navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #15 » Thursday I Will Bring Strawberries For Everyone
Open Poetry #15
Post A Reply Post New Topic Thursday I Will Bring Strawberries For Everyone Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada

0 posted 2001-08-21 09:40 PM

Thursday I Will Bring Strawberries For Everyone

I arrived in the valley of crumpled parchment,
With a smile and flowers in hand.
Within seconds, my heart was racing,
The anxiety and hopelessness in the air was stifling.
I saw the wheels of their lost minds,
Spinning with no destination of hope.
Just bodies, shifting on wheels to and fro, silent.

A corral of lonely souls turned to see who approached.
I saw the smile on her face as I came toward her,
Taking her hand so rough  with the gridlines,
Of so many years of sacrifice and toil.
I bent, kissed her wrinkled cheek, and smiled.
I saw the look of helplessness, and hopelessness,
In hollow eyes, that had once sparkled.

This place was eating away at her will to survive.
She told me who had passed away since my last visit.
Her eyes filled with sorrow for them and herself.
She said in despair, “I don’t know how long I can take this.”
I forced the usual pep talk on faith, hope,
Hanging in there, as each step counted in recovery.
Guilt became a shroud I wore on these days.
What do you say when it won’t get better than this?

“I think I will get a bread machine”, she said.
I of course said that would be perfect for her.
Anything to give her hope in a place devoid of future.
Arranging the flowers, she suddenly took my hand.
“This is it isn’t it?” she said.  I turned.
With a breaking heart, I had to say not to talk that way,
Reassure her that each new day she seemed better.
The acid of guilt these days was eating my soul, but,
For one hour, just one hour, she sat there smiling.

As I looked around in that graveyard of the lost,
I was the only one visiting and my heart sank.
How can there be hope for the hopeless,
If no one shines the light for the lost?
I promised to come Thursday, bring strawberries,
And asked her to behave, as she smiled.
At the elevator a tear escaped my eye,
As I turned to see her spinning her wheels,
She was now part of this corral of lost souls.
Where the only conversation is their minds.
Thursday I will bring strawberries for everyone.

If you have but one true friend when you die you were truly blessed.
   ~* Mysteria *~

© Copyright 2001 Mysteria 1997 - All Rights Reserved
Kit McCallum
Administrator
Member Laureate
since 2000-04-30
Posts 14774
Ontario, Canada
1 posted 2001-08-21 10:03 PM

"As I looked around in that graveyard of the lost,
I was the only one visiting and my heart sank.
How can there be hope for the hopeless,
If no one shines the light for the lost?"

Oh Sharon ... this is so very sad. You've captured the hopeless, helpless feelings one encounters in these sorrowful situations. I worked in a nursing home for a time, and I saw this daily. It is so very upsetting. I'm glad you were able to make her smile and enjoy her time with you while you visited.  

Hugs to you  
/Kit

Flutterwings
since 2001-07-10
Posts 288
Maine
2 posted 2001-08-21 10:22 PM

Sharon, with a pen dipped in the blood of the lost souls............ you've written such a touching and moving piece. I know from where you speak, because my mom was in such a home. And everything you speak of I can associate with. We search our souls to find something consoling and hopeful to say, and we choke on our words. They, (I think) can see the sadness and hurt in our eyes. I'm so sorry for your friend, Sharon. I will say a prayer for God to console her, and you as well. Great write! Love and peace Maggie

SEA
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 5 Tours
Member Seraphic
since 2000-01-18
Posts 22676
with you
3 posted 2001-08-21 10:30 PM

this touches my heart completely. I'm so sorry your friend is going through this. I'm sorry you had to go through this. Hugs sent your way. big big hugs  
Irish Rose
Member Patricius
since 2000-04-06
Posts 10263

4 posted 2001-08-21 10:59 PM

Oh, my word, she looks just like my Aunt Ann who died in a nursing home  

God bless you.

Janet Marie
Member Laureate
since 2000-01-22
Posts 18554

5 posted 2001-08-22 12:22 PM

A corral of lonely souls turned to see who approached.
I saw the smile on her face as I came toward her,
Taking her hand so rough  with the gridlines,
Of so many years of sacrifice and toil.
I bent, kissed her wrinkled cheek, and smiled.
I saw the look of helplessness, and hopelessness,
In hollow eyes, that had once sparkled.
======================================

Arranging the flowers, she suddenly took my hand.
“This is it isn’t it?” she said.  I turned.
With a breaking heart, I had to say not to talk that way,
Reassure her that each new day she seemed better.
The acid of guilt these days was eating my soul, but,
For one hour, just one hour, she sat there smiling.
===================================

this just cuts into my soul tonite......
Sharon...you always say "youre not that great of a poet" and so on....
I got news for ya...this aches off the page and there wont be many who will have a dry eye after reading this...especially if they have had to go thru this...
anyone who can write with this much emotion and evoke the emotion IS A POET...
dont doubt it...dont doubt your talent.
thank you for sharing this...
prayers, thoughts and hugs to all involved.

Feels like Im dancin with truth and wisdom
Precious rhythm you are my guide
These days are sacred, my heart is humble
Oh warrior show me thy light

Martie
Member Empyrean
since 1999-09-21
Posts 28049
California
6 posted 2001-08-22 12:31 PM

Sharon--It is so sad that life must for some become so bleak at the end...my grandmother was such..and I take flowers so often to nursing homes and everyone looks at me with hope in their eyes.  I know your visits mean alot to her..you are special as is this poem!
Mysteria
Deputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 10 ToursDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
7 posted 2001-08-22 01:00 AM

That picture by the way is not Maggie, I would not put her picture up, that is a freephoto actually.  

To see someone so vital and active go to a wheelchair is most crippling for everyone who loves that person and for them.  I see a lot of you have either been through this or identify with this, and I only want to say one thing to anyone in this boat, go visit often - they need you.  Well two things   I want to thank Logan for contacting me with options I can now explore starting tomorrow, Logan you are a very special person indeed!  

Thank you all for reading, caring and sharing.

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (edited 08-22-2001).]

1slick_lady
Member Ascendant
since 2000-12-22
Posts 6088
standing on a shadow's lace
8 posted 2001-08-22 02:25 AM

this poem pulls at my heart...helen
kismetkelsey
since 2001-03-12
Posts 32
Canada
9 posted 2001-08-22 02:38 AM

Wow This was sad but so well written my friend..I can only hope she will absorb some of the obvious love you are showing her~Hugs to you~Cheryl
JamesMichael
Member Empyrean
since 1999-11-16
Posts 33336
Kapolei, Hawaii, USA
10 posted 2001-08-22 03:09 AM

Wonderful that you can visit and take strawberries...James
Martha Cowan
since 2001-03-08
Posts 240
Groves, Texas
11 posted 2001-08-22 07:38 AM

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Sharon....
What a beautiful and loving heart you have, my friend.  This has opened up the flood gate to tears this morning, as it is so tenderly and beautifully spoken, and it brings back so many memories of my grandparents and their final days in the nursing home, and most recently, my mother at only at 50 awaiting her final call to Heaven in one.  I remember the sadness I felt everytime I visited...and it is exactly as you have described it in this.  I remember the helplessness that overcame me everytime I came and went.  Thank you for sharing this with us, and I know beyond a shadow of doubt that Maggie knows and feels the love that you have for her.  And in answer to her question "this is it, isn't it?"...perhaps so on this earth, but there is a beautiful place awaiting her in Heaven and God will restore her youth, and she will have eternal life.
Hugs, smiles, and much love to you, ~*~dawn~*~

RSWells
Member Elite
since 2001-06-17
Posts 2533

12 posted 2001-08-22 09:07 AM

Who among us won't be there? The end is faced by all and meeting it is an individual handshake whose firmament of grip is determined by our own notion of where we're headed next. This is where faith not hope comes to play and you shouldn't be feeling guilty. Your heart is right and you have been there when others who perhaps should have been weren't. We can pray for an easy release and a better hereafter, we can hope that someone as kind is there for us.

"Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to decieve"

Lady In White
Deputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 TourDeputy Moderator 1 Tour
Member Elite
since 2001-02-12
Posts 2799
USA
13 posted 2001-08-22 09:40 AM

Everyone shall so appreciate your gifts, no matter which day you bring them, even if you come empty handed, you still arrive with your heart intact....

Ah...you are such a good friend, and a spirit of light...

my prayers are with you...

serenity blaze
Member Empyrean
since 2000-02-02
Posts 27738

14 posted 2001-08-22 11:10 AM

What do you say when it won’t get better than this?

and I smile to you---you "who-refuses-to-be-called-poet"--

This is remarkable...I could feel that cheek, so soft and delicate, and sense the tension of "there's an elephant in the livingroom" atmosphere...and the burden of helplessness on everyone. You, ARE a poet, lovie.

shadow974
since 2001-06-21
Posts 636
Michigan
15 posted 2001-08-22 11:22 AM

It tears at the heart. The emothional pain that we all must face. God bless you for making it a little easier for them.

Throw your heart out in front of you
And run out to catch it.
ARAB PROVERB

[This message has been edited by shadow974 (edited 08-22-2001).]

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
16 posted 2001-08-22 01:11 PM

1_slick lady - Man, it tears at mine too, this mess, thanks.

KismetKelsey - Thanks Cheryl, it was nice to see your comment this morning, you are a good friend and always there too.

James Michael ~ Sure is a good thing you are right! Thanks for reading.

Lady in White ~ How kind are your words - and I do thank  you for your constant hand of friendship.

Shadow974 ~ Man, I try believe me I try, but that is a hard place to cheer up let me tell you.

Now....Richard and Dawn (Martha) you two have been stuck with me through this whole emotional roller coaster of a journey so far, and I don't know what I would have done without you two, as you have been the glue holding my emotions on this loss together.  I have to say, I now believe it is easier to loose someone to death, than to see this decay.  However, with new information from Logan, I am giving to her daughter and son today maybe we can get her out of there at least to spend her final days the way she wishes, independent, and on her own.  I love you both, I hope you know that, you are great friends. x o

Serenity ~ Honey, your the greatest - and when I tell you that you use words like no one I know - the elephant in the living room is exactly who I am when I arrive (see, I should have thought of that?) Love you, and thanks for reading.

[This message has been edited by Mysteria (edited 08-22-2001).]

Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
17 posted 2001-08-22 01:18 PM

p.s. When I went to get the darn strawberries to drop off at 2 East, I laid a guilt trip on Safeway's Manager this morning about how all these people had shopped there for years and guess what?  He donated pies and ice cream for everyone on Friday (but only only Maggie's ward), and said he would supply "something" until the end of the year, every Friday. Yipee! The activity workers were thrilled, and so am I!

~*Homepage*~ http://www.mysteria-poetry.cityslide.com/contents/contents.cfm/722155

AJ MacNeil
since 2001-05-02
Posts 40

18 posted 2001-08-23 08:39 AM

Just beautiful Sharon ... when your heart speaks, hearts like mine sit up and take notice XO .. Andy
Mysteria
Member Laureate
since 2001-03-07
Posts 18328
British Columbia, Canada
19 posted 2001-08-23 05:12 PM

Well Andy you and Dawn have to make a 1/2 to meet this incredible lady, as we will be walking right by there, and then you will see what she does to your heart~love you, and thanks for the lookie loo.

~*Homepage*~ http://www.mysteria-poetry.cityslide.com/contents/contents.cfm/722155

Post A Reply Post New Topic ⇧ top of page ⇧ Go to Previous / Newer Topic Back to Topic List Go to Next / Older Topic
All times are ET (US). All dates are in Year-Month-Day format.
navwin » Archives » Open Poetry #15 » Thursday I Will Bring Strawberries For Everyone

Passions in Poetry | pipTalk Home Page | Main Poetry Forums | 100 Best Poems

How to Join | Member's Area / Help | Private Library | Search | Contact Us | Login
Discussion | Tech Talk | Archives | Sanctuary