have such wonderful talent. I may need his plan one day...

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

5 posted 2001-11-03 12:30 PM

Well it seems he has found the perfect woman and he then found the perfect poet to help him express what he needed to say.
Yes this is perfect..perfectly wonderful...
just like the poet who wrote it.
Your exceptional talent is always evident...as is your kind intentions and gentle ways.
VERY COOL poem Kit-girlie
jm

I can be your hero baby ... I will kiss away the pain
I will stand by you forever ... you still take my breath away ...

Marge Tindal
Deputy Moderator 5 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-06
Posts 42384
Florida's Foreverly Shores
6 posted 2001-11-03 02:07 AM

Kit~
Just so totally lovely~
*Hugs*
~*Marge*~

~*The pen of the poet never runs out of ink, as long as we breathe.*~
   noles1@totcon.com              

JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
7 posted 2001-11-03 02:24 AM

Kit this is a wonderful thing you have done...you are very talented...James
CocoBaci
Member Elite
since 2000-05-06
Posts 3043

8 posted 2001-11-03 02:31 AM

Oh my goodness dearFriendKitt, this is soooooooooooooo beautiful it brought tears 2my eyes upon reading it...
I enjoyed this a whole bunch sweetie...
Hugs2always PoetFriend
*~coco~*

Rick
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 2903
Victoria, Australia
9 posted 2001-11-03 07:22 AM

Dear Kit, what a wonderful writer you are, I loved every word and felt every emotion with this one. I am sure that they who share your talent when read, will find it hard to hold back the flood gates of emotion. The woman and child are indeed lucky and loved.

Great work Kit as always, much enjoyed.

Sincerely
Rick

Sunshine
Administrator
Member Empyrean
since 1999-06-25
Posts 63354
Listening to every heart
10 posted 2001-11-03 07:35 AM

Kit, what a wonderful compliment, and how gracious you were in your reply!  Now, you do Anniversary Requests as well, yes?  I am sure they will be back every year!  This is marvelous!

Startime
Member Ascendant
since 2000-10-03
Posts 5918
Canada
11 posted 2001-11-03 10:54 AM

*sigh* Oh yes the tears flow freely while I was reading this beautiful poem. Only a heart like yours could writw something as wonderfully heart felt as this. It is a masterpiece and I am sure will be treasure by them both. **hugs**

Love I leave with you whether it is in your life now or yet the essense of your dreams.

[This message has been edited by Startime (edited 11-03-2001).]

SmartChick
Member Rara Avis
since 2001-09-23
Posts 7081
On A Journey To The Unknown
12 posted 2001-11-03 11:19 AM

Kit, this is just beautiful. You are a very talented writer. I really enjoyed reading this. It is so nice of you to write this for someone else. Thank you for sharing it.
MARK V SHELDON
Member Elite
since 2001-06-21
Posts 3015
In a corporeal internship...
13 posted 2001-11-03 11:30 AM

Very touching and uplifting, Kit.  What an honor to receive such a wonderful outpouring of love, understanding, and appreciation.  You continue to make many people around you happy -- may you never stop.

-MVS

"Learn to let go of fear, doubt, and disbelief..."  --THE MATRIX

http://www.davidicke.com/icke/index1c.html

Seymour Tabin
Member Empyrean
since 1999-07-07
Posts 31720
Tamarac Fla
14 posted 2001-11-03 07:26 PM

Kit,
I can only agree with Balladeer. You did an excellent job as I knew you would. *L*

Midnitesun
Deputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Empyrean
since 2001-05-18
Posts 28647
Gaia
15 posted 2001-11-03 07:38 PM

What a wonderful gift!
Kit, if I ever get stuck and lose my quill or my will, can I send you a 'points' list??????

Mistletoe Angel
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Empyrean
since 2000-12-17
Posts 32816
Portland, Oregon
16 posted 2001-11-03 07:44 PM

CLAPPING WILDLY!!! BRAVO!!! OH MY GOSH, THIS IS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL AND TOUCHING BLESSING FOR NICHOLE AND TYLER, SWEET KIT!!! (big hugggssssss) I know how it must feel, and how big a step it is to deal with, but all the while they were destined to cross paths and your loving heart shines with compassion and happiness in this poem! (smiles) God Bless You, sweet Kit, this couldn't be any better! (kiss on cheek) You have such a beautiful heart, sweet Kut, thank you for sharing!

May love and light always shine upon you!

Love,
Noah Eaton

Magnus
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-10-10
Posts 14135
South Carolina, USA
17 posted 2001-11-03 07:45 PM

Kit...there is not greater gift that being
able to use a gift of expression and give
words that touch hearts,  make souls complete
and put smiles and tears of joy in the eyes
of those you have given the gift to.

You have done extremely well.  This is
such a beautiful tribute.  I know she will
love this....I am sure he will as well.

Dark Angel
Member Patricius
since 1999-08-04
Posts 10095

18 posted 2001-11-03 08:18 PM

If only we could see her face when he reads this to her, it is beautifully written Kit....Well DOne!

Maree  

DawnG
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
since 2000-06-23
Posts 1494
United States
19 posted 2001-11-03 10:43 PM

Kit,

This is absolutely beautiful breath-taking, stunning, you name all the words to describe a job well done and I'm thinking them right now. I was asked to write a poem for a lady to read to her future daughter in law at the bridal shower, but mine is dim in comparison.
  Also I would like to thank you for being such a friend and help to me in Deputy Moderators.

Dawn

Skyfire
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2000-12-27
Posts 3381
Riding
20 posted 2001-11-03 11:13 PM

Kit, this is just beautiful! I'm actually speechless it's so awesome!

~I am a computer genius... Hey! How do you turn this thing on?!?

~Love me because I am Rhonda

Elizabeth
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
21 posted 2001-11-03 11:17 PM

I had tears (happy ones) in my eyes as I read this! Kit, this is astounding! You did  beautiful with this, even though it's for people you don't even know. I'm deeply touched by this. I'm keeping this one for future reading!

P.S. I'm glad Nichole is all right! Send this guy my best wishes for him and his family! :heartL

God bless America, my home sweet home.

Elizabeth
Member Ascendant
since 1999-06-07
Posts 6871
Minnesota
22 posted 2001-11-03 11:24 PM

OK, so I forgot to click the library button....

God bless America, my home sweet home.

vandana
Deputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Patricius
since 1999-10-22
Posts 10463
USA
23 posted 2001-11-04 12:41 PM

enjoy
Lone Wolf
Member Ascendant
since 2000-03-16
Posts 5842
Lansing, MI USA
24 posted 2001-11-04 12:48 PM

Beautiful write, Kit.  He is a lucky man indeed.  May their love blossom and grow for eternity.  

All writing comes
by the grace of God.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
25 posted 2001-11-04 02:29 PM

Kit--You did their love justice with this wonderful poem...Hugs to you for writing it.
suthern
Member Seraphic
since 1999-07-29
Posts 20723
Louisiana
26 posted 2001-11-05 09:33 AM

My eyes filled with tears as I read this... for both the beauty of the poem and the wonderful woman who wrote another's heart for him to speak. If your talent hadn't impressed me so often, I'd be amazed... as it is, I simply applaud!
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

27 posted 2001-11-05 02:48 PM

this gives me so much hope in real love. Thank you, Kit!

Kathleen
nickname "Kay"

"Others can stop you temporarily, but only you can do it permanently."

Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
28 posted 2001-11-06 08:38 AM

I'm sorry I'm so late in responding everyone … life's been a tad hectic of late and I'm behind in both my reading and responding ... hoping for some calm soon!  

Balladeer: Hugs for these sweet sentiments, Michael. The young man even offered to design me a house, though I'm sure he was teasing  … it was so sweet. Just a thank you is good for me.  And a big thank "you" for these tender words.    

BluesSerenade:  Thank you BluesSerenade (what a lovely pen name). Your kind words are much appreciated.    

SEA:  Awww … thank you Susan, I'm glad this touched you in this way, I'm very grateful you enjoyed!    

Larry C:  A backup plan? LOL … Thank you Larry, though I'm sure you will write your own beautifully, as you have such a lovely way with words. Hugs.    

Janet Marie:  Thanks so much JM … I really enjoy doing this kind of thing.  As I said to him … they are your words … I'm only formatting them a little. Hugs to you gator-gal.    

Marge Tindal:  Thank you for the lovely thoughts Marge … you are much appreciated, big hugs.    

JamesMichael:  I'm glad you enjoyed James. Thanks so much for the kind words. I had fun with this one.    

CocoBaci:  Awwww … thank you for these sweet words Coco … I very much appreciate this.    

Rick:  They truly are a lucky new family Rick … I think "I" was the one in tears as I read the young man's story. I hope they do enjoy it when he reads it that special day, many thanks.    

Sunshine:  Yes I do "do" Anniversaries too Sunshine, LOL. I have a few I've done for people .... I really enjoy this kind of thing. Many thanks Karilea.    

Startime:  This is so sweet Startime … thank you so very much for these incredibly kind words, they are much appreciated.    

SmartChick:  Thanks so much for this lovely response SmartChick … I'm very glad you enjoyed this piece, much appreciated.    

MARK V SHELDON:  What a beautiful comment Mark, thank you so very much for these beautiful sentiments, I am very grateful.    

Seymour Tabin:  I'm glad you enjoyed this piece Seymour, and thank you for the kind words, they are very much appreciated.    

Midnitesun:  LOL … by all means, however I doubt you will need any help Midnitesun … you write beautifully. Many thanks!    

Mistletoe Angel:  Thank you so much for your sweet and enthusiastic response Noah … I hope you know that you are very much appreciated.    

Magnus:  Thank you so much for this beautiful response Magnus … I do so very much enjoy making people smile. I had a lot of fun with this, and hope they'll enjoy it on their special day.    

Dark Angel:  Oh, me too Maree … that's the only part I miss out on. I did ask him to send me a note sometime after the wedding to let me know how it was received. Keeping fingers crossed, LOL. Thanks for the kind words.    

DawnG:  Thank you so much for these lovely thoughts Dawn, and it is "I" who should be thanking you for your Deputy Mod contributions. You did an amazing job. We are thrilled that you joined us … thank "you" my friend!    

Skyfire:  Thanks so much for the kind words Skyfire … I'm glad you weren't speechless, and let me know you enjoyed, LOL. Many thanks!    

Elizabeth:  I will send along best wishes Elizabeth …. Hopefully I'll hear back from him after the wedding … I love that part, LOL. Many thanks for your lovely thoughts.    

Vandana:  Thanks so much Vandana … I'm so very glad you enjoyed!      

Lone Wolf:  Wonderful wishes for the happy threesome LoneWolf … he is a lucky man indeed, as is his young wife and son. Many thanks.    

Martie:  Thank you so much for the lovely sentiments Martie … I do hope she and her son enjoy it. Much appreciated.    

Southern:  Oh Southern … you are far too kind to me. Thank you for these beautiful sentiments, I am very grateful to you.    

Irish Rose:  I'm so glad these gave you a feeling of hope in real love Kathleen, that means a lot to me, thank you!    

Much appreciation to all,  
/Kit

[This message has been edited by Kit McCallum (edited 11-06-2001).]

Tara Simms
since 1999-08-12
Posts 1244
Honea Path, SC USA
29 posted 2001-11-06 11:36 AM

Oh, Kit, I'm sitting here at work, crying. The bride (and her son) will absolutely love this!
Parker
Member Elite
since 2000-01-06
Posts 3129
ON
30 posted 2001-11-06 04:38 PM

Kit, this was just beautiful. I'm sure you've captured the essence of his love to her. Bravo Bravo.  

Parker

Robert A
since 2001-10-29
Posts 174

31 posted 2001-11-08 11:36 AM

this is a neat thing to do for two people just starting out. I hope they like it!
Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #16 » The Love I've Known

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary